What's new

Marvel’s Agent Carter (ABC) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
ABC orders "Marvel’s Agent Carter" to seriesHayley Atwell is returning in the title role. Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters ("Reaper") are the showrunners. Steve McFeely & Christopher Marcus, who wrote the screenplays for both Captain America movies, wrote the pilot and will serve as executive producers along with Jeph Loeb.EDIT: ABC just released an official description:
“Marvel’s Agent Carter,” starring “Captain America’s” Hayley Atwell follows the story of Peggy Carter. It’s 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life – Steve Rogers. Inspired by the feature films “Captain America: The First Avenger” and “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” along with the short “Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter.” “Marvel’s Agent Carter” stars Hayley Atwell as Agent Peggy Carter. Executive producers are Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters, Steve McFeely & Christopher Marcus, and Jeph Loeb.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Cool. I loved the Agent Carter One Shot. I hope the show can maintain a similar tone and style. Marcus and McFeely being involved is a good sign.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great news. Do we know how many episodes have been ordered? The rumor going around a while back was that ABC would order 13 episodes of Carter to be shown in between the beginning and later halves of the Shield season. But this sounds like they might run concurrently.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
No official word yet, but some sites are speculating that "Agent Carter" will be a 10-13 episode series that bridges the "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." winter hiatus.That being said, they were going to do the same thing with Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, and ended up running it concurrently with the Once Upon a Time mothership. That being said, I think Once Upon a Time in Wonderland got cancelled, so maybe that made ABC reconsider.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I am certainly looking forward to the chance of seeing more Haley Atwell as Peggy Carter. I agree with Sean that the one shot was really cool and I like that the Cap writers are on board. I also enjoyed Reaper for what it was. 10-13 episodes would be good as that seemed to be what Marcus and McFeely were aiming for in an earlier interview I saw. I don't like when shows are stretched out beyond their natural length.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I'd love to see those snazzy end credits from the one shot as the regular credits.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm looking forward to this.

I'm also curious how ABC will decide to air it, and how many Marvel Studios will make, etc.

On one hand... a "Marvel night" on ABC could be pretty cool. On the other hand, we've seen what a Marvel show (Agents of Shield) looks like when it's not a great episode, so if you put the two shows together having an off-week creatively, that's potentially a looong night (and not in a good way).

So on the other hand... programming this between Shield's hiatus would be a great way to keep a Marvel show on the air at all times, and keeping it new at all times. The only thing that turned me off more with Agents Of Shield than its less-than-impressive opening run of episodes was how long they'd make you wait for each one, with a week on here, two weeks off, etc., etc.

I'd like to see Marvel doing more to bring their TV universe closer to the movie universe. Having "Shield" lead into Winter Soldier and then build on it in the week following its release was great. In my ideal world, Marvel would find a way to do this so that the closer we get to each movie coming out, the more the show ramps up towards that film in some way or another. Having multiple TV properties would help with that, so if it didn't make sense to connect Shield with the latest film, another series could instead make that connection.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
On one hand... a "Marvel night" on ABC could be pretty cool. On the other hand, we've seen what a Marvel show (Agents of Shield) looks like when it's not a great episode, so if you put the two shows together having an off-week creatively, that's potentially a looong night (and not in a good way).
There's also the matter of the series' structure. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. certainly has serialized elements but the core concept is pretty static: Agent Coulson and his team investigate out-of-the-ordinary threats to humanity.Agent Carter, on the other hand, has an inherent arc. We know Peggy Carter's arc starts with her as an underutilized administrative aide for the U.S. Strategic Scientific Reserve and ends with her as the global head of S.H.I.E.L.D. At the end of each season, she should be at a different place in her career than she was at the beginning. If they try to match "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." episode for episode, I could see there being a lot of filler.
I'd like to see Marvel doing more to bring their TV universe closer to the movie universe.
One of the thing that excites me the most about "Agent Carter" is that it pretty much has its time period in the Marvel universe to itself. There won't be that lingering sense I sometimes get with "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." that the most interesting events are constantly happening just outside of frame. It's restrained by having to color inside the lines left by the movies."Agent Carter" should have much freer rein to do what it wants, as long as it doesn't contradict the little bits of back story that we've gotten from the movies. And it can really flesh out corners of the Marvel universe that none of the other properties would really have a chance to touch.Has anybody heard whether Dominic Cooper is going to be involved with this? I could see them having trouble affording both Atwell and Cooper on a weekly basis. Maybe they'll work out an arrangement like John Forsythe had with "Charlie's Angels," where they pay Cooper a flat fee and then he goes into a recording booth for a couple hours and records his side of the phone calls where he gives Peggy Carter her missions for all of the episodes at once.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Adam Lenhardt said:
One of the thing that excites me the most about "Agent Carter" is that it pretty much has its time period in the Marvel universe to itself.
I do like that they're keeping the period setting, and I love how they used it in both the first Captain America movie and the Agent Carter one-shot.

As much as I liked "The Winter Soldier", I wish Marvel would have found a way to keep Cap in the past for another solo movie. I get that they needed him to be frozen so that he could be unthawed for the Avengers, but I feel they could have found a way around that. Have them finding him at the beginning of Avengers, for example, and saving the explanation for a future Cap movie. I liked everything about how Marvel used WW2 and the period setting in the first Captain America movie and wish they hadn't shut the door so firmly on making another period Captain America movie. At least this show can still keep us in that time period :)

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
http://marvel.com/news/tv/2014/5/10/22496/first_details_on_marvels_agent_carter

"Marvel's Agent Carter," starring Captain America's Hayley Atwell follows the story of Peggy Carter. It's 1946, and peace has dealt Peggy Carter a serious blow as she finds herself marginalized when the men return home from fighting abroad. Working for the covert SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve), Peggy must balance doing administrative work and going on secret missions for Howard Stark all while trying to navigate life as a single woman in America, in the wake of losing the love of her life--Steve Rogers. Inspired by the feature films "Captain America: The First Avenger" and "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," along with the short "Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter."

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think an 8 episode run is fine. It lets them do a tighter story arc that can "get right to it", and possibly allows a higher production budget per episode. The first season of The Walking Dead was only 6 episodes. If it does well the second season (like with TWD) will likely increase in length.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Frankly, if you want to tell one story, then 8 episodes is probably too many. If you take 13, then you are going to lose my interest or I'm going to record it and do a marathon at the end of the season. (which, of course, does not help ratings)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope they'll run this as eight episodes without a week off, and use that as an opportunity to run original SHIELD episodes in two chunks without frequent breaks either. (Agents Of Shield is a better show when it feels connected to the universe of the films. Agent Carter, being a period piece, won't come with the expectation of relating to the films set in present day.)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This is shaping up to possibly be something really special. TVLine reports that Captain America: The Winter Soldier directors Joe and Anthony Russo will direct the second and third episodes of "Agent Carter". Captain America: The First Avenger director Joe Johnson is tentatively scheduled to direct the fourth episode, if they can make the scheduling work.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Just had this weird/random SHIELD/Agent Carter thought... during the first season of Agents Of SHIELD, two Marvel movies came out during the season. The events in one movie (Thor: The Dark World) didn't end up tying to the show in any meaningful way, though they certainly promoted it as being connected, while the events of the second movie (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) very clearly connected with the show.

For this season, there isn't a Marvel movie coming out during the run of the series. (Depending on how they time the SHIELD season finale, I suppose it's possible that the events in the show could lead up to the movie, or the movie could have an affect on the season finale.) Not looking for any deeper meaning in that or anything, just found it interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks