Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Euro Blu-ray Review: MIGHTY APHRODITE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 05:26 AM

This review is made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

Notes on my reviews: I do not offer plot summaries in most cases, as these can be found on a million other sites, but rather focus instead on what people who shop for overseas Blu-rays want to know: the image and sound presentation, default playback settings, subtitles, audio choices, etc. My equipment: Panasonic TC-P55UT50 Plasma monitor (3-D capable); Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3-D Blu-ray player; LG BD-360 all-region Blu-ray player; Denon AVE-E200 5.1 Surround receiver. All aspect ratios are physically measured on the Panasonic screen, which has been set to eliminate overscan.

MIGHTY APHRODITE (1995)

LABEL: Smile Entertainment
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Sweden
REGION: All-Region, confirmed
ASPECT RATIO: 1.78:1
C/BW: Color
SOUND: Supposedly Dolby Digital Stereo, but this is a Woody Allen disc, so....2.0 mono.
SUBTITLES: Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish
    BONUS MATERIAL: Uh-uh.
CHAPTERS: 14

If you’ve not seen this film yet (or, even if you have), you’re in for a treat. Mira Sorvino won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for this, and very deservedly so. She is beyond hilarious, yet manages to create a fully-dimensional and sympathetic character.

The disc looks and sounds excellent, Color including flesh tones are true. There is what I would say is an accurate retention of grain, and the image is film-like. Contrast, black levels and shadow detail very acceptable. I see no DNR or edge enhancement.

When first loaded, you have a choice of subtitles, but not the option to have none. You have to remove the subtitles using your remote. Movie begins immediately after that.

The disc is housed in a somewhat thicker Blu-ray case than those provided us in the U.S.

This review was made possible with the help of www.DaaVeeDee.com

• Mark Walker and AnthonyClarke like this

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted May 19 2014 - 12:01 PM

Totally agree, I have this BD and it is quite wonderful, colorful and sharp with nice grain as stated.  Thank you Dick and thank you Sweden. Just please send us MORE!

• Mark Walker likes this

#3 of 4 ONLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,041 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted May 31 2014 - 05:52 PM

I'll have to search for this one. Or maybe it'll be given an Australian release. It's one of my very favourite woody Allen movies and Mia is just sensational.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,614 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 09:23 AM

Anthony,

Free shipping of this title on eBay from this seller:

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users