MGM Fox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#1 of 191 cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 04:44 PM

I have seen WEST SIDE STORY    numerous times over the past 50 years,in 70mm,on stage and  on dvd. Recently I   rewatched the 50th anniversary bluray   disc and was surprised  at    some   of the words used by one of the  characters.

In the opening scene when the Police arrive   to stop the   gangs  from fighting,the   first cop on the scene  says " break it up you cock suckers". I have watched this  scene over and over and  the cop does  indeed say  what I  claim. This sort of language was never allowed in  films   50 years ago. Am I the only person   who  has   discovered this?  Maybe it was added  by someone  doing the restoration. I am pretty sure that the  same words are repeated  by the same  character later in the movie. I will check it again  and see where else it is  repeated.

#2 of 191 Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted May 02 2014 - 05:07 PM

On my copy it's: "Break it up, you punks."

#3 of 191 cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 05:47 PM

On my copy it's: "Break it up, you punks."

I have the USA  4 discs  bluray  edition and the word punk comes  later in the same scene. It does sound like a different voice in the two word offensive   sentence.

#4 of 191 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,984 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 02 2014 - 06:03 PM

What;s the time stamp of the language and which audio stream?

#5 of 191 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,580 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 06:09 PM

It seems to be a mixing error.

On the English 4.0 soundtrack, Lt. Schrank  is saying 'Break it up, you punks', while about the same time, Officer Krupke is saying 'Knock it off, knock it off'.

On the English 7.1 soundtrack, Krupke's lines are mixed in with Schranks, and it ends up sounding like the offensive phrase.  (Break it up you Knock-punk-it)

It goes by so fast, I guess I never caught it before.

This is right at the beginning of Chapter 3 - the end of the opening fight, the cops jump out of the car and begin pulling the gangs apart.

If you turn on the subtitles, it switches to the 4.0 soundtrack, and you get the dialog as presented in the 4.0 version.

#6 of 191 cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 06:15 PM

What;s the time stamp of the language and which audio stream?

Not sure what you mean? Just play the bluray and in the first  early scene  with the cops.you will hear the offensive words. There is  a split second pause before you hear the words  mentioned.. I have just emailed  20TH CENTURY FOX  and asked for  clarification of my assumption. I have  the 4 disc  restored  collectors  edition. Maybe other editions are different,as one  person has already  noted. There is definitely no mistaking the  words said..

#7 of 191 cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 06:20 PM

It  "doesn't sound like "  the offensive  words -it IS them. The split second pause  before the words means that someone   played a joke during the restoration. The is the sort of thing that has happened with  animated  films.

#8 of 191 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 06:24 PM

POPULAR

I hear these things over and over... They used to claim that in the Betty Boop cartoon "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead You Rascal You" Louis Armstrong sang, "You gave my wife a coca-cola so you could play with her vagola". But the word on the new blu-ray is clearly "victrola". I worked on the Chipmunks TV show and we had Alvin the Chipmunk chasing a pet that had gotten loose around. He said, "Come back here, doggone it." But sped up it sounded like "come back here goddam it." We slowed the voice down and proved to the network that he wasn't saying anything wrong, but the network execs continued to hear dirty words that weren't there. The human mind hears what it wants to hear.

• Neil S. Bulk, Ron1973 and ROclockCK like this

#9 of 191 David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 1,984 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 02 2014 - 06:34 PM

Not sure what you mean? Just play the bluray and in the first  early scene  with the cops.you will hear the offensive words. There is  a split second pause before you hear the words  mentioned.. I have just emailed  20TH CENTURY FOX  and asked for  clarification of my assumption. I have  the 4 disc  restored  collectors  edition. Maybe other editions are different,as one  person has already  noted. There is definitely no mistaking the  words said..

I've tried listening to that scene several times and can't get the offensive words there, but there is some sort of weird mix of 2 different voices.  I think  David Weicker explains what I'm hearing.   Definitely something odd in the mix down that isn't on the subs and sound different depending on which audio mix I'm listening to.  

I'm not sure if it;s just a heavily accented "ya punks," but with the background sounds I can maybe make it say "da cops,"  but I can't get anything that sounds like the second/third syllable.

#10 of 191 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,151 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 02 2014 - 09:11 PM

POPULAR

Well, let me just chime in that this thread really does take the cake.  Seriously.  I mean, I thought I'd seen it all.

• Mark Cappelletty, Tino, Craig S and 13 others like this

#11 of 191 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,088 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 09:48 PM

OH DEARY ME I HAVE THE VAPORS. Or you have weird hearing issues. Seriously.

• Johnny Angell likes this

#12 of 191 cinerama10

cinerama10

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted May 02 2014 - 10:13 PM

I hear these things over and over... They used to claim that in the Betty Boop cartoon "I'll Be Glad When You're Dead You Rascal You" Louis Armstrong sang, "You gave my wife a coca-cola so you could play with her vagola". But the word on the new blu-ray is clearly "victrola". I worked on the Chipmunks TV show and we had Alvin the Chipmunk chasing a pet that had gotten loose around. He said, "Come back here, doggone it." But sped up it sounded like "come back here goddam it." We slowed the voice down and proved to the network that he wasn't saying anything wrong, but the network execs continued to hear dirty words that weren't there. The human mind hears what it wants to hear.

Another friend  has the same  version and he   just watched his copy and he heard the same  words  as I did. There Is definitely a split second pause  before  a different voice   dubs over the original  words. It is a simple thing to do when restoring a dvd..I once heard the 'f word   said  rapidly in an animated film and all my friends heard the same thing when they watched the film. I think it was OPEN SEASON but am not sure. Animators often include words and pictures and hope no one  will notice. WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT  was  an example where the    bluray was minus an offending scene that was in the early dvds..

#13 of 191 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted May 02 2014 - 11:13 PM

I remember a Dusty Springfield record, 'Wishin and Hopin', where I was positive she said 'frigging' instead of 'thinking'. To my ear I was and still am completely right. My wife hears the correct cleaner version but I do like what I thought I heard!

• MatthewA and ROclockCK like this

#14 of 191 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted May 02 2014 - 11:42 PM

There's also that famous story about how the FBI launched an investigation to get to the bottom of the supposedly dirty lyrics hidden in The Kingsmen's 1963 hit song "Louie Louie" - and found nothing dirty of course.

• cafink and Ron1973 like this

#15 of 191 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,556 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 12:13 AM

It was also an issue in one of the Bela Lugosi / East Side Kids movies (Ghosts on the Loose?) when it gained some minor cult status during its initial release among teenagers because Bela Lugosi sounded like he was shouting "Oh Shit!" when he sneezed.

I watched it with a friend, and it actually does sound like Lugosi says that while sneezing.  It even fits context-wise, because he's trying to hide from the kids and the dust induced sneeze forced him to blow his cover.  Really caught us by surprise.  However after watching it a second time, it sort of sounds like he's sneezing in Hungarian.

#16 of 191 John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 03:57 AM

Well, let me just chime in that this thread really does take the cake.  Seriously.  I mean, I thought I'd seen it all.

Ditto.

#17 of 191 Tom Logan

Tom Logan

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 05:16 AM

POPULAR

Guys, something is weird with this release.  At 42:33, when Maria is on the fire escape, right before she turns toward Tony, I can clearly hear her say:

"Paul is dead.  Paul is Dead.  Tony is the walrus."  

Also, for some reason (this is at 1:07:13, with Anita), she says "Carol Ann, stay away from the light."

Can anyone confirm?

• Johnny Angell, cafink, MarkA and 7 others like this

#18 of 191 Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 06:57 AM

POPULAR

And on the VHS open-matte version, when Tony climbs up to Maria's window, he passes a dead munchkin hanging from the fire escape. Scout's honor!

• Johnny Angell, MarkA, Stephen_J_H and 3 others like this

#19 of 191 Didier R

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 07:13 AM

POPULAR

At 63:36 you can clearly see Rita Moreno snorting a line of coke.

• Johnny Angell, MarkA, MatthewA and 4 others like this

#20 of 191 Cremildo

Cremildo

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted May 03 2014 - 07:28 AM

I have seen WEST SIDE STORY    numerous times over the past 50 years,in 70mm,on stage and  on dvd. Recently I   rewatched the 50th anniversary bluray   disc and was surprised  at    some   of the words used by one of the  characters.

In the opening scene when the Police arrive   to stop the   gangs  from fighting,the   first cop on the scene  says " break it up you cock suckers". I have watched this  scene over and over and  the cop does  indeed say  what I  claim. This sort of language was never allowed in  films   50 years ago. Am I the only person   who  has   discovered this?  Maybe it was added  by someone  doing the restoration. I am pretty sure that the  same words are repeated  by the same  character later in the movie. I will check it again  and see where else it is  repeated.

tumblr_n02islcH9d1rhz319o1_500.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MGM, Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users