-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

NTSF and the iMac?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,070 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted May 26 2014 - 08:41 AM

I've got a Free Agent Pro external hard drive I'd like to use with my iMac for backups, but it is NTSF and apparently that means I can only have read access on the iMac.

Anyone here have this problem?  I've checked out the data on the HD and I either have it on my iMac or I don't want it.  How can I get this HD into a file system that the iMac can read and write and, if possible, allow read and write on my Parallels windows side of the iMac?  This latter is a "nice to have" but no big deal if it can't be done.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,242 posts

Posted May 26 2014 - 08:55 AM

Johnny,

I believe you can do this as long as the Mac recognizes the drive...

1. Connect the drive to your Mac

2. Open Disc Utilities

3. Select the drive on the left panel

4. Click on ERASE tab on the top

5. Format: Mac OS Extended Journal

6. Put in a name for your drive

7. ERASE free space

That should make your drive completely readable on a Mac.

If the Mac doesn't recognize the drive, you could format it in Fat32 format 

on your Windows computer.  A Mac will recognize Fat32, but I would still

reformat it as explained above.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 7 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,070 posts

Posted May 26 2014 - 09:03 AM

Ron, that worked.  However "Erase Free Space" was greyed out and I had to select "Erase".  Since I didn't care about the data, that was no big deal.

Thank you.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,242 posts

Posted May 26 2014 - 09:06 AM

Okay...great!  Glad that worked.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 7 Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted May 26 2014 - 09:21 AM

If this backup is intended to be a bootable clone, you also need to verify that the partition table is set to GUID. Click here for how to check it and change it, if necessary.

#6 of 7 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,070 posts

Posted May 27 2014 - 10:55 AM

If this backup is intended to be a bootable clone, you also need to verify that the partition table is set to GUID. Click here for how to check it and change it, if necessary.

I was going to use Apple's backup system, I think it's called the Time Machine.  Is that a bootable clone?

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#7 of 7 Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,712 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 05:22 PM

Time Machine is a data recovery solution like Windows restore point, but isn't a bootable clone. You would need to use Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable image on an external HDD. You can boot a disk image using one of them (I use Superduper) then recover your latest data backup from Time Machine.
  • Sam Posten likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users