Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Disney's Hercules (1997) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,988 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 11:32 AM

44744_large.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,740 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 09 2014 - 11:41 AM

Finally time to replace my DVD that was released in 1999

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Screenwriter

• 1,010 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted May 09 2014 - 12:14 PM

Will there be new bonus features?

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,960 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 09 2014 - 12:42 PM

Will there be new bonus features?

Good question.

I've had the UK BD of Hercules for quite awhile now.  The features are weak (and poor).  One that comes to mind is a rendition of Go The Distance by Ricky Martin that looks like a VHS tape recorded in SLP mode.

I just checked.  The only other feature is a "making of" featurette.

The feature film itself looks great.  But I'd consider a double-dip if they piled on features that aren't present in the UK version.

I've also got the UK versions of 101 Dalmatians, Tarzan and Aladdin.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,334 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 12:46 PM

Huh Disney actually remembered this movie existed for once...

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,960 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 09 2014 - 01:01 PM

It's kinda weird they left the main villain--Hades--off the front cover but included Pain & Panic. 

James Woods as Hades was an inspired casting choice. 

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,662 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 09 2014 - 01:09 PM

Good question. I've had the UK BD of Hercules for quite awhile now.  The features are weak (and poor).  One that comes to mind is a rendition of Go The Distance by Ricky Martin that looks like a VHS tape recorded in SLP mode. I just checked.  The only other feature is a "making of" featurette. The feature film itself looks great.  But I'd consider a double-dip if they piled on features that aren't present in the UK version. I've also got the UK versions of 101 Dalmatians, Tarzan and Aladdin.

I also got the UK Blus of Hercules and Aladdin but didn't get Tarzan because of the lossy sound or 101 Dalmatians because it's not widescreen. I hope the US remedies those issues.

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,740 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 09 2014 - 01:19 PM

I also got the UK Blus of Hercules and Aladdin but didn't get Tarzan because of the lossy sound or 101 Dalmatians because it's not widescreen. I hope the US remedies those issues.

Doesn't all the Disney documentation from the era say 1.33 for 101 Dalmatians? I remember because it oddly stands out from everything else from the era.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,632 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 09 2014 - 03:15 PM

I've had the UK BD of Hercules for quite awhile now. .

Is it still enjoyable with the sub-titles? Or do you watched the dubbed version? I've never bought foreign imports, so I'm not sure what that would be...

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 32,960 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 09 2014 - 03:35 PM

...ya wise guy, ya!

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,740 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 05:55 PM

I really liked this one.  The animation style took some risks and the Greek chorus is the best since Little Shop of Horrors.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 06:18 PM

POPULAR

Hercules has special memories for me, it was was the first Disney film I worked on. So I definitely will be buying the blu-ray!

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,764 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 09 2014 - 06:27 PM

I've said it in numerous threads (and will again if I get to review it), for me Hercules is the most underrated of all the Disney animated films of the late 20th century/early 21st century.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,334 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 07:27 AM

I've said it in numerous threads (and will again if I get to review it), for me Hercules is the most underrated of all the Disney animated films of the late 20th century/early 21st century.

Its hard to be more ignored than The Black Cauldron.

...then again at least that got an anamorphic transfer back in the DVD days.

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,662 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 27 2014 - 07:02 PM

If you belong to the Disney Movie Club, Hercules and Tarzan will be shipping out on 6/10/2014, two months ahead of the retail release.

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 27 2014 - 08:27 PM

Boom. Disney Movie Club best investment I've made in a while.
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,261 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted May 28 2014 - 08:21 AM

I agree, since here (Canada), you can get both movies for $36.99, plus free shipping.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 2,452 posts

Posted May 28 2014 - 10:22 AM

I remember when this movie was the "flop" in theaters that ended the 90's Renaissance with a train crash.  

But like Treasure Planet, it's gotten a little bit of redemption on video since then, for the fact that John Musker & Ron Clements cannot make a bad film.

(And I'm only saying that out of courtesy to the Princess & the Frog fans.   ;) )

Case in point:

When Disney Parks had its 24-hour party on both coasts last week, with theme being that villain characters would take over the hero/princess spots after dark, next to the Frozen girls during the day, who had the longest two to three-hour lines of any character meet during the all-night hours?

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,261 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 15 2014 - 01:34 PM

My 2-pack has shipped from DMC. I'm really psyched.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,622 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 06:24 AM

I really liked this one.  The animation style took some risks and the Greek chorus is the best since Little Shop of Horrors.

Although the one in MIGHTY APHRODITE is pretty funny, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users