Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Godzilla (2014) Reviews/Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#161 of 174 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, I've been thinking of that film.  I think I'll finally watch my Criterion BD of it this upcoming holiday weekend.

Yep. The Criterion BD is the one I watched. I watched the Japanese version twice: with and with out the commentary. I don't listen to commentary tracks very often, but I will recommend the track on the Criterion. I was only going to sample it in order to see what it was like and ended up listening to the whole track. The Godzilla film historian doing the commentary managed to keep it pretty interesting.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#162 of 174 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,072 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 06 2014 - 04:54 PM

So as Godzilla limps along to $200 million domestically, at this point it has grossed about 20% less than the'98 version worldwide adjusted for inflation.

Was the hype for this one overblown? Bad word of mouth? Audience disinterest in Godzilla? I was hoping it would have made more even tho I thought it was just ok. It's gotta sting the fans and filmmakers to have to concede boxoffice defeat to Emmerich's infamous version.

I have hope for the sequel as the groundwork has been laid for great Godzilla potential.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#163 of 174 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,457 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 06 2014 - 06:23 PM

Was the hype for this one overblown? Bad word of mouth? Audience disinterest in Godzilla?

I think the problem is that the game has changed. In 1998, there was still a movie that was THE movie of the summer and if memory serves, Godzilla was that movie that summer. In 2014, Godzilla is just another blockbuster of the week between all the other blockbusters of the week so it's bound to have done worse.

#164 of 174 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,072 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 06 2014 - 11:52 PM

When Godzilla '98 opened, it was also preceded by a tremendous amount of hype and good buzz. However it was expected to open huge and it didn't and was considered a major boxoffice disappointment. I remember it was supposed to be the event of the summer. Supposed to be.

This Godzilla is definitely the better film, even tho I do like the '98 version which is goofy but fun. The main thing they got right here is that Godzilla is a hero, not the villain which I thought was the fatal flaw in the '98 version.

Still, this new Godzilla should have done better. Although I guess it has done just well enough.

#165 of 174 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,457 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 07 2014 - 03:57 AM

When Godzilla '98 opened, it was also preceded by a tremendous amount of hype and good buzz. However it was expected to open huge and it didn't and was considered a major boxoffice disappointment. I remember it was supposed to be the event of the summer. Supposed to be.

I took a look at the top grossing movies from that year and I had forgotten about other big summer action movies like Armageddon and Deep Impact (surprisingly to me, DI did a few million dollars more business than Godzilla). It was nice to see that Saving Private Ryan was the biggest grosser that year.

It's amazing to see that about 15 years ago, people still went to something other than sequels, prequels, reboots, remakes, comic book adaptations or teen book series adaptations. Not that the majority of the top 10 movies from 1998 are particularly good but at least audiences saw something other than what was familiar.

#166 of 174 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,191 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 07 2014 - 05:09 AM

And word of mouth quickly got out that Bryan Cranston isn't actually an important part of the movie. The majority is lead by two bland unknowns.

Misleading marketing will get people in the seats to start, but I suppose it can generate offsetting Ill-will and push people away after initial reviews.

#167 of 174 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,147 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 07 2014 - 06:16 AM

This Godzilla is definitely the better film, even tho I do like the '98 version which is goofy but fun. The main thing they got right here is that Godzilla is a hero, not the villain which I thought was the fatal flaw in the '98 version.

Still, this new Godzilla should have done better. Although I guess it has done just well enough.

Why, he was villain in the original film?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#168 of 174 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,072 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 07 2014 - 08:05 AM

Why, he was villain in the original film?

He was treated as such. At the climax on the Brooklyn Bridge, the crowd in the film cheered when he was killed, expecting the crowd in the audience to do the same. My audience groaned since for the most part,Godzilla should be a sympathetic character. That's one of the few things the new film got right. The audience cheered for Godzilla.

#169 of 174 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 383 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted July 07 2014 - 10:18 PM

I think the problem is that the game has changed. In 1998, there was still a movie that was THE movie of the summer and if memory serves, Godzilla was that movie that summer. In 2014, Godzilla is just another blockbuster of the week between all the other blockbusters of the week so it's bound to have done worse.

It's amazing that a film these days could nudge $200 million domestically, and $500 million internationally, and still be considered unsuccessful.

If a sequel is made , I doubt it would make as much money as this initial installment.

• TravisR likes this

#170 of 174 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,561 posts

Posted July 08 2014 - 12:15 AM

700,000,000 globally and its considered disappointing. This demonstrates just how out of control Hollywood expectations and costs have become.

• TravisR likes this
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#171 of 174 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,147 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 08 2014 - 02:04 AM

He was treated as such. At the climax on the Brooklyn Bridge, the crowd in the film cheered when he was killed, expecting the crowd in the audience to do the same. My audience groaned since for the most part,Godzilla should be a sympathetic character. That's one of the few things the new film got right. The audience cheered for Godzilla.

He wasn't in the original film nor was he in the Godzilla vs King Kong film.  Each film is different so he can be a villain or not depending on the screen play.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#172 of 174 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,072 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 08 2014 - 10:56 AM

He wasn't in the original film nor was he in the Godzilla vs King Kong film. Each film is different so he can be a villain or not depending on the screen play.

Right. But like I said, for the most part, he should be a sympathetic character. There have been a few Gozilla films where he was the villain, the difference being the people on screen and we the audience knew that.

The '98 version, IMO, created a sympathetic Godzilla. However he was treated as a villain by most onscreen, and I felt a disconnect when he was killed and I was expected to cheer along with those in the movie. I think audiences want Godzilla to be a hero nowadays as evidenced by the new film.

Still enjoyed it tho. ;)

#173 of 174 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,072 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted July 08 2014 - 03:10 PM

700,000,000 globally and its considered disappointing. This demonstrates just how out of control Hollywood expectations and costs have become.

The current total worldwide is $489 million not $700 million. But I can see how LouA's post could be misinterpreted as that. So if you go by the 3x budget rule, it has just broken even.

#174 of 174 LouA

LouA

Second Unit

• 383 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted July 09 2014 - 07:14 AM

The current total worldwide is $489 million not $700 million. But I can see how LouA's post could be misinterpreted as that. So if you go by the 3x budget rule, it has just broken even.

Looking at my post , I can see that it  was a little confusing . Still Godzilla continues to generate  box office receipts both domestically and around the world , and it hasn't been released in Japan yet.  So it will hit $500 million worldwide , but not $700 million !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users