Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Not just 3D, is Blu-ray media dying?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#301 of 316 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:04 AM

Foxy, all, it's not just about bums on seats.

Films also make money from sales to TV, VHS/DVD/LD/Blu-ray Disc sales, tie-in video games, memorabilia/toys, etc.

Steve W

Sure but to get strong sales from other media they need the films to be popular.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#302 of 316 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,608 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:15 AM

Foxy, all, it's not just about bums on seats.

Films also make money from sales to TV, VHS/DVD/LD/Blu-ray Disc sales, tie-in video games, memorabilia/toys, etc.

Steve W

But see, those are completely different pots of money that have nothing to do with a movie making money.  Just ask the actors.  Sure, sometimes a sequel is green-lit just for the toy revenue but as Foxy said, they tend to go hand in hand.  Truly losing money on a movie is an expensive way to advertise toys.

#303 of 316 OFFLINE   Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,335 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:26 AM

Sure but to get strong sales from other media they need the films to be popular.

With Godzilla, they made a lot of money elsewhere.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#304 of 316 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted August 13 2014 - 11:48 AM

With Godzilla, they made a lot of money elsewhere.

Steve W

Which goes back to my point above that a film which is popular can also make lots of money from other avenues and a lot of people went to see Godzilla at the cinema.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#305 of 316 OFFLINE   KeithDA

KeithDA

Agent

• 43 posts
  • LocationDarlington, UK

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:15 AM

Might be a bit off topic - but a recent prestigious BBC/Sundance series 'The Honourable Woman' which aired in HD in July has just been released onto DVD but NOT Blu Ray. 

When I queried this with the BBC, they said there were no plans to release it on Blu Ray as 'the retailers did not support it'. 

Does that mean that even retailers feel that Blu Ray is on its way out?

#306 of 316 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 15 2014 - 08:57 AM

When I queried this with the BBC, they said there were no plans to release it on Blu Ray as 'the retailers did not support it'. 

No, it means the BBC is once again short sighted, they didn't give their 3D experiment much of a shot either.

#307 of 316 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,334 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted September 15 2014 - 09:15 AM

It is an admission that the numbers aren't there...at least via retail.

#308 of 316 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,754 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 15 2014 - 12:45 PM

Vicious only got a DVD release, too.

#309 of 316 OFFLINE   charlesgunn

charlesgunn

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 01:09 PM

Might be a bit off topic - but a recent prestigious BBC/Sundance series 'The Honourable Woman' which aired in HD in July has just been released onto DVD but NOT Blu Ray. 

In the UK both BBC and ITV have lost interest in Bluray.

There are surefire winners like Sherlock and Downton Abbey that appear on Blu but the majority of the peaktime content that is broadcast in HD fails to get a Bluray release even though other countries may get one.

Its for this reason I purchased a Bluray recorder earlier this year which enabled me to get several things including some movies not on Blu aswell as the most recent series of Jonathan Creek.

I just wish I'd bought one sooner.

The advent of BBC4 HD also means Bluray recordings of countles documentaries and other things that are unlikely ever to get a BD release.

Last week I got 10 Rillington Place and nicely paired up with the Attenborough HD documentary shown in the same week.

If the Bluray market is slowing down and it certainly gets less support in the UK then a BD recorder is the next best option.

Some people take programmes and put them on a hard drive but then you either risk losing lots of content when it crashes or you end up  with multiple backups.

I still have faith in discs , certainly BD discs 

#310 of 316 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,073 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted September 15 2014 - 01:58 PM

If the Bluray market is slowing down and it certainly gets less support in the UK then a BD recorder is the next best option.

I use a hard drive, the problem is it only plays back on my Samsung plasma, i have tried researching if it's possible to copy to another source but keep coming up blank, it's a proprietary format for those televisions as you need to format first to record.

If anyone has a way to get these recordings off my hard drive onto another one then i'm all ears....and whiskers.

#311 of 316 OFFLINE   charlesgunn

charlesgunn

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted September 15 2014 - 02:10 PM

I use a hard drive, the problem is it only plays back on my Samsung plasma, i have tried researching if it's possible to copy to another source but keep coming up blank, it's a proprietary format for those televisions as you need to format first to record.

If anyone has a way to get these recordings off my hard drive onto another one then i'm all ears....and whiskers.

My Panasonic Bluray recorder records everything to its hard drive . Once you've decided whether to keep the recording on a disc you set what quality you want - and with anything HD I always have the max quality but a single layer blank holds between 4 and 6 hours of HD content depending on the broadcast bit rate.

ITV and C4 use a form of copy protection so that you can only create a BD disc once in HD from their broadcasts . Of course you can get round that with a PC burner .

BBC don't have the same restrictions which is great because most of what I record is from the HD BBC channels.

It also doubles as a Freeview HD PVR and  has 2 tuners .

I've modified it so its also my main BD and dvd player as its fully multiregion for both.

1TB drive and I got it for a great price as the model was being replaced by Panasonic but it was more than I wanted to pay to get it upgraded . The MR upgrade also disables the UOP so you can skip warnings , remove forced subs etc.

All I need now is for C5HD to get on Freeview but that looks unlikely in the short term

As for your original problem . I don't know of any cheap options but assuming you can transfer the files to your PC hard drive  ( even though playback on the PC is impossible), once on there there should be any number of programs that will either remove the restriction or convert the files into something else   although I doubt any such program would be free.

#312 of 316 OFFLINE   KeithDA

KeithDA

Agent

• 43 posts
  • LocationDarlington, UK

Posted September 16 2014 - 07:36 AM

Vicious only got a DVD release, too.

Well, fair enough, I was talking about quality product! - but more seriously:

In the UK both BBC and ITV have lost interest in Bluray.

isn't this just chicken and egg - if the BBC/ITV don't put things out on Blu Ray then they will never know what kind of take up they will get?  How much more does it cost to produce and market Blu Ray compared to DVD?  Surely not that much AND they can charge a premium price for it.

#313 of 316 OFFLINE   Patrick Donahue

Patrick Donahue

Second Unit

• 482 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted September 28 2014 - 03:56 PM

I thought this sign in the Best Buy blu-ray section was interesting...image.jpg

#314 of 316 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,743 posts

Posted September 29 2014 - 05:37 AM

WalMart's DVD and Blu-ray section has diminished to a single aisle in my local stores. Not a good sign. I also noticed that my recent rental of The Grand Budapest Hotel had an (unskippable!) ad at the beginning touting the "benefits" of purchasing digital copies of films. It was more than a little deceptive, saying that you could own the films FOREVER and have them accessible at any time in any place. That's true as long as you have an approved device that can connect to the Internet to check the license and the server that manages downloads and licenses is functioning. I simply don't trust digital for anything that I want to keep. I only purchase physical media for anything I want to keep. I know I'm fighting a losing battle, though.

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#315 of 316 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts
  • LocationThe wilds of Pennsylvania

Posted September 29 2014 - 07:20 AM

With the announcement of 4K Blu-ray appearing next year, you have to think it will be around for a while longer. Interesting that some new titles are getting DVD only releases. I would think Blu-ray will be kept around for the niche market as long as they can make money from it. It will get more difficult to find titles in brick and mortars. My b&m titles are now limited to the bargin bins with the majority puchased online. The Walmart in my area scaled back Blu-ray titles about a year ago with only the most recent biggest sellers appearing on the shelf, and I'm talking maybe 3 or 4 new titles a month! I haven't seen an older catalog title in any b&m in 2 years, except for maybe a couple John Wayne movies in a bargin bin.

#316 of 316 OFFLINE   KeithDA

KeithDA

Agent

• 43 posts
  • LocationDarlington, UK

Posted Today, 12:39 AM

Amazingly this is now available (from this month) in Blu Ray on Amazon.  No idea why they have changed their minds and released it now - almost a year after transmission.  Not sure what kind of take up its going to have... but at least its there!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users