What's new

TCM Vault: Dark Crimes-Film Noir Thrillers, Volume 2 (7/7/14) (2 Viewers)

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
0dark-crimes-film-noir-thrillers-volume-2-dvd_500.jpg

TCM and Universal announce they will be releasing Volume 2 of Dark Crimes box-set. This set contains four films which includes; You and Me, Ministry of Fear, Undertow and Hollywood Story. Ministry of Fear is the only one from this set to already be on DVD. The first two films are from Fritz Lang and the last two are from William Castle.This will most likely be just like the Randolph Scott Westerns Collection that has just only two disks and not four like their older sets, so two movies will be put on one disk. The listing price on TCM's site is $39.99 and is available for Pre-Order.Digital Bonus Features on the DVD Include:-Introduction by Ben Mankiewicz-Publicity Stills-Scene Stills-Behind-the-Scenes Photos-Movie Posters-Lobby Cards-Biography-TCMDb Article-Julie Adams on Hollywood Story-Eddie Muller on films

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm actually quite surprised Ministry of Fear was included here. Criterion's blu-ray and DVD wasn't released that long ago. Look's like Universal's sub-licenses aren't as exclusive as they appear.

In it for the rest though. I just hope that the transfers here aren't as poor as what was offered in Vol 1 (Aside from Phantom Lady). Fingers crossed!

On a side note, I'm glad that TCM shop finally has a permanent savings option on their shipping. This item just makes it under their free shipping price.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'm just thankful Universal is cranking something out of the vaults!! They are far too few and far between but I'll buy this set if it will help motivate Universal to finally do more of these!

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I'm happy Universal is putting something out . But with all the noirs they own why include a film that was just released by Criterion ? I love Ministry of Fear . I bought the Criterion . So many other titles they could have choose , not on DVD or Blu .

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
Also, You and Me is an odd and interesting movie but it's a real stretch to call it a film noir.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I bought volume 1 primarily for the Alan Ladd films. I already have the Criterion of Ministry of Fear. If the Universal TCM Vault would put out an Alan Ladd collection, a classic horror collection, or countless other films that I have long wanted, I'll go for that, but in my case, this volume is nonessential.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Livius said:
Also, You and Me is an odd and interesting movie but it's a real stretch to call it a film noir.
It has music by Kurt Weill. That alone makes it interesting for music lovers. It is an odd film indeed.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Seeing how TCM seems to be completely ripping off people by re-releasjing the recent "Lady From Shanghai" blu-ray, I will never again pre-order from them. Unless they offer a replacement disc for those who already ordered the title, I won't buy anymore sets regardless of how much I enjoy their noir and pre-code sets.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I'm not sure why they added Ministry of Fear, but my best guess is that they can get a little more sales. I am glad Universal has joined with TCM to bring us vault collections, but I hope to see another Audie Murphy Western collection.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I still can't get over the poor quality of their first film noir set. The Glass Key and Phantom Lady look and sound absolutely terrible! If only they would have given the films the cursory remastering they gave films in their commercial retail sets, or even when they first started this program! One of the most disappointing sets they ever released. God only knows what to expect from this second set.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
My brother just got his yesterday and it's a two disk set with two out of four films having great quality, which are Ministry of Fear and Hollywood Story. I have uploaded few screenshots from my computer using VLC which is on my blog. This is a good release, but I do wish the other two films could've been better.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
jdee28 said:
I still can't get over the poor quality of their first film noir set. The Glass Key and Phantom Lady look and sound absolutely terrible! If only they would have given the films the cursory remastering they gave films in their commercial retail sets, or even when they first started this program! One of the most disappointing sets they ever released. God only knows what to expect from this second set.
Agree 100% - that was such a crappy release that I was almost tempted to get the Universal DVD imports of the movies on this set but The Phantom Lady isnt available anywhere as far as know..

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
David Steigman said:
Agree 100% - that was such a crappy release that I was almost tempted to get the Universal DVD imports of the movies on this set but The Phantom Lady isnt available anywhere as far as know..
Phantom Lady is available on DVD in the U. K. Obviously it will have the PAL 4% speed-up.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes I saw that :) I did research it...DVD Beaver still favors the TCM set over the Universals..

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
So far I've watched Undertow and Hollywood Story and I am happy with the quailty and both are solid movies. I am grateful to just have these movies and my only complaint is I want more of these Universal noirs- heck I wish they would clean out the vault and put everything out not just the noirs . Honestly this is a good set in spite of the double dipping on Ministry of Fear. It's worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks