What's new

Rear Window, Vertigo, & The Birds Arrive the Same Day! (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm scheduled to receive these three movies from Amazon today. I know there's controversy about the transfers, but I'm excited. I can't remember getting three all-time-favorite movies in one day. I'll be watching at least one tonight. I'm leaning towards Rear Window. Grace Kelly and Jimmy, how can you go wrong? But Vertigo has Kim Novak and Jimmy.

Than there's The Birds. Not quite on the level with the other two, it's a movie that I've grown to like more with each passing year. I remember seeing it in the theater (which is unusual for me to have such a strong memory of something that long ago) and as the closing credits are running I was thinking "What! What! That's it! You've got to be kidding me!" But that was then and now I think differently about it.

I remember strongly disliking Tiippi Hedren's performance. I thought she came off as an amateur and that her performances was odd. Now I've grown to appreciate her performance. Go figure.

I guess I won't know which one I'm watching until I pop it in the player.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Rear Window and The Birds are fine.

Vertigo is largely good but certain sections are mis-timed badly.

Several films in the big set such as The Man Who Knew Too Much, Marnie, and Family Plot are a real mess.

These are my opinions but I think there is pretty much a consensus.

Enjoy!

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
John Maher_289910 said:
Don't understand any controversy with THE BIRDS. The transfer is excellent, in my opinion.
My comment about the controversy was based on how many problems were found with the big set of Hitchcock. I couldn't remember the specific titles that were problematic. I'm happy to hear that 2 of the three are fine and one has only occasional issues.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
The box set is the one I have, so I have no opinion on this latest release. Although, I would have to assume it's the same transfer. I love it. It's the film I was most impressed by. Of course, I already had PSYCHO and NORTH BY NORTHWEST, prior to the box, so I don't count those.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
John Maher_289910 said:
The box set is the one I have, so I have no opinion on this latest release. Although, I would have to assume it's the same transfer. I love it. It's the film I was most impressed by. Of course, I already had PSYCHO and NORTH BY NORTHWEST, prior to the box, so I don't count those.
You're still referring to The Birds? I would agree that these singles are probably the same transfers as the box.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Yes, THE BIRDS. The only film in the box that I think is a disgrace (should not have been released, it is of such horrible quality), is MARNIE.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
John Maher_289910 said:
Yes, THE BIRDS. The only film in the box that I think is a disgrace (should not have been released, it is of such horrible quality), is MARNIE.
Agree with that, although I wouldn't call it horrible..disappointing, yes.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I live in Germany and have gotten a "Hitchcock" box from England. My only comment is most of the things that many people complained (but not all) of such films as "The Man That Knew Too Much" and the Family Plot. The subtitles of Marnie was bad. I liked the Man and Family Plot. I found no films that were "unwatchable".I got my box from Amazon England.I was generally happy with my Hitchcock box. It seemed most complaints were from people that bought the box from the US.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I like THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. I have no issue with it. What were people complaining about with that one?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
John Maher_289910 said:
Oh yes... its pretty bad. I bought it anyway, but that transfer shouldn't have been released. Its beyond an insult to Hitchcock.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH is better than I ever saw it, even if it is wrong. MARNIE, on the other hand, I find unwatchable. Otherwise, I'm happy with the box set. Especially, SABOTEUR, SHADOW OF A DOUBT, REAR WINDOW, THE BIRDS and TORN CURTAIN.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Someone more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue with THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH isn't the master, but the source. The movie needs a restoration and didn't receive one. Based on the unrestored existing materials I think TMWKTM looks as good as I've ever seen it. Based on what's been accomplished with some of the other films in the set, it's a shame that more work wasn't done on the Day/Stewart film.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
There may be other factor. My TV is a German company "Loewe" which according to the germans is (one of) the best brands sold in Germany. It may be that I am in "PAL land". How do other people in England and in Germany get this film? The TV quality may be a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks