Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
1 votes

TCM showing WWW in 1.77 WTF!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted April 27 2014 - 01:18 PM

TCM is showing THE WAY WE WERE in 1.77 aspect ratio, which is of course wrong.  I know they are not always in control of the situation and at the mercy of their distributors.  The sad thing is that for once they are clearly showing it in a new HD transfer... the picture quality is much better than what they shown previously in 2.35.  But can't we have both the improved image quality and the right framing? 

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 27 2014 - 01:40 PM

Sorry. Turner Classic Movies is on the same path that American Movie Classics took. It won't be long before TCM has commercials too.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 838 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted April 27 2014 - 02:11 PM

Let's face reality. The whole "if my screen isn't filled up I'm not getting the whole picture" crowd will never go away. They just lurk in the shadows like some latent virus.

Thankfully, they didn't take over the world like they threatened to during the late 80s and 90s.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted April 27 2014 - 02:15 PM

Mark--- I fear that too though I hope you are wrong.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts

Posted April 27 2014 - 02:18 PM

Yes, but last week they showed The Greatest Story Ever Told in its OAR. This may be an anomaly.

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted April 27 2014 - 02:22 PM

Generally they are very good about "movies shown right" so maybe this is just what Sony is giving them to show for this particular title.

#7 of 12 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 27 2014 - 03:02 PM

Yes, but last week they showed The Greatest Story Ever Told in its OAR. This may be an anomaly.

Yeah, MAR is definitely is the exception rather than the rule. TCM is the only channel that I expect to have the correct aspect ratio.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910

Second Unit

• 303 posts

Posted April 27 2014 - 06:02 PM

As if the tedious THE WAY WE WERE somehow improves in 2.35:1.

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,466 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 27 2014 - 06:40 PM

When I have seen a movie on TCM in the wrong aspect ratio and have written them about it, the blame is always placed on the distribution company they got the disc from. So, I believe they ARE at the mercy of the distributor.

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted April 27 2014 - 10:03 PM

When I have seen a movie on TCM in the wrong aspect ratio and have written them about it, the blame is always placed on the distribution company they got the disc from. So, I believe they ARE at the mercy of the distributor.

In some cases, where proper AR has never been done (such as the recent airing of The Big Fisherman in pan-and-scan) I'd believe them, but we know Sony has a 2.35:1 HD master of The Way We Were as there are many Blu-rays released from it. TCM has enough muscle to get Sony to provide them the proper master of that particular film. They just didn't bother.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,863 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 28 2014 - 06:27 AM

In some cases, where proper AR has never been done (such as the recent airing of The Big Fisherman in pan-and-scan) I'd believe them, but we know Sony has a 2.35:1 HD master of The Way We Were as there are many Blu-rays released from it. TCM has enough muscle to get Sony to provide them the proper master of that particular film. They just didn't bother.

You're making an assumption as you don't know for sure.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 03:51 PM

Damn. TCM were always the best channel on TV and NEVER did this kind of nonsense. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users