What's new

Disney's The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray) Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sounds like a dream set. I'm in provided these aren't mucked with. I can't remember if it was Fun & Fancy or Melody Time that was censored. It could of been both.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It was Melody Time and Make Mine Music. Melody Time had digitally erased cigarettes in the Pecos Bill segment, and Make Mine Music had the Martins and the Coys segment completely excised.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
What odd decisions Disney is making about packaging. A stand-alone Ichabod or for $5 more a double bill with Fun and Fancy Free. I don't get the logic behind it. Do they think F&FF wouldn't sell by itself and they could possibly sell more as a $5 upgrade?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Mark-P said:
What odd decisions Disney is making about packaging. A stand-alone Ichabod or for $5 more a double bill with Fun and Fancy Free. I don't get the logic behind it. Do they think F&FF wouldn't sell by itself and they could possibly sell more as a $5 upgrade?
I guess they think that Sleepy Hollow is more popular than Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy, because I mean seriously, no ones heard of this Mickey Mouse character right? :P

I'm not watching, but I guess whatever that new dumb Sleepy Hollow show is, i better than it looks if Ichabod is getting the push. Or the people in marketing are simply being people in marketing. :P

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I suppose the chances of them including the later TV Ludwig von Drake wrap-around for "Mickey and the Beanstalk" as an extra feature is pretty much nil, right? They should really make both the Luwig von Drake and the Eddie Bergen/Charlie McCarthy available, and ideally the later Sterling Holloway narration which I'm not sure is available anywhere.

When they released the movie on VHS (just the Mickey & the Beanstalk segment) they used the Ludwig von Drake version so quite a few people are familiar with that version.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder if they're saving The Three Caballeros, the one package film I'd most like to see, for next year so they can call it a 70th anniversary edition. Of course, there's no way Saludos Amigos is getting its own disc, and it would be easy to fit the two on one disc. And I will likely still have to keep the Exclusive Archive Collection set (how many people working at Disney's video division still remember these and how much stuff was created for it?). Still, I like Ichabod and Mr. Toad and I'm glad they're coming to disc.
JoHud said:
I suppose the chances of them including the later TV Ludwig von Drake wrap-around for "Mickey and the Beanstalk" as an extra feature is pretty much nil, right? They should really make both the Luwig von Drake and the Eddie Bergen/Charlie McCarthy available, and ideally the later Sterling Holloway narration which I'm not sure is available anywhere.

When they released the movie on VHS (just the Mickey & the Beanstalk segment) they used the Ludwig von Drake version so quite a few people are familiar with that version.
The Ludwig Von Drake version is on Netflix, and it looks like it got the same. The main parts with Mickey, Donald and Goofy, which have thicker ink marks because they predate Xerography, look okay.

And since Fun and Fancy Free is Jiminy Cricket's second film, somebody's nose got bigger when they re-released it on video in 1997. I remember the ads on VHS declaring saying it's coming for the first time in forever, so apparently they forgot about this:

$T2eC16Z,!ygFIjP8npbfBSPNyP6Y!w~~60_35.JPG

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I believe Disney is planning to release all remaining animated features this year with the exception of the Diamond Editions.

THREE CABALLEROS / SALUDOS AMIGOS
MAKE MINE MUSIC / MELODY TIME (probably still censored)

THE BLACK CAULDRON
HERCULES
TARZAN
Hopefully then, they can begins turning their attentions to the live-action classics.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark-P said:
As a matter of fact, yes--
Way back before Home on the Range and Chicken Little came out (and I liked Home on the Range!), fans universally put F&FF at the very bottom of their lists of "worst" Disney movies, just out of knee-jerk disgruntlement for being a 40's package movie with only two shorts. (And the first one not so great.)

Nowadays, it has Mickey appeal for the Beanstalk short, and that was a hard-won battle for the original Gold DVD release, but those old traumas for Disney die hard. (As noted by the fact that they're only releasing the Reluctant Dragon short for now, not the standalone Robert Benchley film.)
If we get F&FF as a Blu, and not a "bonus DVD", it'll be braver than I expect of them.

Russell G said:
I guess they think that Sleepy Hollow is more popular than Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy, because I mean seriously, no ones heard of this Mickey Mouse character right? :P
Also as a matter of fact, yes:
I'd wager it's probably the best known version of Sleepy Hollow, and even Tim Burton admitted homaging it in his movie.
Mr. Toad, however, is more remembered for a Disneyland ride than for his short, unless you count the characters showing up in Mickey's Christmas Carol.

JoHud said:

The Ludwig version was a short cut from the TV airing, and as a short, shows up on the "Classic Cartoon" anthologies.
If you want it so danged much, buy it there.

Frankly, I'll take Edgar & Charlie in the full movie, since they don't have to "rewrite" most of the visual gags that were written for Charlie's heckling.
(In the Ludwig version, he imagines a "red barn" popping up, instead of Charlie's joke of:
Bergen: "But soon, all was not happy and peaceful in the little valley, for one day--
McCarthy: "--They built a schoolhouse?")

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ejanss said:
If we get F&FF as a Blu, and not a "bonus DVD", it'll be braver than I expect of them.
Other forums are speculating that the inclusion of Fun and Fancy Free may only be a repressing of the DVD. I can't imagine that Disney would stoop so low as to do that.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ejanss said:
The Ludwig version was a short cut from the TV airing, and as a short, shows up on the "Classic Cartoon" anthologies.

If you want it so danged much, buy it there.

Frankly, I'll take Edgar & Charlie in the full movie, since they don't have to "rewrite" most of the visual gags that were written for Charlie's heckling.
(In the Ludwig version, he imagines a "red barn" popping up, instead of Charlie's joke of:Bergen: "But soon, all was not happy and peaceful in the little valley, for one day--McCarthy: "--They built a schoolhouse?")
Don't get my wrong, I like the original version just fine. I just think it would be nice it they added the other version as a bonus feature.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't believe it will be anything other than two films on one Blu-ray disc, both in high definition. They are both short enough to fit easily on a dual layer Blu-ray, and Disney hasn't done any of its other double feature packages any other way.As for bonuses, well, that's another story. I'm not expecting much.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This last bunch of animated releases is coming out exactly as I had predicted at the beginning of the year, paired as I thought they would be. The pairs are all logical, after all: FUN AND FANCY FREE and ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD each have two roughly half-hour segments; MELODY TIME and MAKE MINE MUSIC are omnibus collections of a half-dozen or so short subjects; and THREE CABALLEROS and SALUDOS AMIGOS are the two South American war-time projects that contain live-action footage and animated material. I also felt sure the remaining none-Diamond single titles would be coming, and so they apparently are: HERCULES, TARZAN, and THE BLACK CAULDRON. although I was wrong when I predicted all three would be released on a single day, as their pattern has been for a couple of years. Let's hope they don't muck these up a la SWORD IN THE STONE. I wasn't necessarily expecting BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS, but that's good news. The re-issue of SLEEPING BEAUTY seems redundant to me, but there it is. Once this year is past, Disney has but two Diamond editions left to release in 2015 (ALADDIN, if it is even considered a Diamond title now, and 101 DALMATIANS). Then, with any tiny stroke of luck, they will finally begin rolling out their live-action classics. In fact, as this is the 60th anniversary year for 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, I am still hoping we will get this by Christmas.

Perhaps they will license out more of their titles to niche labels. Sure would love to see THIRD MAN ON THE MOUNTAIN, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES, JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN, NEVER CRY WOLF, RETURN TO OZ, etc.

Back to the OP, I am looking forward with much (cautious) anticipation to seeing the frightening Headless Horseman in pursuit of the arrogant Ichabod
in glorious high def.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm looking most forward to Melody Time and Make Mine Music, since they're kinda sorta cousins with Fantasia (my all-time favorite Disney film), but I imagine I'll get them all. I haven't even watched my Three Caballeros/Saludos Amigos combo DVD (which I bought on release date), and now I'll be upgrading before I get around to it. Yeah, I know, first world problem.... :D

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Wasn't Saludos Amigos censored too? Something to do with Goofy smoking a cigarette?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Ethan Riley said:
Wasn't Saludos Amigos censored too? Something to do with Goofy smoking a cigarette?
It was. the uncensored version came out as an extra on the "Walt & El Grupo" documentary DVD, or whatever it was called.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Russell G said:
It was. the uncensored version came out as an extra on the "Walt & El Grupo" documentary DVD, or whatever it was called.
According to someone who posted info on amazon's product listing they noted the version of Saludos Amigos as the bonus feature is NOT uncensored and is the same version where the cigarette smoking has been altered. Unless someone else can confirm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks