Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

WEST SIDE STORY - OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE

MGM Fox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#61 of 191 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,185 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted May 06 2014 - 09:09 AM

<Just Ducked> Whoa! People are starting to throw things! I'm outta here.  ;) 

#62 of 191 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,188 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 06 2014 - 09:36 AM

POPULAR

This thread has became a humorous one right after the ludicrous first post. Nobody has actually dealt with race at all. Just because you suppose its on its way to forbidden subjects isn't enough to warrant it being moderated.

I only brought it up because I've seen how quickly these things get out of control and I thought that maybe saying something would stop a problem before it really got started. I guess I did get what I wanted though since the topic has shifted away from that area and into telling me that I'm wrong for making that suggestion.

#63 of 191 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,721 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 06 2014 - 11:15 AM

Travis, how DARE you express an opinion!  On an internet discussion board yet!  LOL.

#64 of 191 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted May 06 2014 - 12:49 PM

Travis, how DARE you express an opinion!  On an internet discussion board yet!  LOL.

Oh, he is the only one expressing an opinion. :rolleyes:

#65 of 191 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,884 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted May 06 2014 - 03:59 PM

I'm not sure why...but the raison d'etre for this thread seems to have ceased.  And, in its absence, participants are starting to get personal.  Usually a sign of boredom.

I could easily close the thread...but members seemed to be enjoying the ride.  If we can straighten things out...and stay away from personal comments, I'll let things ride for a little while longer. 

Maybe the OP will return to let us know what he hears from Fox.  :biggrin:

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#66 of 191 OFFLINE   cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 01:26 AM

I'm not sure why...but the raison d'etre for this thread seems to have ceased.  And, in its absence, participants are starting to get personal.  Usually a sign of boredom.

I could easily close the thread...but members seemed to be enjoying the ride.  If we can straighten things out...and stay away from personal comments, I'll let things ride for a little while longer. 

Maybe the OP will return to let us know what he hears from Fox.  :biggrin:

Fox are investigating the matter.It may only concern the 4 disc limited  edition  set. Fox have asked for more details,which I have sent them.

#67 of 191 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,695 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 07 2014 - 02:47 AM

This reminds me what happened when CD's arrived, & so many people had got the lyrics wrong from listening to the records (I always thought Hendrix had sung, excuse me while I kiss this guy, on Purple Haze), & for the first time I could make out most of the Steely Dan lyrics.

#68 of 191 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Lead Actor

• 6,591 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 07 2014 - 09:53 AM

POPULAR

All the swear words and ethnic slurs were actually dubbed by Marni Nixon.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then. And while you're at it, PLEASE stop dropping DVD/laserdisc extras from Blu-ray releases of other films.

#69 of 191 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,539 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 07 2014 - 09:02 PM

POPULAR

I love that this guy thinks that Fox are investigating the manner.  It's hilarious, actually.  

#70 of 191 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 836 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 08:18 AM

I love that this guy thinks that Fox are investigating the manner.  It's hilarious, actually.  

Well, I certainly hope Mr. Cinerama10 has let Fox know that there's an entire thread devoted to this subject and every participant on it is eagerly awaiting the results of their investigation. Home Theater Forum demands complete answers, dammit!

#71 of 191 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted May 08 2014 - 08:25 AM

Let's start a boycott until Fox issues a formal apology!

#72 of 191 OFFLINE   cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 02:41 PM

Actually they are investigating the issue.They have  already apologised for the  problem. They have also  asked for  several additional details. They  cannot lose their reputation should  a  person responsible for  the restoration, change some words  as an ego trip. Two other friends  who have viewed the  film,also heard the same words. It does make you wonder what else  is out there  where the restorer has done  similar  tricks.  If  you had heard the  words you would  know that they were inserted by someone during the restoration. The very slight split second pause  beforehand and a different voice makes it obvious.

#73 of 191 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted May 08 2014 - 03:29 PM

Without wanting to be offensive, cinerama10, were the other two people told what to listen for before they listened?

Our brain does hear what we're told to expect. To really check, you would have to play the relevant sound bit to at least a dozen people and ask them to write down what they just heard .. with no hints about what to expect.

I really would be interested to know what hapened under those circumstances ...

#74 of 191 OFFLINE   Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 03:55 PM

We can't allow some disgruntled Fox audio tech get away with sprinkling unauthorized "cocksuckers" around wherever they darn well please, can we?

So, should we just bend over and take this?  How long are we going to put up with them shoving this down our throats?

How long?

If you're with me, just retweet:

#GetPerceivedSmutOutOfOurClassicMovieSoundtrackRestorationsOnceAndForAll

#75 of 191 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted May 08 2014 - 04:13 PM

In checking my disc to inspect what the original poster was referring to I allowed the scene to play through the end of the JET SONG. Can you believe it? The same dirty bastards who added profanity also removed it. The song now ends with "[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Verdana;font-size:16px;]Ev'ry last buggin' gang [/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Arial, Verdana;font-size:16px;]On the whole buggin' street!" [/color]

#76 of 191 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,721 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 08 2014 - 04:27 PM

Actually they are investigating the issue.They have  already apologised for the  problem. They have also  asked for  several additional details. They  cannot lose their reputation should  a  person responsible for  the restoration, change some words  as an ego trip. Two other friends  who have viewed the  film,also heard the same words. It does make you wonder what else  is out there  where the restorer has done  similar  tricks.  If  you had heard the  words you would  know that they were inserted by someone during the restoration. The very slight split second pause  beforehand and a different voice makes it obvious.

If "the restorer" had done it, it would be on all discs of the film, and it's not.  It certainly is not on my copy.  Where did you purchase your copy?

#77 of 191 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 04:54 PM

Please post the audio clip of this offensive language?  Very easily done.  Otherwise, it doesn't exist.

#78 of 191 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,533 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted May 08 2014 - 05:10 PM

Okay, folks.  An hour ago my curiosity finally won out and I checked my copy.  I'd actually intended to check it some days earlier, but never seemed to remember once I got away from the computer and into the movie room.

Listened to the 7.1 first, ever mindful of the warning above that you're going to hear what you expect to hear.  Well, there it was, as clear as day.  Either that, or some combination of speech and/or sounds that amazingly resulted in sounding like the line.

Switched to the 4.0.  Heard "punks" clearly.  Fortunately, this is just a few seconds after a chapter stop, so it's easy to play and replay.  Ran it again.  And again.  Now I was hearing the offending line.  Huh?  Double-checked the audio track.  Sure enough, still on 4.0.  Played it again.  Went back to the 7.1.  No question about it there.  Back to the 4.0, and something had happened:  it was thereafter impossible for me to hear "punks".

I kid you not.

So, power of suggestion?  Mass hallucination?  I left it out so I'll remember to try again another day.  And I'll be able to test it with a couple of other people who won't have the slightest idea what the issue is.

This is the Target 3-disc digibook set.  (Didn't want the big box of whatever.)  I'd given the corresponding DVD to someone right away, so can't check that.

#79 of 191 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,320 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted May 08 2014 - 06:46 PM

You mean, Paul really is dead? :o

#80 of 191 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 06:57 PM