What's new

Not just 3D, is Blu-ray media dying? (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know about dying, it's struggling, but then all physical media is. It's a brave new world a'coming!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Steve Jobs famously called the format a "bag of hurt." Not sure why this is in the title? Blu-ray was introduced in 2006. That's 8 years ago. Is the point in the article that Blu-ray has been "bag of hurt" 8 years now, or are we talking about the current situation where the physical media is having a hard time?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Jari K said:
"Steve Jobs famously called the format a "bag of hurt."

Not sure why this is in the title? Blu-ray was introduced in 2006. That's 8 years ago. Is the point in the article that Blu-ray has been "bag of hurt" 8 years now, or are we talking about the situation now where psychical media is having a hard time?
Personally I've always loved the reliability of Apple products, but ever since Steve Jobs decided to refuse to acknowledge Blu-ray media there has been a sore spot festering in my feelings for the company.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I love the quality of Bluray and I also buy a lot of DVDs particularly old tv shows. So for me there's room for both , but I wonder if having 2 such physical media formats is hurting both of them . Just a thought .

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jari K said:
"Steve Jobs famously called the format a "bag of hurt."

Not sure why this is in the title? Blu-ray was introduced in 2006. That's 8 years ago. Is the point in the article that Blu-ray has been "bag of hurt" 8 years now, or are we talking about the situation now where psychical media is having a hard time?
In 2006, Blu-ray WAS a big whopping Bag O' Hurt. (Although I got in early with a PS3, and never had to wait 30 minutes for Pirates 2 to load.)
It was Jobs' response at the time to why Apple didn't immediately leap on the Flashy New Trend on day One and make Blu drives standard on all iMacs, when even the standalone players couldn't get their act together for another two to three years.
And if a columnist has to dig up '06 comments about Blu-ray for appraisals of the '14 Blu industry, he's gonna pull a few arm tendons there reaching. :rolleyes: I know some kids in second grade who are younger than that quote.

And I'm not sure why Sony's blaming Blu and 3D, when they already have the PSVita, the Playstation 4, too much 4K development for the industry's own good, and the fact that they haven't had a franchise or breakout movie hit in seven years. (It might, er, help if they stopped trying to push Resident Evil sequels as their own private action label, and it doesn't look like Spiderman's going to continue to be a longterm investment.)

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I agree deep catalogue blu-ray is niche which is why TT etc need our support. I give the format 5 years by which time I hope the films I want are out. I won't be streaming but my son probably will.I accept that streaming is the future even if the quality is diminished. Audio downloads trade quality for convenience and it will be the same for video files. There is no chance of packaged media for 4K, there simply won't be the demand. Blu-ray is the end of the road, enjoy it while it lasts!

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"And I'm not sure why Sony's blaming Blu and 3D."Are they? The article has a few quotes and then some random speculation and old "war stories" from 2006. After 8 years some people say: "See, I told ya! It has been dying from 2006!"?Too late. Blu-ray didn't die. If it "dies" now (whatever that means, in 2015? In 2020?), it'll be in the same boat as the rest of the physical media. In that situation it's hard to put the blame on BD."Blu-ray is the end of the road, enjoy it while it lasts!"You've a point there. BD will be the last real physical media for films/tv/etc.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Ejanss said:
In 2006, Blu-ray WAS a big whopping Bag O' Hurt. (Although I got in early with a PS3, and never had to wait 30 minutes for Pirates 2 to load.)
It was Jobs' response at the time to why Apple didn't immediately leap on the Flashy New Trend on day One and make Blu drives standard on all iMacs, when even the standalone players couldn't get their act together for another two to three years.
And if a columnist has to dig up '06 comments about Blu-ray for appraisals of the '14 Blu industry, he's gonna pull a few arm tendons there reaching. :rolleyes: I know some kids in second grade who are younger than that quote.

And I'm not sure why Sony's blaming Blu and 3D, when they already have the PSVita, the Playstation 4, too much 4K development for the industry's own good, and the fact that they haven't had a franchise or breakout movie hit in seven years. (It might, er, help if they stopped trying to push Resident Evil sequels as their own private action label, and it doesn't look like Spiderman's going to continue to be a longterm investment.)
The PS4 has been a HUGE success for Sony so far. It's selling like gangbusters. And Vita is doing pretty well, too. Unlike with the initial PS3 sales, the video games division of Sony is doing really well right now.

What has been bleeding the company the last few years is the other hardware electronics, especially TVs. They've gone a long way to correct and minimize that, but it put them in a huge hole.

You are correct in that the feature film division needs a new franchise to latch on to, too. That's why their trying to spin-off the Spider-Man films into the Sinister Six, among other projects.

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I do hope that rather than let the format die out that independent labels like Twilight Times may persevere with releasing catalogue titles even at inflated prices .
If getting our favourite films in HD means returning to pricing similar to the days of Laserdisc then so be it.

As things stand now downloading is not an option and the very least I would expect with a downloaded purchase would be the ability to transfer it from one device to another and with catalogue titles I can't see why studios would resist that .

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
2014 looks set to be the best year catalog Blu-ray has ever had, in terms of quantity of high quality titles:

Jacques Demy Box Set
Walerian Borowczyk Box Set
White of the Eye
Performance
Alain Robbe-Grillet Box Set
Sullivan's Travels
Foreign Correspondent
Chris Marker Short Films Collection
Werner Herzog Box Set(s)
Spirited Away
Persona
The Freshman
Chaplin Mutual Collection
Mack Sennett Blu-ray Collection Vol. 1
Red River
All That Heaven Allows
It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
The Burbs
The Time Machine
Sorcerer
Touch of Evil/Double Indemnity
3D Rarities Collection
Rabid Dogs
The Andy Griffith Show
Marty
Witness for the Prosecution
Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection
Point Blank
I Love Lucy
The Honeymooners
Rollerball
The Swimmer
The Train
The Cabinet of Dr Caligari
Twin Peaks
Batman
A Hard Day's Night
Gilda
The Lady from Shanghai
A boat load of Godzilla films!
Kindergarten Cop!!!

And I know I've missed plenty!

If that's "Blu-ray dying" then I think we'll be fine for a while yet.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I agree with Eddie. It's been an excellent year for catalogue releases, & we're only five months in.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ejanss said:
Also forgot, if this was '06, think the quote would've been Jobs' response to industry frustrations of why Apple (and his new stake in Disney) were supporting Blu in the Blu-vs-HD war--since HDDVD would have given Microsoft the monopoly on movie coding, whereas Blu could be adapted to Apple's existing MP4--but seemed to be staying out of the hardware wars as conscientious objectors...Rather than give us the big news everyone was waiting and hoping for, ie. that Steve had "blessed" Blu by bringing in the new Apple killer-app that would win the war overnight.
As Steve pointed out back then, the format was more trouble than it was worth until it matured, which, chicken-or-egg, wouldn't be until after it had won the war.

What this all has to do with Sony's overextended hardware troubles or the current state of catalogue, only the columnist knows for sure....I think. :wacko:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Filmack.jpg

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
I had read that the UK was the country in Europe where Bluray was selling best of all yet there are some Hollywood titles that have been released in Europe or elsewhere first and in some cases the UK misses out altogether.
Thank heaven for being multi region.
ITV who own a mountain of classic titles including ITC movies like Raise the Titanic have licenced them to other countries who have had some titles for 3 or 4 years while UK releases remain absent and in some cases when they do come out ITV even licence them out here.
ITV's drama tv shows like Lewis and others get Bluray releases in the US but only dvd in the UK where it does seem obvious that ITV have practically given up on Bluray here.

Quite a few high profile BBC tv shows broadcast in HD also only get dvd releases.
The BBC have already ditched 3D and Bluray is not far behind

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Judging solely by some of the titles that are released there, Germany must have the best blu-ray sales of any country. How else to explain blu releases of obscurities like The Naked Face and The Concorde Affair?

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Sony is crying but Starz Home Entertainment reports "Home video sales increased approximately 14% to $56.7 million, from $49.8 million a year ago." Also "Starz Distribution credited strong packaged media sales of content from the The Weinstein Co., original content from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment, and third parties content."
Sony has a lot of problems-a trashed reputation for hardware would be one.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yeah, I've begun to look at Germany as a source for BDs.

To be honest, it's not the death of Blu-ray that worries me, it's more the thought that this is the death of physical media. There's also no decent replacement for it via digital means either. iTunes looks average in quality and you only "kind-of" own it once you've bought it, however the content pretty much dies with you. Netflix seems like the "go to" choice, however that's just rental at the end of the day, no ownership. I also kinda hate the idea that the average joe can access the exact same number of movies as us movies buffs, but that's the snob in me. ;)

Here's a question, if Sony "pulled the plug" on Blu-ray would that mean the end of the format? I mean would other studios/independent labels be able to continue to release content on BD? Or do Sony have complete control of the format? I've never really looked into it and would be interested to know.

Also it's quite interesting that in the comments of that Verge article, the conversation has quickly turned to piracy. These people don't even want to pay for Netflix or an iTunes download. There's a thin line there, I think, and by that I mean that I think a large portion of the people who want BD "die", and for downloads/streaming to reign supreme, are also some of the people who are pirating movies. So you would think that the film industry would be a little more wary of a digital future. There's not much difference between a pirated digital file and a purchased one. However there's quite a massive difference between a pirated file and a Blu-ray Disc - one gives you the real sense of OWNERSHIP and I feel that's a good thing for both customer and studio.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Dale MA said:
Yeah, I've begun to look at Germany as a source for BDs.

To be honest, it's not the death of Blu-ray that worries me, it's more the thought that this is the death of physical media. There's also no decent replacement for it via digital means either. iTunes looks average in quality and you only "kind-of" own it once you've bought it, however the content pretty much dies with you. Netflix seems like the "go to" choice, however that's just rental at the end of the day, no ownership. I also kinda hate the idea that the average joe can access the exact same number of movies as us movies buffs, but that's the snob in me. ;)

Here's a question, if Sony "pulled the plug" on Blu-ray would that mean the end of the format? I mean would other studios/independent labels be able to continue to release content on BD? Or do Sony have complete control of the format? I've never really looked into it and would be interested to know.

Also it's quite interesting that in the comments of that Verge article, the conversation has quickly turned to piracy. These people don't even want to pay for Netflix or an iTunes download. There's a thin line there, I think, and by that I mean that I think a large portion of the people who want BD "die", and for downloads/streaming to reign supreme, are also some of the people who are pirating movies. So you would think that the film industry would be a little more wary of a digital future. There's not much difference between a pirated digital file and a purchased one. However there's quite a massive difference between a pirated file and a Blu-ray Disc - one gives you the real sense of OWNERSHIP and I feel that's a good thing for both customer and studio.
With redray now being used for filming some movies and the new televisions that will able to play redray on the horizon,it is no wonder that bluray will die out and be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks