What's new

The Match Game (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Does anyone else watch this gameshow?

My housemates and I got digital cable about 6 months ago and every time it comes on the Gameshow Network we watch it. I dont know why. Its kinda addicting. Gene Rayburn and Richard Dawson are pretty weird.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
Growing up, we watched it regularly. It was a lot of fun, with the sexual innuendo being pretty dicey for its day.

Now, it just seems dated.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It's funny watching gameshows with "celebrities" you've never heard of.

There was a new Match Game a few years back. It was pretty much the same thing with the same calibre of celebrities.

MikeAW

Second Unit
I remember "The Match Game" with Gene Rayburn, very fondly.

As fellow LatchKey Children will attest, I believe it was on The Tube late afternoons, and was exceptionally interesting, and somewhat covertly educational, too, as a babysitter until the parents came home.

Rayburn and the guests were witty for their time, in the sense they didn't take it seriously at all, and you could see everyone had lots of genuine fun doing the show. The fun was creative and catchy !

What more can you ask for and not get today ?

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
When we got the gameshow network, my wife and I became addicted to watching the match game. I think they were all drunk when doing the show. And they are always smoking ... who knows what. Very funny show. And you're right, there is a lot of racey humor for the day.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
We have the gameshow network here also, and my wife and I enjoy the show a lot. We play along and have a rule here that you have to just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind when Gene reads the bit. Some of our answers would get us banned :D
They all looked like they had a blast on the show, each and every day.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I think they were all drunk when doing the show. And they are always smoking ... who knows what.
Thank you! Finally someone who agrees with me. Not only do they have the ugliest people on that show but they are all smacked off their asses! Very funny to watch when nothing else is on!

Seb

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yes ..this is my favorite game show ever. when i was little my mom and i watched this all the time. there is a daytime and a nightime version of the origional show.

the night version called match game pm was even a little more risque them the day version.

everyone does look like they are having fun on the panel.

in 1985 came the Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour, that i vaguely remember but it somehow combined both shows into one big hour long show with bowzer from sha na na as the host of the second half hour.

in 1990 there was a new version that had a new host that wasn't very good at all it comes on 1pm eastern on the game show channel.

then 1998 another version with nell carter as the main celebrity panelist came on late at night but that show was unwatchable.

there also seems to be a version that aired in the 60's with rayburn but i never saw that version.

i told you it was my fav game show!!

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Match Game Trivia:

The original Match Game from the sixties was a different show entirely. Rayburn was the host, but that and the title are just about the only things the same. It had two three member teams competing (one celbrity and two regular folks). The goal was to match your teammates for points.

Regarding the "drinking"... Well, they shot five shows in a single day with (if memory serves) two before lunch and three afterward. There was quite a bit of drinking at lunch and the celebs were quite a bit looser in the later week shows. And yes, they often kept cups of booze nearby during the afternoon shows.

I loved the show as a kid as well and they are still a lot of fun to watch.

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks