What's new

Dead Calm on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I know we talk a lot here about titles that are not out on blu-ray, titles that are coming soon, and new releases but I think there should be some talk about titles that are available because I'd love to hear what other people think of them,

I'm a big fan of thrillers and I love films that take place on the water. Dead Calm is a great thriller and is set, of course, on a couple of boats that are drifting off the coast of Australia. I watched this film again last night and wow, it is a gripping piece of cinema. It is beautifully photographed by Dean Semler and wonderfully acted by Sam Neill, Nicole Kidman, and Billy Zane, while director Phillip Noyce keeps the tension ratcheted up to maximum levels.

It is also a fun bit of trivia that Orson Welles once took a crack at this basic story but before he could complete his version (He was calling it The Deep or Dead Reckoning) one of his stars, Laurence Harvey, passed away.

This one makes for a fantastic night in your home cinema and I highly recommend it.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
I love this film, but I've avoided buying the disc because I read that it doesn't look very good. Not so?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The disc gave me a very nice presentation and I don't think there is anything that will detract from your viewing. I have not looked up reviews for the blu-ray yet so I have not seen complaints on the disc but this is a low budget film and is shot in a variety of lighting conditions which some people probably interpret as "flaws" because the image can look different depending upon the lighting. This would be a result of the source material through and not a problem with the disc. I think it looked excellent for a film from 1989 shot on a small budget and in a variety of natural light and interior lighting...as well as underwater...conditions. I say it is a good disc well worth picking up and available at short money right now.

EDIT:

Ok, I took a look at the DVDBeaver review of the disc and he was very positive on it and thought it looked great. So, he and I concur on that so there are two positive opinions on it. I don't know what complaints might be out there on the disc but I'd bet money they have to do with the way the image shifts a bit based on lighting conditions and have nothing to do with the technical presentation the disc gives.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Great thriller, but who is that young, freckle-faced, red-headed actress who stars and yet has same name as a botoxed, white porcelain-skinned mannequin movie star of today?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I felt the DVD was lacking a little bit. But it sure didn't stop me from lovin every minute of it. Seems like I watched Open Water 2 Adrift around the same time and liked it all the more by still having Dead Calm sailing around in my brains. DC is the better... but I also love films on or near the water (and if there's a lighthouse I'm in my own little sailboat on the couch watching... :)) )

A blu ray would go on my wishlist immediately. But not day one purchase.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Reggie W said:
The disc gave me a very nice presentation and I don't think there is anything that will detract from your viewing. I have not looked up reviews for the blu-ray yet so I have not seen complaints on the disc but this is a low budget film and is shot in a variety of lighting conditions which some people probably interpret as "flaws" because the image can look different depending upon the lighting. This would be a result of the source material through and not a problem with the disc. I think it looked excellent for a film from 1989 shot on a small budget and in a variety of natural light and interior lighting...as well as underwater...conditions. I say it is a good disc well worth picking up and available at short money right now.

EDIT:

Ok, I took a look at the DVDBeaver review of the disc and he was very positive on it and thought it looked great. So, he and I concur on that so there are two positive opinions on it. I don't know what complaints might be out there on the disc but I'd bet money they have to do with the way the image shifts a bit based on lighting conditions and have nothing to do with the technical presentation the disc gives.
Thank you for all this great info. I was a projectionist in 1989, and watched this movie every night... twice! :lol:

So, my only hope was that it would look as good on blu now as it did then. But as you say, I do recall some slightly jarring lighting and/or focus issues in the film, so that might have to do with what I read (though I can't remember where I read it). So thanks to you, I'm gonna go pick this up first thing.

"A-wim-a-way!" :D

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I saw this at the cinema and liked the gentleness of the water all around the of sooth waves lapping over one and another.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I also avoided this blu-ray for the longest time due to bad reviews. Saw it cheap one day, bought it and was surprised that it looked so good. Great movie.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It's a great little movie. That unknown actress you mention also had a small role in another of my favourite movies of this era, 'Flirting', the sequel to 'The Year My Voice Broke'. Both great movies too! Lead actor Noah Taylor's dad is my best friend which gives it a special connection.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I haven't seen it since I caught it on VHS in the early 1990s, but I remember enjoying it. There were alot of big and medium-budgetted films released in 1989 (and a few with similar titles) and this one seemed to have gotten lost in the shuffle. It great to see Billy Zane (back when he had hair), Nicole Kidman (back when she had a personality) and director Philip Noyce (back when he had some directorial talent).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mikey1969 said:
It great to see Billy Zane (back when he had hair),
I feel his pain. :D

I look in the mirror and often say to myself it's hair today and gone tomorrow.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I feel his pain. :D

I look in the mirror and often say to myself it's hair today and gone tomorrow.
He certainly looks cool bald in Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight ... The collector, then with hair again in HAIRTANIC. :lol:

10624795_10152743127145149_3306704443902024754_n.jpg

Dead Calm with hair

10689785_10152743125860149_4636382466511686370_n.jpg

Demon Knight without hair.

1781914_10152743128200149_3822229917648752195_n.jpg

Titanic with hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks