Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: All That Jazz (Dual Format)

Criterion BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,528 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 16 2014 - 04:48 PM

I consider myself lucky to have seen Ann Reinking perform live on stage in a revival of Bye Bye Birdie (with Tommy Tune). She is quite a dancer, and one of the reasons I hold All That Jazz so dear.
  • Mark Walker and MatthewA like this

#22 of 32 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,810 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 16 2014 - 04:55 PM

This is also a brazen repost from the "Criterion Blu" thread:

• David Weicker likes this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#23 of 32 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,528 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 16 2014 - 05:24 PM

Thanks for that, Mike. I followed the link and got to see the Bye Bye Life production number which ended the movie. This is going to be a stunning blu-ray!

#24 of 32 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,154 posts

Posted May 16 2014 - 08:58 PM

I'm a little confused by the 3.0 soundtrack-  is that just left/center/right with no surrounds= channel?

Vincent

I assume it would be left right surround with a phantom center as typical with dolby ltrt tracks?

#25 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,151 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 02:54 AM

I had the privilege of projecting this in 35mm recently, can't wait for this Blu.

Curious though - what precisely is Fox's history with the movie? Obviously, it's a co-presentation of Fox and Columbia - neither studio's logo opens the film, it goes straight into opening credits - but during the big dream sequences, the clapboards only list Columbia Pictures, suggesting that Fox came in later, and the print's actual copyright line lists only "Columbia Pictures Industries."

Was this one of those situations like Fox had with Paramount on TITANIC, where late in the project Columbia needed a partner to assume some of the ballooning budget, and in exchange for the funds, the original studio completely gave up domestic rights to the film?

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#26 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,265 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 09:18 AM

It's Showtime Folks!

Now Available for Preorder.  Thanks for supporting us!

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

(And I just preordered my copy before any of you....SO THERE!)
  • Mark Walker likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#27 of 32 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 04:37 PM

Pre-ordered using the HTF link

#28 of 32 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 04:52 PM

I assume it would be left right surround with a phantom center as typical with dolby ltrt tracks?

But a Dolby LT/RT track would be encoded as 2-channel.

Vincent

#29 of 32 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,274 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 17 2014 - 06:08 PM

This was not a Dolby Stereo film. IIRC, there were some mag stereo prints, so 3.0 would be an accurate representation of the original mix (4-track stereo with no surrounds). This has never been a very surround-heavy film to begin with.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#30 of 32 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted May 17 2014 - 06:30 PM

This was not a Dolby Stereo film. IIRC, there were some mag stereo prints, so 3.0 would be an accurate representation of the original mix (4-track stereo with no surrounds). This has never been a very surround-heavy film to begin with.

Absolutely correct. When we played ALL THAT JAZZ I was surprised it was not in Dolby Stereo. I even called Fox to make sure we did not get a wrong print. We spent a pretty penny on equipping our Theatres with Dolby Stereo and constantly spent days making sure we had correct prints that were Dolby encoded. Ah, those were the days!
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#31 of 32 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted May 17 2014 - 06:33 PM

Absolutely correct. When we played ALL THAT JAZZ I was surprised it was not in Dolby Stereo. I even called Fox to make sure we did not get a wrong print. We spent a pretty penny on equipping our Theatres with Dolby Stereo and constantly spent days making sure we had correct prints that were Dolby encoded. Ah, those were the days!

As soon as I made my original post (which I have now removed), I suddenly had a look at a copy of the original poster on eBay, and there was no mention of Dolby Stereo on there. It seems unless otherwise specified on the poster, a film was always recorded in mono originally. The film made its home video debut in 1980, and stereo-recorded VHS was introduced in 1982.

• ahollis likes this

#32 of 32 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted September 25 2014 - 04:06 PM

I guess this is the best place to post this. The Matt Zoller Seitz video essay from the announcement is online with an explanation on why it was dropped from the disc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users