What's new

TCM showing WWW in 1.77 WTF! (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
TCM is showing THE WAY WE WERE in 1.77 aspect ratio, which is of course wrong. I know they are not always in control of the situation and at the mercy of their distributors. The sad thing is that for once they are clearly showing it in a new HD transfer... the picture quality is much better than what they shown previously in 2.35. But can't we have both the improved image quality and the right framing?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Sorry. Turner Classic Movies is on the same path that American Movie Classics took. It won't be long before TCM has commercials too.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Let's face reality. The whole "if my screen isn't filled up I'm not getting the whole picture" crowd will never go away. They just lurk in the shadows like some latent virus.

Thankfully, they didn't take over the world like they threatened to during the late 80s and 90s.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes, but last week they showed The Greatest Story Ever Told in its OAR. This may be an anomaly.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Generally they are very good about "movies shown right" so maybe this is just what Sony is giving them to show for this particular title.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When I have seen a movie on TCM in the wrong aspect ratio and have written them about it, the blame is always placed on the distribution company they got the disc from. So, I believe they ARE at the mercy of the distributor.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Matt Hough said:
When I have seen a movie on TCM in the wrong aspect ratio and have written them about it, the blame is always placed on the distribution company they got the disc from. So, I believe they ARE at the mercy of the distributor.
In some cases, where proper AR has never been done (such as the recent airing of The Big Fisherman in pan-and-scan) I'd believe them, but we know Sony has a 2.35:1 HD master of The Way We Were as there are many Blu-rays released from it. TCM has enough muscle to get Sony to provide them the proper master of that particular film. They just didn't bother.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
In some cases, where proper AR has never been done (such as the recent airing of The Big Fisherman in pan-and-scan) I'd believe them, but we know Sony has a 2.35:1 HD master of The Way We Were as there are many Blu-rays released from it. TCM has enough muscle to get Sony to provide them the proper master of that particular film. They just didn't bother.
You're making an assumption as you don't know for sure.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Damn. TCM were always the best channel on TV and NEVER did this kind of nonsense. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks