What's new

Vizio 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System or Energy Speaker System? (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Well being that I'm not ready yet to go the distance with a true AVR and a Oppo mulit-region Blu-ray, in other words a real setup, I'll have to go with either a good HTiB or a pre-package system for now. Currently on my still-new Vizio 70" E-Series is a 2.1 soundbar setup which is light-years ahead of the system it replaced (Sony WEGA 36" CRTV with a all-in-one Aiwa sound system). The Aiwa is about to kick the bucket anyway though I'm still getting some use out of it as it does add nicely to the sound from the Vizio 2.1 Sound Bar (with powered sub-woof).
However I did see, at the same price level, a highly recommended system from Energy which I'll take a good look at. Looking to do all this for this coming Christmas after I get our new bedroom TV (Vizio 47 M-Series) next month (birthday gift from my wife, we already agreed) which will replace a true antique (a still-operational Fisher 27" stereo CRTV, vintage 1986). Thinking of donating the Fisher TV to Disney EPCOT if they'll take it for their "history of electronics" display.

Oh and even with the Vizio 2.1 Sound Bar setup, I'm still wowed by it.

Opinions and advice sought. Thank You.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Why would you skip the Oppo? Maybe he wants to play SACDs and DVD Audio in addition to movies?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are cheaper options for that.And you can buy the (much needed) Darbee separate.Absolutely no need unless he wants Darbee(he bought Vizio, so maybe PQ is back burner). Or he needs the analog outputs.If he needs analog, get an SE.Otherwise, any BD player with another SACD/ DVD-A over HDMI player (Elite DV 49, etc)is a less expensive option.(Oppo, if all you are doing is 1 HDMI connection, is a waste...except for those rare people doing scaling with it)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I think you guys missed the OPs meaning - an Oppo was never in the cards, he only mentioned it in the sense of establishing a "gold standard" compared to the options he was considering - either a HTIB or pre-packaged system.To the OP: it is ALWAYS preferred to go with a pre-packaged system over HTIB. Pre-package systems give you an upgrade path so should an Oppo ever enter the discussion, you have that option open to you.Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha have good starter systems. Definitely get one with a powered subwoofer. If you're open to buying refurbs, check out Accessories4Less. They are an authorized dealer of factory refurbs so there's much more peace of mind in dealing with them.Just understand that the speakers will still be the weakest link of any pre-packaged system, but they are miles better than a HTIB and at least you'll be able to upgrade later on.Good luck!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
@Brad I have a few questions for you so that you can get better advice. 1. What is the goal for this upgrade? You looking for a better 2.1 or a full 5.1 setup?2. What is the budget for the upgrade?3. Do you have space/size requirements?4. You say you don't want a full AVR but why? 5. Are you going to upgrade your sources? How many sources do you have?

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ArmSC said:
@Brad I have a few questions for you so that you can get better advice.
1. What is the goal for this upgrade? You looking for a better 2.1 or a full 5.1 setup?
2. What is the budget for the upgrade?
3. Do you have space/size requirements?
4. You say you don't want a full AVR but why?
5. Are you going to upgrade your sources? How many sources do you have?
1. What is the goal for this upgrade? You looking for a better 2.1 or a full 5.1 setup?
Right now the goal is to get a nice basic full 5.1 setup. Be nice though to get something that has a upgrade path for the future with a nice 2.1 setup in our bedroom in addition.

2. What is the budget for the upgrade?
Right now its under 4 digits. I'm looking at by Christmas (including my Christmas gifts) at spending around:
1. $300-$400 for a multi-region blu-ray player. I was swayed by the Sony BDP-S6200 from Bombay Electronics but now Sony is releasing their BDP-S7200. Supposed to be better of course and it already looks nicer from the pictures. More like a real Blu-ray player and less like a alien cloaking device from Star Trek TOS, TNG, DS9 or VOY).
2. $300-$500 for a 5.1 sound system. After reading some other advice, I'm trying to stay away from those under $300 HTiB.

3. Do you have space/size requirements?
Right now yes, we're a little short on space for the next two years anyway when that could change. Which eliminated a system by Pioneer that looked nice but rather big. The Energy system mentioned (Energy RC-Micro 5.1) looked decent.

4. You say you don't want a full AVR but why?
Actually I DO want a full AVR but thanks mostly to the $2500 spent on a nice Carnival cruise (11 days in the Caribbean) for the wife, I have to compromise a little :(. Especially when I imagine what that $2500 could have bought for home theater (a nice multi-region Oppo to start) in addition to what I spent on the Vizio E-70. But AVR will be the path I want to eventually go.
Oh and as for that Vizio, I caught it at Wal-Mart on Black Friday 2013 (actually still Thanksgiving Day) for $990 (reg price at the time, $1698). Today it still goes for $1500. And I'm impressed as all dickens by the PQ although I know there's better TVs on the market (Vizio's M-series for example, I would have gone for Vizio's 80" M-series if I had $3400 to spend on it).

5. Are you going to upgrade your sources? How many sources do you have?
You'll have to educate me a little on this question. Are you talking cable services, satellite services, internet streaming or something I'm in the dark about still.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Before I spent money on that set(2.5 inch midrange...)...Scour Ebay(You can search by distance) and Craigslist for, anything, KEF KHT.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
So here is what I gathered from you responses.

[*]You want a full 5.1 but only want to spend $300-500 and a 2.1 sometime in the future.
[*]You will be buying a BRP for $300-400. (I would put more money into the sound rather than the BRP but that's me)
[*]You won't be buying until Christmas.
[*]You need something small.
[/list]
Sources are anything that you want to come through your HT setup. DVD player, BRP, cable boxes, Roku, ect are all sources. I was asking because if you go down the HTiB or Soundbar route you are limited on inputs into the system. However, since you're not opposed to going to a true AVR then you're good.

Since you're not going to be buying for another 6 months pricing is not that important. I'm assuming that you're asking for just some general recommendations from us. I think that Schan gave great advice about looking around CL for used gear. Since you have so much time you can start hunting bargains and piece it together when you run across something good.

However, if you wanted something to ponder look at something like this for a prepack example. You could also pair this Denon AVR with one these systems KEF, BA for a nice small setup. These are just examples of systems out there that you could use. Since you have time I would look around and try to go listen to some speakers systems to find out which ones you like.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ArmSC said:
So here is what I gathered from you responses.

[*]You want a full 5.1 but only want to spend $300-500 and a 2.1 sometime in the future.
[*]You will be buying a BRP for $300-400. (I would put more money into the sound rather than the BRP but that's me)
[*]You won't be buying until Christmas.
[*]You need something small.
[/list]
Sources are anything that you want to come through your HT setup. DVD player, BRP, cable boxes, Roku, ect are all sources. I was asking because if you go down the HTiB or Soundbar route you are limited on inputs into the system. However, since you're not opposed to going to a true AVR then you're good.

Since you're not going to be buying for another 6 months pricing is not that important. I'm assuming that you're asking for just some general recommendations from us. I think that Schan gave great advice about looking around CL for used gear. Since you have so much time you can start hunting bargains and piece it together when you run across something good.

However, if you wanted something to ponder look at something like this for a prepack example. You could also pair this Denon AVR with one these systems KEF, BA for a nice small setup. These are just examples of systems out there that you could use. Since you have time I would look around and try to go listen to some speakers systems to find out which ones you like.
Will definitely look into this. Would be perfect for the room I currently have and could eventually be upgraded once we move to new bigger digs.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well, you all pretty well talked me out of the Vizio 5.1 speaker package (price $298 at WalMart). Better to put that $298 toward a real AVR centered system. Will be adding that to my Christmas list, along with the region-free blu-ray (Sony BDP-E6200 or BDP-E7200 if that one is out by that time).
Gotta be careful on this board or a person could really learn some stuff.

Thanks all, stay in touch with any good suggestions.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ArmSC said:
I took a look at that Denon AVR and then checked out the next model up (E400) and I might go with that one due to the 4K capability which I may want to have for the future even though I don't yet have a 4K HDTV and it will be a few years before I get one. Another $60 or so more for the E400.

Oh November 1st (my Christmas Fund deposit day), come quickly.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
The 400 is a great AVR too...the 7.1 or 2 zone and the 4k are nice features. I'm thinking that by the time you're ready you might have even more/better options out.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Countdown, 3 weeks till my Christmas club funds come available. Pretty much settled on Denon E400 with a BA 5.1 speaker set. Saw one from BA o. Acc4Less site that comes in white but don't know if it's still available. On another tack, Vizio's 4K HDTV P-series starting to appear. Saw the 70" model at $2499. I want the 80" so series but it's not out yet.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I don't think that I would rush into a 4k unit just yet. I'm not sure that there are going to be enough 4k sources out yet to justify the price increase at this time. I would either hold off on the TV or get a new HD (non 4k) unit and ride it out for a few years.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Kyrsten Brad said:
Countdown, 3 weeks till my Christmas club funds come available. Pretty much settled on Denon E400 with a BA 5.1 speaker set. Saw one from BA o. Acc4Less site that comes in white but don't know if it's still available.On another tack, Vizio's 4K HDTV P-series starting to appear. Saw the 70" model at $2499. I want the 80" so series but it's not out yet.
Well shucks, Accessories4Less no longer has that BA XS 5.1 system I was wanting though I can get it thru Amazon (Listing for BA XS 5.1) for about $70 more. Drat, Drat and its Double Drat.

I'll have to send a note to Acc4Less to see if they can get another set at the price they initially offered (around $299 I believe).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Kyrsten Brad said:
Well shucks, Accessories4Less no longer has that BA XS 5.1 system I was wanting though I can get it thru Amazon (Listing for BA XS 5.1) for about $70 more. Drat, Drat and its Double Drat.I'll have to send a note to Acc4Less to see if they can get another set at the price they initially offered (around $299 I believe).
Undrat. It is back. (They can only sell what people return...)The onkyo 5600(better AVR, meh speakers) is the same price.Somehow they scrounged up some prior 1312XP for $220.There is a Yamaha for $300 that includes shipping.

iTylerA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
schan1269 said:
Undrat. It is back. (They can only sell what people return...)The onkyo 5600(better AVR, meh speakers) is the same price.Somehow they scrounged up some prior 1312XP for $220.There is a Yamaha for $300 that includes shipping.
Of the units mentioned, the Onkyo seems to be the better value in terms of price per feature. You can always purchase your BA speakers later. And if you're dead set on the BA speakers, I'd spend the extra money and get the speakers you want and the Denon E400 receiver which in my opinion is a better AVR than what comes with the 5600

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Well folks, after all that here's what I ended up going with (as a starter set):

AVR: Denon X2000 4K 7.1 Ch (next model up from the E400 I was originally set on for additional $50), factory refurb. Had a couple nice upgrades I liked from the E400. Got this from Accessories 4 Less.

Speaker Set: JBL-Leviton AEH-50/WH 5.1 Speaker set, including subwoof. I chose this over the BA XS 5.1 I originally was set on as the reviews for the JBL were all so positive (and $100 less than the BA set) on Amazon. Plus from the Amazon reviews, the BA subwoof had a habit of conking out after a year or so.

Later next year, I'll look to replace the two front L/R speakers with two standing floor tower units. This all replaces that old Aiwa all-in-one stereo unit (which included a optical connection for 5.1 sound).

This all is going onto the Vizio 70" E-series. I'm still loving the PQ of this set, though in the not too distant future, I'll be looking for a 80" 4K set. Also wondering if I could still use the Vizio 2.1 Sound Bar with the new setup (maybe as a center speaker or something, opinions?)

Now since I have to wait till Christmas to actually get my mitts on this new (or refurb) equipment, I'll have to update this then (or start a whole new thread with a review).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks