Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

A few words about...™ McLintock! -- in Blu-ray (Part Deux)

Blu-ray Paramount A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,597 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:10 PM

I was one of those folks who purchased the Olive release of McLintock!, kinda figuring that it was legit, since they had a license deal with Paramount.

I was wrong.  And I wasn't happy with the product.

Now comes Paramount, who has the license with Batjac, the Wayne family production entity.  They've seen fit to release the real McLintock! - legit like.

And beyond a bit of minus density (occasional tiny white spots - dirt on the original negative), it's a gorgeous affair.

None of the high contrast garbage as seen in the Olive release, as taken from a dye transfer print.

Beautiful color, densities, black levels, whites, resolution.

Everything is finally in place.

Great, rollicking piece of early '60s Wayne entertainment.

Thrilled to see the real McLintock, from original film elements.

Accept no substitutes.  Love this film!

Image 4.5

Audio 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

• Reed Grele and SAhmed like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:22 PM

I have to agree with you there regarding this release versus the Olive one.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:36 PM

I find myself in the position where I do not want to bash Olive too aggressively, purely from the standpoint of self-interest: I've bought so many of their other BR's (which, unlike McLintock!, may not be supplanted by a "studio" release), that I would hate to think I've spent the money on "garbage". I'd much rather think I have an assortment of gems on my shelves.

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:38 PM

I find myself in the position where I do not want to bash Olive too aggressively, purely from the standpoint of self-interest: I've bought so many of their other BR's (which, unlike McLintock!, may not be supplanted by a "studio" release), that I would hate to think I've spent the money on "garbage". I'd much rather think I have an assortment of gems on my shelves.

In fairness, compared to the Paramount release, the Olive BD is lacking and by a large margin in my opinion.  With that said, I'm glad Olive is around.

• Rodney and David Weicker like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,011 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:40 PM

Great news!  I really appreciate Paramount putting out a blu release of a public domain film.

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 22 2014 - 12:44 PM

POPULAR

Great news!  I really appreciate Paramount putting out a blu release of a public domain film.

Now, how about One-Eyed Jacks?

• Stephen_J_H, willyTass, Matt Hough and 4 others like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted May 22 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for the favorable review, Robert...just got my copy 2 days ago but haven't had opportunity to see for myself...will be doing so this weekend and this is great news!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk

Supporting Actor

• 536 posts
  • LocationVancouver, B.C.

Posted May 22 2014 - 05:18 PM

Now, how about One-Eyed Jacks?

Somebody at Paramount thought it was a good idea to put out a "PRESENTED IN ITS ORIGINAL VISTAVISION FORMAT" (as printed on the back of the jacket) laserdisc of it back in 1994. Doesn't he or she work there anymore?

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 09:34 PM

POPULAR

Somebody at Paramount thought it was a good idea to put out a "PRESENTED IN ITS ORIGINAL VISTAVISION FORMAT" (as printed on the back of the jacket) laserdisc of it back in 1994. Doesn't he or she work there anymore?

Ron Smith made possible the excellent Blu-ray releases of White Christmas and The Ten Commandments and would also have been the Man for bringing One Eyed Jacks to Blu-ray. He doesn't work there anymore as he probably spent too much money to make the VistaVision movies look really good when subpar releases like Funny Face and War and Peace now seem good enough for Paramount.

But with this re-release of McLintock! maybe it indicates a turn of the tides? One Eyed Jacks may currently be the most sought after VistaVision title and it seems ironic that we don't even have a proper DVD, let alone Blu-ray.

So please Paramount, give One Eyed Jacks the same respect and attention that you gave McLintock!, I will definitely buy it!

• Mark Cappelletty, Stephen_J_H, Will Krupp and 7 others like this

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 914 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 09:50 AM

Gonna grab the Paramount version when the price comes down a bit.  Then I'll send the Olive release through the shredder.

Mark

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,117 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 10:29 AM

Soooooo, I have to admit I've never seen this.  Is it worth a blind buy?  I've been hearing wonderful things about it for years and I can't imagine not liking anything with Maureen O'Hara in it.

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   FWAJMB

FWAJMB

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 10:52 AM

Now, if only we could get a properly restored and remastered HONDO in 3D!  Or maybe even THE ALAMO (wink, wink, nod, nod).

• ljgranberry likes this

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 23 2014 - 11:46 AM

I think the only reason Hondo isn't out in 3D is a lack of will/desire to do so, possibly based on the sales figures from the 2D release. The 3D elements have been restored and mastered for Real D 3D, so it would be a matter of prepping those files for a 3D BD. The Alamo, however, is a different matter altogether.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 935 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted May 23 2014 - 12:13 PM

Presumably Warners have the right to distribute Paramount VistaVision titles at present. It seems unlikely to me that One Eyed Jacks will be released when High Society (MGM VistaVision) has not been released. Hopefully Olive will be able to continue releasing VV titles when the agreement with Warners expires.

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 23 2014 - 12:26 PM

Soooooo, I have to admit I've never seen this. Is it worth a blind buy? I've been hearing wonderful things about it for years and I can't imagine not liking anything with Maureen O'Hara in it.

Lite comedy western with a great supporting cast. I agree with you about Maureen O'Hara and she does not disappoint IMHO. Chill Wills, Jerry Van Dyke and Yvonne DeCarlo play their roles with flair.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted May 23 2014 - 12:41 PM

Presumably Warners have the right to distribute Paramount VistaVision titles at present. It seems unlikely to me that One Eyed Jacks will be released when High Society (MGM VistaVision) has not been released. Hopefully Olive will be able to continue releasing VV titles when the agreement with Warners expires.

What does one have to do with the other just because both are VistaVision films, but produced by two different film companies?  Unless, you have intimate knowledge of Warner's plans regarding High Society.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 23 2014 - 02:04 PM

Couple of things concerning the Paramount/Warner agreement. We don't know what titles Warner has the releasing rights to and more than likely not a title in Public Domain that needs work. Warner uses the transfers that are provided by Paramount. Also agreement is renewable for additional years if agreed by both companies. Since there is two years left on this agreement, the Blu-Ray business would have to change dramatically for Paramount to get back into the releasing business.
  • OliverK likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,952 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted May 23 2014 - 06:09 PM

thanks for the review, if I don't win this, it defiantly in the buy list, and soon :D

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,685 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 10:07 PM

Couple of things concerning the Paramount/Warner agreement. We don't know what titles Warner has the releasing rights to and more than likely not a title in Public Domain that needs work. Warner uses the transfers that are provided by Paramount. Also agreement is renewable for additional years if agreed by both companies. Since there is two years left on this agreement, the Blu-Ray business would have to change dramatically for Paramount to get back into the releasing business.

Warner will probably be able to select certain titles they like as they will handle the distribution on their side but indeed there seems to be the misconception that the company that handles the distribution will now also handle the preparation of the masters used for the release.

From all we know that is not true for the Warner/Paramount deal nor has it been true for the Fox/MGM deal so praise and criticism for the picture and sound quality of the movies that actually get released will still have to go to the rights holder.

As for One Eyed Jacks I am quite certain that Warner would see the potential that the title has IF Paramount were to get down to the business of actually creating a preferably 4k master from the OCN. And certainly Paramount would not put in the work in the first place if they were not assured of its timely release on Blu-ray.

Imo One Eyed Jacks is such a special film that if it gets done we will see it at Cannes and at other film festivals and also in general release in Brando retrospectives. After all it is the only movie directed by one of the most iconic actors of all time and not a bad one either.
  • willyTass and ahollis like this

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 23 2014 - 10:53 PM

Warner will probably be able to select certain titles they like as they will handle the distribution on their side but indeed there seems to be the misconception that the company that handles the distribution will now also handle the preparation of the masters used for the release.

From all we know that is not true for the Warner/Paramount deal nor has it been true for the Fox/MGM deal so praise and criticism for the picture and sound quality of the movies that actually get released will still have to go to the rights holder.

As for One Eyed Jacks I am quite certain that Warner would see the potential that the title has IF Paramount were to get down to the business of actually creating a preferably 4k master from the OCN. And certainly Paramount would not put in the work in the first place if they were not assured of its timely release on Blu-ray.

Imo One Eyed Jacks is such a special film that if it gets done we will see it at Cannes and at other film festivals and also in general release in Brando retrospectives. After all it is the only movie directed by one of the most iconic actors of all time and not a bad one either.

Completely agree. If Paramount would create a good transfer then it could happen from Warner. However, as we learned from the HATARI release it's up to Paramount. I keep seeing that people keep blaming Warner's for things they have no control over.
  • OliverK likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Paramount, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users