Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

TCFHE Press Release: The Man With No Name Trilogy (Blu-ray) (Re-Release)

Fox BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#241 of 257 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,171 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 06:27 AM

"By dragging out an 87,000 year-old cameraman whos memory may not be what it used to be?"

Yeah, what we need instead is the opinion of the angry film nerd from the internet. Or some older dudes who saw this back in the dayz. ;)

At this point it seems that we don't have any proper reference how the film originally looked (color wise). Perhaps they waited too long and many key people are gone.

#242 of 257 Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Second Unit

• 352 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 07:41 AM

"By dragging out an 87,000 year-old cameraman whos memory may not be what it used to be?"

Yeah, what we need instead is the opinion of the angry film nerd from the internet. Or some older dudes who saw this back in the dayz. ;)

At this point it seems that we don't have any proper reference how the film originally looked (color wise). Perhaps they waited too long and many key people are gone.

Why wouldn't the original Italian prints be considered a proper reference?

Coming from MGM in 2015 Fully restored and remastered "The Alamo" Starring John Wayne*

*This statement by no means supported by MGM or its affiliates.

#243 of 257 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted June 16 2014 - 07:52 AM

As soon as someone gives me a time code for that 'green sky' shot I'll compare the cap to what's on my projector.  I'll then take my own cap and compare the two.

2:41:16

Here's my video-comparison between film and Caps-a-holics' screen capture: 

Please ignore the colours in the video, the camera screws them up, but I think it should be reasonably clear that there's no difference.

• Persianimmortal likes this

#244 of 257 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,171 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 08:05 AM

"Why wouldn't the original Italian prints be considered a proper reference?"

Yes, I mainly meant the actual filmmakers. Like when DOP or director is involved with the new transfer.

#245 of 257 SAhmed

SAhmed

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 03:47 PM

Well the $12.99 price point in the recent FoxConnect sale got me to bite on this release - I had originally cancelled my Amazon preorder when the "yellow screencap" controversy started.

I wanted to judge for myself and the $12.99 allowed me to do that and I have to say that although the significantly improved details are wonderful to see, I for one, could not get past the "yellowing" of the picture even if this was truly the original intent. I will revert back to the previous (and/or the Italian Blu Ray) release despite it's lack of detail - I find the color composition more pleasing to me in particular the contrast in the color as opposed to the "all round golden hue" that I see. I am not a technical person in the field of cinematography (nor did I see it on it's initial release) or have any axe to grind with the new presentation (or people preferring it). If this is what the next round is going to look like with the new 4K re-masters of the first two Dollars films then I shall not be buying. I am happy to stay where I am with the possibly incorrect look as has mentioned by other folks earlier. Just my 2 cents. 

Regards,

• Osato likes this

#246 of 257 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted June 16 2014 - 04:25 PM

2:41:16

Here's my video-comparison between film and Caps-a-holics' screen capture:

Please ignore the colours in the video, the camera screws them up, but I think it should be reasonably clear that there's no difference.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, precisely what I was after. It provides definitive proof that the screencap is not "wrong", despite the best efforts of certain people to be aggressively dismissive of caps from professional review sites (and I'm not talking about Ron). Now whether peoples' eyes adjust to the color tint, whether it's "less noticeable in motion", etc. are all subjective claims and will differ from person to person, and from display to display, based on whether they're calibrated or not. As SAhmed has demonstrated further above, some people will not adjust to the tint, so taking someone else's word for whether you will like something is risky.

But anyway, the screencap is correct, and provides an objective reference point for judging image quality. Now I really will say no more about this.

#247 of 257 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:20 PM

I wanted to judge for myself and the $12.99 allowed me to do that and I have to say that although the significantly improved details are wonderful to see, I for one, could not get past the "yellowing" of the picture even if this was truly the original intent. I will revert back to the previous (and/or the Italian Blu Ray) release despite it's lack of detail - I find the color composition more pleasing to me in particular the contrast in the color as opposed to the "all round golden hue" that I see.

I will say that by fiddling with the settings on my projector, I've created a custom setup for this film (much like I did for getting rid of the green for the FotR: EE) where I've dialed down the yellow and upped the blue, and it looks... well, it isn't perfect, but I've managed to almost match the Italian BD.

I'm quickly running out of custom setup slots though.

#248 of 257 CobraVerde

CobraVerde

Auditioning

• 12 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 19 2014 - 06:41 PM

Tried watching this disc and turned it off after 20 minutes.  The yellow isn't so bad, but the teal is EVERYWHERE, and blacks are never black, but greenish-blue.  That's what bothered me the most.  Even the white title screens at the beginning are green now.  

I will continue to watch the older MGM disc until someone eventually fixes this for the next release (you know, when they include the 4K remaster of the first film).

#249 of 257 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,233 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 09:51 PM

Bruce, great feedback!

#250 of 257 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted June 21 2014 - 09:18 PM

Which bit? The bit where he claimed that the film looks nothing like the screen capture even though they're identical?

#251 of 257 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,047 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 21 2014 - 09:52 PM

Which bit? The bit where he claimed that the film looks nothing like the screen capture even though they're identical?

The Blu-ray looks nothing like the screen capture for me and many others - perhaps that's just our lowly computer monitors - but your constant efforts to provoke me are really becoming tiresome.  Moderators, can we get this guy to stop doing this?  Just look at his history and it becomes very plain to see.   Enough really is enough here.

And no, he was probably referring to my having actually watched a dye transfer print.  Just a guess though, but you probably knew that.

#252 of 257 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted June 21 2014 - 11:33 PM

Knock it off!

Next unkind remark from either side will result in posting privileges being revoked.

• dpippel likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#253 of 257 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted June 22 2014 - 10:30 AM

I will say that by fiddling with the settings on my projector, I've created a custom setup for this film (much like I did for getting rid of the green for the FotR: EE) where I've dialed down the yellow and upped the blue, and it looks... well, it isn't perfect, but I've managed to almost match the Italian BD.

And now I have a proper mono soundtrack synched up with the image too. Yay!

Now I just need someone to cut out all those extended scenes to recreate the theatrical edition.  :)

#254 of 257 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,165 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 29 2014 - 03:40 AM

Tried watching this disc and turned it off after 20 minutes.  The yellow isn't so bad, but the teal is EVERYWHERE, and blacks are never black, but greenish-blue.  That's what bothered me the most.  Even the white title screens at the beginning are green now.  

I will continue to watch the older MGM disc until someone eventually fixes this for the next release (you know, when they include the 4K remaster of the first film).

I didn't see any of that teal or greenish-blue when I viewed The Good, the Bad and the Ugly this morning in its entirety.  I enjoyed the BD very much so.

• Osato likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#255 of 257 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 03:43 AM

I didn't see any of that teal or greenish-blue when I viewed The Good, the Bad and the Ugly this morning in its entirety.  I enjoyed the BD very much so.

Okay, decision made.

I am going to treat myself to this film later this morning and

report back on what I find on my calibrated plasma.

• Osato likes this

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#256 of 257 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,940 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 08:25 AM

Nearly four hours later....

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is a film I only watch once

every decade. 

That's just enough for me to forget many parts of it, keeping it

just as fresh with every viewing.  

This showing was no different.  It was just as exciting for me to sit

through this film as it was when I first saw it on television, VHS, perhaps

laserdisc, and lastly on DVD.

I don't remember how the film is supposed to look.  I suppose those who

have watched this film more many more times than I are truly the authority

on how much the color scheme has changed.

Was there a yellow push?  Yes.  However, I should not two things.  First, 

I would have not have even recognized it if not for all the commotion that

has come up about this release.  Second, according to at least one review

I have read, it was Leone's intent to cast the film in yellow.

For me, I never found it a distraction.  In fact, there are many moments involving

the union armies where skies were brilliantly deep blue.  So, some sort of yellow

cast over every single scene doest seem plausible. 

...but I'm no expert on these matters.  I don't know what the print looked like

and how faithful prior releases were to the color scheme.  

The transfer is beautiful.  The best I have ever seen this film and I don't need to

even reflect upon my decade old memory to say that.

out of that period.  The transfer is 

• Osato and FoxyMulder like this

Ronald J Epstein

#257 of 257 JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 849 posts

Posted June 29 2014 - 11:18 PM

angeleyescleef.jpg

From the sound of things this "new" bluray release consists of two reissued unrestored (or non-restored) video transfers of A FIST FULL OF DOLLARS (1964) and FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1965) in addition to an improved upon (or technically tampered with) and expanded version of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966).

Not a very attractive proposition to be sure.  If this assessment is incorrect then tell me.

Is it unreasonable to request (or expect) the original unvarnished theatrical release versions of all three films fully restored and digitally remastered in high definition for a North American bluray release then (if warranted) including all the omitted scenes as bonus extras?  What are the chances that this will happen?

Specifically pertaining to THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966) an exacting disclaimer should be provided clearing stating that this presentation has been (substantially) altered from the original version.  As far as being "expanded" is concerned that crazy thing runs at least a good two and a half hours as it is.  Sheesh!

Anyway these are all very nice (so-called) Spaghetti Westerns and I would have really liked to have obtained them but not this way.  The late Lee Van Cleef in particular is exceptionally superb in his two appearances albeit I much prefer seeing the gentleman as one of the good guys rather than a villain.  There are other contemporary Spaghetti Western "imitators" (or homages) being made available on bluray by rival labels and apparently much more latitude has been attempted (or achieved) in providing a selection of "variations" (ie. the U.S. release, the Italian release, the director's cut etc.) of the selfsame film enough to satisfy the most demanding (or discerning) enthusiast.  This is more in keeping with what should have been done with THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (1966).

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

• Osato likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users