Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Win a copy of McLintock!

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 of 98 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 05 2014 - 08:59 AM

FYI sorry for the late notice, but we decided to extend contest through today.  We will pick and notify winners tomorrow.

#82 of 98 OFFLINE   JohnRa

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted June 05 2014 - 10:38 AM

Rio Grande - One of Wayne's best acting jobs.  Ford takes the time to let Wayne's face show us character depth.  And Wayne and Maureen O'Hara were perfect as separated husband and wife.  A beautiful movie in many ways.

#83 of 98 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted June 05 2014 - 02:30 PM

I liked "The Quiet Man" with Wane and O'Hara trading shots at each other.

#84 of 98 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 04:34 AM

Has anyone actually mentioned McLINTOCK! as a favorite?  I don't recall seeing it mentioned.  I love the film.  In many ways, it is THE definitive John Wayne film.  It has all the elements that made him a great film presence, and defined him, personally.  G.W. McLintock is a strong conservative, with little time for liberals, who makes his own way, and is mistrustful of the government, much like Wayne, himself.  The entire cast lets loose and has so much fun.  Because they're having so much fun, it's a lot of fun to see.  Definitely in my top 5 favorite films of his.

#85 of 98 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,900 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted June 06 2014 - 08:44 AM

oops...  for me, McLintock isn't one I "just love".  :P    Of course, all I've ever watched (i think) is a super lame dollarstore DVD.  I've known about the "to hell I'm NOT!" part thanks to Rich Little all those years. Love that!   But I think I first saw McLintock in complete form in the 2000s on a dollar DVD.  Not the best first impression.  (so to speak)

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#86 of 98 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted June 06 2014 - 09:26 AM

I saw it on a double bill with THE THREE STOOGES IN ORBIT, on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, 1963.

#87 of 98 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,081 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 06 2014 - 12:11 PM

I picked it since I think John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara make a great team and this is my favorite pairing of them. 

There are several John Wayne movies that I love more, but they're not Westerns. 

• John Maher_289910 likes this

#88 of 98 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted June 07 2014 - 12:12 AM

Our three randomly drawn winners are:

Richard Stammer

Vegas 1 (need first name for profile)

Leo Ames

Congrats to our three winners.  Please PM me your name and shipping address (no POBs) so we can get this sent.  For the rest of you, better luck next time and consider supporting HTF when you purchase McLintock!

• LeoA and John Maher_289910 like this

#89 of 98 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 07 2014 - 02:08 PM

I'd like thank everyone who contributed to this thread. It was a real pleasure reading everybody's thoughts on their favorite John Wayne movie. To me, it seems The Searchers was the clear winner, which seems absolutely right.
  • Adam Gregorich likes this

#90 of 98 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 07 2014 - 03:21 PM

This is the first time I've looked at this thread as I'd already ordered McLintock!. I would have chosen She Wore A Yellow Ribbon. A stunning film & a great performance by the Duke...& I would have thought it would have been out on Blu-ray by now, oh well.

Oh, & McLintock! does play fine on region B machines.

#91 of 98 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,839 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 07 2014 - 03:23 PM

Cheers to the winners. I just orders my copy and it shopped today. My Olive version is now in my coaster collection. :-)
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#92 of 98 OFFLINE   Vegas 1

Vegas 1

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted June 23 2014 - 12:01 PM

Just received my winning copy of McLintock in the mail today. Thanks HTF!

#93 of 98 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 01:53 PM

Oh cool!

You mean we actually do mail out prizes?   :o

All kidding aside, congrats and enjoy!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#94 of 98 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,081 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted June 23 2014 - 05:41 PM

Mine arrived today as well. 

#95 of 98 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,549 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 06:14 PM

Yes, congrats to the winners. My copy from B & N should arrive this week as well.

#96 of 98 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 26 2014 - 12:55 PM

I wasn't one of the lucky winners, but my Amazon-bought copy of the movie arrived yesterday, and I watched it today.

What a gorgeous transfer! Thoroughly enjoyed just watching the high definition image with its ultra-strong color and excellent sharpness. Great job all around!

#97 of 98 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 01:30 PM

It is an almost impossible task for me to select just a single JW western to rate as a favorite. Basically, I'll have to pick one out of the dozens I could list...so here goes:

The Shepherd Of The Hills

This was Duke's first color film, and also first directed by longtime pal Henry Hathaway. At its core is an intense human drama played out between John Wayne and Harry Carey.  Add on top of that some of the best character actors of the 1940s (and an absolutely stunning Betty Field), and there you have my favorite John Wayne western.

At least that is how I'm feeling right now... :)

So I'm watching Shepherd Of The Hills right now, and by golly, this is surely an incredibly film. Guess I was right, when I made this post. This is some fantastic film!
  • David_B_K likes this

#98 of 98 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,549 posts

Posted September 14 2014 - 04:47 PM

I don't really this of it as a western, or even a 'John Wayne movie' as such. But, it is certainly an interesting film with a great cast and a melancholy feel about it. Sort of reminded me of Trail of the Lonesome Pine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users