Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Kino Lorber Studio Classics - First Time on Blu-ray

Blu-ray Kino

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1400 replies to this topic

#301 of 1401 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:15 AM

FoxyMulder

You confirmed the information by saying you were picking up some of Twilight Times leavings, so it's true.

When did I confirm this?

You said it, you said you picked up Twilight Time releases they declined due to quality issues, go back and read some of your posts where you say it, it's not a lie and i still haven't received an answer to my query regarding these new HD masters KIno is creating, that question is on page 15.  I'm sure many readers want to know the answer to this question.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#302 of 1401 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,545 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:16 AM

Gentlemen,

Bring this boiling conversation down to a simmer without personal

attacks.

• Richard V and ljgranberry like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#303 of 1401 OFFLINE   MisterLime

MisterLime

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:21 AM

Anyway, Here's another Great Film Coming is September From Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Richard Brooks' Oscar Winning Classic "ELMER GANTRY" Starring Burt Lancaster and Jean Simmons - Winner of 3 Academy Awards including Best Actor (Lancaster), Best Supporting Actress (Shirley Jones) and Best Screenplay (Richard Brooks).

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 1.18.02 PM.png

#304 of 1401 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 258 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:25 AM

Now that's a classic that has never been available in anamorphic DVD. It's releases like that that make it difficult not to buy from Kino.

#305 of 1401 OFFLINE   ljgranberry

ljgranberry

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:37 AM

Can't we all just get along? :-)

• cineMANIAC likes this

#306 of 1401 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:50 AM

Well, it looks like some members have disregarded my warnings.  Now, we're onto the next step.  Posts have been deleted and other disciplinary action has taken place. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#307 of 1401 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 19 2014 - 09:56 AM

Kino Lorber Studio Classic Releases:

Across 110th Street

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

Breakheart Pass

Cast A Giant Shadow

Children's Hour, The

Cotton Comes to Harlem

Duel at Diablo

Elmer Gantry

Great Train Robbery, The

Juggernaut

Marty

Meteor

Mr. Majestyk

On The Beach

Paris Blues

Party, The

Private LIfe of Sherlock Holmes, The

Sabata

Scalphunters, The

Separate Tables

Taras Bulba

Unforgiven, The

What's New Pussycat?

Witness for the Prosecution

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#308 of 1401 OFFLINE   MisterLime

MisterLime

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 10:01 AM

You said it, you said you picked up Twilight Time releases they declined due to quality issues, go back and read some of your posts where you say it, it's not a lie and i still haven't received an answer to my query regarding these new HD masters KIno is creating, that question is on page 15.  I'm sure many readers want to know the answer to this question.

Please tell me where I said this. Our deal has nothing to do with the TT deal, all I said was that we acquired an incredible package with great HD masters and most of it was from the same pool TT and Shout were cherry picking from. None of these masters were turned down by anyone, MGM has very high standards when it comes to their HD masters. Kino Lorber is also working with MGM to create new HD masters for 8 of the films from this package, all of these 8 films will be newly remastered and available for the first time in HD.

#309 of 1401 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 19 2014 - 10:19 AM

all I said was that we acquired an incredible package with great HD masters and most of it was from the same pool TT and Shout were cherry picking from. None of these masters were turned down by anyone, 

Look lets get something straight, i am not a Twilight Time fan, nor am i a Kino fan, nor am i any studio's fan, i talk for myself only, look at post 248 and it looks to me like you were saying you took titles that Twilight Time turned down, that's the way i read it, i also have read from Twilight Time in this very thread saying they did turn down some of these releases, so which is it. ?

I take it then when you talk about re-mastering some of these titles for HD you actually mean you are spending money on new film scans, that incidentally is all i really wanted to know, a simple yes or no would suffice here.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#310 of 1401 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 10:20 AM

Please tell me where I said this. Our deal has nothing to do with the TT deal, all I said was that we acquired an incredible package with great HD masters and most of it was from the same pool TT and Shout were cherry picking from. None of these masters were turned down by anyone, MGM has very high standards when it comes to their HD masters. Kino Lorber is also working with MGM to create new HD masters for 8 of the films from this package, all of these 8 films will be newly remastered and available for the first time in HD.

Can you tell us which ones are getting this treatment?

• ROclockCK likes this
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#311 of 1401 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 582 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 10:45 AM

Looks like I'll be directing most of my hard earned cash toward Kino.  ELMER GANTRY is a wonderful surprise and if MARTY is clean with good grain and little or no DNR, I'm in.  Really, only one BD I own is so dreadful that I can't even look at it and that is SPARTACUS.  Criterion and TT have been just plain boring for a person of my tastes lately, not so at all with the delightful stuff coming from Kino.

#312 of 1401 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 19 2014 - 11:09 AM

So, may I respectfully ask this question: You are saying that no title in the Kino package from MGM was turned down by Twilight Time?  

#313 of 1401 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 11:42 AM

So, may I respectfully ask this question: You are saying that no title in the Kino package from MGM was turned down by Twilight Time?  

I'm not really sure of the point of this discussion / line of questioning....but I'm going to respectfully surmise that only Twilight Time and MGM definitively know if TT turned down a transfer from MGM, which Kino ultimately licensed from MGM.  Who's to say that Kino has not licensed an MGM title or 2 or 3, which TT or Shout had hoped to license from the studio in the future?  ;)

#314 of 1401 OFFLINE   Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:09 PM

POPULAR

Collectors should be happy with the news that Criterion, Twilight Time, Shout! Factory, and Kino Lorber have between them licensed a considerable quantity of classic films from the vaults of MGM/UA. We're sure that each of the companies have titles that the others would like and vice versa - that's just the name of the game, and the luck of the draw.

Speaking only for Twilight Time (who have close to 100 films from the MGM/UA catalogue), we are very happy with what we have and hope the aficionados will be too as these classics become available in the coming months and years. 

• Robert Crawford, Dick, Mark Cappelletty and 18 others like this
";s:7:"insider

#315 of 1401 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:13 PM

Well said!

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#316 of 1401 OFFLINE   Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,495 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:19 PM

Collectors should be happy with the news that Criterion, Twilight Time, Shout! Factory, and Kino Lorber have between them licensed a considerable quantity of classic films from the vaults of MGM/UA. We're sure that each of the companies have titles that the others would like and vice versa - that's just the name of the game, and the luck of the draw.

Speaking only for Twilight Time (who have close to 100 films from the MGM/UA catalogue), we are very happy with what we have and hope the aficionados will be too as these classics become available in the coming months and years. 

That's the most sensible thing I've read on any of the various home theater / HD physical media forums of late.

#317 of 1401 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,024 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:20 PM

Thank you very much for that post.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#318 of 1401 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:27 PM

Is Elmer Gantry a new master?  I ask this since the sound on the version that's been on TCM is horrible-the main title in particular...And since the score is quite good by Andre Previn is it in stereo by chance?

#319 of 1401 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:33 PM

Looking at the numbers game, TT has ~100, Kino has ~70 (at least), Criterion has released ~25 (with more on the way), and Shout has released/announced ~65 (with more to come). So, that's an abundance of the catalog out or coming to Blu-ray from MGM/UA (at least 260 total).

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#320 of 1401 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,493 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 19 2014 - 12:34 PM

Ha, so who, who, has The Vikings? Time will tell, but I hope it's you, as your Blu's are multi-region.
  • Ed Lachmann likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Kino

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users