Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Bedknobs and Broomsticks blu-ray on August 12

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#21 of 171 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 04:37 AM

Honestly, with Disney's recent track record, I'll be surprised if we get any supplements at all. Much like other studios, they've seriously cut back on them. It's a shame as this film has a bit of history around it and Angela Lansbury is, thankfully, still with us.

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#22 of 171 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 09 2014 - 05:53 AM

Honestly, with Disney's recent track record, I'll be surprised if we get any supplements at all. Much like other studios, they've seriously cut back on them. It's a shame as this film has a bit of history around it and Angela Lansbury is, thankfully, still with us.

Last month, she introduced the film in London.

We also have one Sherman Brother left who I'm sure would be happy to contribute.

But if this film's most immediate predecessor and successor couldn't retain all their extras, what chance does this film have?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#23 of 171 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 09 2014 - 11:21 AM

Is there any way that I can get invloved in this release and make sure Disney dosen't screw this up. As Brian said that we still have Angela, so it would behoove them to use Angela, as she is getting up there in age, she might not be around for the 45th and 50th Anniversaries. I really want to see this movie get the royal treatment it truly deserves.

Disney STOP BEING CHEAP AND SPLURGE ON YOUR TITLES DAMIN'T, STOP SPENDING IT ONLY ON THE DIAMOND EDITIONS

#24 of 171 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 09 2014 - 09:52 PM

Is there any way that I can get invloved in this release and make sure Disney dosen't screw this up. As Brian said that we still have Angela, so it would behoove them to use Angela, as she is getting up there in age, she might not be around for the 45th and 50th Anniversaries. I really want to see this movie get the royal treatment it truly deserves.

Disney STOP BEING CHEAP AND SPLURGE ON YOUR TITLES DAMIN'T, STOP SPENDING IT ONLY ON THE DIAMOND EDITIONS

I agree with you. I don't know how many more chances they're going to get to release this movie on disc; that depends on how long the demand for Blu-ray continues. Unfortunately it's too late to go back and change anything for this release because that would push the release date back. But look at it in perspective. This movie did get better treatment than some of the studio's films, though. Keep in mind its first DVD was a Gold Collection release, and it was one of the few in that line to get an anamorphic widescreen transfer or extras that were halfway decent for a one-disc release of a 139-minute movie.

While we're on the subject of money and Disney's willingness to part with it, did this movie really cost $20 million to make? That's the figure listed in Holliss and Sibley's The Disney Studio Story [which described it as "the studio's most costly film to date"] and "backed up" by the IMDb, but I've seen it corroborated nowhere else, but it would have put it in league with many of the era's other film musicals. Another later Disney book whose name escapes me [I know it was not Disney From A to Z, but it did have a bunch of essays on random subjects in alphabetical order] said Pete's Dragon cost $10 million and at least one reviewer I trust [most of the time ;) ] said it was the most expensive film the studio made at that time [a record it only held until The Black Hole came out]. 

Don't know why they won't offer both versions to the consumers: The standard 2-hour version (with original mono), or the 25th anniversary edition. Not everyone likes hearing the badly redubbed dialogue for much of the extra footage, much of which isn't even from the original actors.

Right now, we don't even know what version[s] we're getting! My greatest concern is, and always has been, after what happened to Muppet Christmas CarolPocahontasDead Poets' Society, and Ransom, that if it comes down to one version of the other, the long version will come up short. Or, it could end up like Pete's Dragon, which got the 128-minute version [an exact halfway point between its two predecessors] in the US, but the 105-minute version is on the UK Blu-ray because that's the version that has all the foreign dubs. When they restored Bedknobs, they didn't dub it into any language other than French [I came across "Nobody's Problems For Me" in French on YouTube but it seems to be gone], so a lot of countries have never even seen the restored cut in their native language; some countries got the ultra-short versions of this and the other post-Walt musicals when they came to video! This link is in Italian, but it's the most concise summary of the differences of all three official versions; I have even seen made-for-TV versions that make even worse cuts; one time I saw it, and they cut the ending down to the children's last lines; all the stuff about Mr. Browne enlisting in the military was gone.

I don't like the redubs, either. If they had been handled at least as smoothly as the redubbed dialogue in The Happiest Millionaire's roadshow cut [which had very few redubs], it wouldn't be a problem. But more than that, I dislike the painfully obvious underscore cuts where "With a Flair" should be [as well as other noticeable cuts in the underscore], the absence of the children's backstory [IMO that was one of Cindy O'Callaghan's best scenes, and she's the only one of the children with any post-Bedknobs credits], the fact that Roddy McDowall and Tessie O'Shea's roles were worn down to a nub, and the bizarre spatial logic that allows the children and Mrs. Hobday being able to hear home guardsmen singing so far away. Your mileage may vary, but I will not buy a disc that does not include the longest cut. That's the dealbreaker.

You have to remember that this was done during the post-Wells and Katzenberg era. Considering that some of the worst things Eisner and his allies did during his time happened during the 1995-2005 Third Dark Age [putting a Mickey glove and that hideous wand over Spaceship Earth was the perfect example of "gilding the lily" and summed up the company's mindset during this period perfectly], the restoration department probably had to make budget concessions to get it done at all.

Then there's the question of what to do about "A Step in the Right Direction." One of the things I always thought while watching the theatrical cut was "you know what would make this film even better, a song between The Old Home Guard and The Age of Not Believing." Even though we still don't have it, I doubt it there was an order to destroy it, otherwise they would have destroyed all the other scenes, too. I doubt it ended up in Roddy McDowall's film collection though [you know, the one the FBI seized]. What we have now of the photo reconstruction was done on 480i tape, and it would be nice to see it recreated in HD if the film footage never turns up. If Disney wants to go the seamless branching route [the one that would make everyone happy], they should consider an option to choose whether or not you want to see the song in its originally intended place in the film. Seamless branching would be difficult for this film because in addition to adding scenes, existing ones were rearranged and underscore was added to [or, in the case of the soccer game, subtracted from] existing ones as well. It's doable, though.

• Jeffrey Nelson and Escapay like this

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#25 of 171 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 614 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 10:45 PM

Matthew, exactly which dialogue in The Happiest Millionaire was redubbed? Which of the original actors spoke the original lines, long before they were redubbed?

There is nothing on the Internet about this information at all.

#26 of 171 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 09 2014 - 11:22 PM

Matthew, exactly which dialogue in The Happiest Millionaire was redubbed? Which of the original actors spoke the original lines, long before they were redubbed?

There is nothing on the Internet about this information at all.

In the lead-up to "It Won't Be Long 'Til Christmas," Mr. and Mrs. Biddle walk throughout their empty house and lament the fact that all the children are gone. IIRC, John Lawless walks in and says something, then walks off. The whole dialogue leading up to the song is dubbed. They restored the uncut version minus that song around 1984, then found this song in the 1990s around the same time of the Bedknobs reconstruction. I've heard there were supposed to be extras for that [The One and Only Genuine Original Family Band got a commentary and a 12-minute featurette], but because of the length of the film and studio's apparent belief that the film wasn't popular enough for a 2-disc set [a better transfer might have helped matters], they jettisoned them. It was after Fred MacMurray's death that they found the song, so his voice is obviously redubbed. Greer Garson died in 1996, so it's likely her voice is a redub. Tommy Steele is still alive, so I assume the voice is his [he had some other redubbed line in Act II, but I can't remember which one].

• Escapay likes this

#27 of 171 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,885 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 09 2014 - 11:52 PM

I had no idea that part was dubbed.  

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#28 of 171 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 614 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 06:55 AM

What I would like to know is, does Disney mention it anywhere on any Home Video print of the film, or did they keep it a secret.

#29 of 171 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 10 2014 - 07:27 AM

What I would like to know is, does Disney mention it anywhere on any Home Video print of the film, or did they keep it a secret.

Are you inferring if Dinsey has said that the film has been redubbed?  The 30th Anniversary and Enchanted Musical Edition don't state anything about dubbing, the 30th Anniversary is the only edition so far that says Complete Original Film With Fully Restored Audio And Video.

#30 of 171 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 614 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 07:40 AM

Are you inferring if Dinsey has said that the film has been redubbed?  The 30th Anniversary and Enchanted Musical Edition don't state anything about dubbing, the 30th Anniversary is the only edition so far that says Complete Original Film With Fully Restored Audio And Video.

No, I am referring to The Happiest Millionaire.

#31 of 171 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 10 2014 - 08:24 AM

No, I am referring to The Happiest Millionaire.

No mention of that on that film as well.

happiest-millionaire_-the-dvd-cover_1.jp

#32 of 171 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted May 10 2014 - 11:08 AM

I always really loved Bedknobs & Broomsticks. I sincerely hope that any Blu-ray release would include both the originally released cut and the restored version. I'm really not sure why that wouldn't be possible, as there seems to be an HD version of the 117-minute version available for rent on Amazon Instant.

"The Age of Believing" doc would be a GREAT addition, too.
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#33 of 171 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 10 2014 - 12:07 PM

I always really loved Bedknobs & Broomsticks. I sincerely hope that any Blu-ray release would include both the originally released cut and the restored version. I'm really not sure why that wouldn't be possible, as there seems to be an HD version of the 117-minute version available for rent on Amazon Instant.

"The Age of Believing" doc would be a GREAT addition, too.

Disney dosen't seem to be the type to release two cuts of the same film, only Criterion would do that.  

#34 of 171 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 10 2014 - 01:35 PM

They used to be when Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King came out. What changed?

#35 of 171 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,885 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 10 2014 - 01:42 PM

There was actually THREE cuts of "Beauty and the Beast" included on that Blu-ray - the original theatrical version, the 'Special Edition' (with "Human Again") and the 'work-in-progress' print.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#36 of 171 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,885 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 10 2014 - 01:45 PM

No mention of that on that film as well.

happiest-millionaire_-the-dvd-cover_1.jp

BTW I think this DVD edition is one of the 'cheapies' from Ebay.  Disney hasn't released "Happiest Millionaire" on DVD in Australia - and I ain't buying that its a 16:9 enhanced print.

#37 of 171 OFFLINE   darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 824 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted May 10 2014 - 02:06 PM

BTW I think this DVD edition is one of the 'cheapies' from Ebay.  Disney hasn't released "Happiest Millionaire" on DVD in Australia - and I ain't buying that its a 16:9 enhanced print.

That's all I found of the back cover on Google images, from what I've seen it dosen't say anything that you're looking for. I'm guessing Disney dosen't care if some parts are dubbed in a film or feel like that they need to put that on the cover as well.

#38 of 171 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted May 10 2014 - 02:47 PM

There is an Amazon pre-order link now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZXKFM

I know it says DVD but I'm pretty sure it will be corrected to say Blu-ray.

#39 of 171 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 10 2014 - 03:15 PM

The 25th anniversary laserdisc warned us about the two faded clips of the Portobello Road dance, saying "two clips on this disc exhibit poor picture quality."

#40 of 171 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,885 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 10 2014 - 03:32 PM

POPULAR

557687_10151974119192779_1578894478_n.jpg

1522184_10151974241287779_114651298_n.jpg

1466238_10151974241027779_598952798_n.jpg

• MatthewA, Jeffrey Nelson and bryan4999 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users