What's new

Is there any news on Green Acres? (1 Viewer)

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Is there anything going on with this show? The re-release of the third season last fall seemed to both bring hope and dash it at the same time, seeing as how that season is already otherwise available and likely didn't sell well for that reason. Is there any word on whether Fox plans to continue releases, either by retail or MOD? Or is it being licensed out, either to TGG (if they get it, I hope they release EVERY episode of the remaining seasons) or to Shout (hopefully as a complete series set to fix the flipper sets of the first two seasons)?

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
A license deal with Shout Factory almost happened several years ago. Hopefully something happens soon so this one can be finished off.

I've always been confident that it would be finished, but as the years roll by, it's a bit tougher to remain optimistic. This one seems to be in a difficult in-between area where they know it stands a strong chance to be profitable, but only fairly modestly so.

So my impression is that they've toyed on and off with the idea of finishing it themselves, and when licensing talk comes up, they're perhaps asking a bit too much for it. Deals like the Bob Newhart Show should help matters I would think if both parties end up pleased with the arrangement.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I should have recorded this back 25 years ago when WREG was running it. The prints were in fairly decent shape and were unedited. Oh for a time machine..........

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Surprised Walmart didn't pick this up as part of their recent early exclusive for the fourth and third seasons, respectively, of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. I heard they sold pretty well.

Finishing GA is probably my most wanted release of TV on DVD. Second would be the remaining seasons of Picket Fences.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Malcolm R said:
Surprised Walmart didn't pick this up as part of their recent early exclusive for the fourth and third seasons, respectively, of The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction. I heard they sold pretty well.

Finishing GA is probably my most wanted release of TV on DVD. Second would be the remaining seasons of Picket Fences.
The difference being is that Green Acres isn't distributed by CBS.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
LeoAmes said:
A license deal with Shout Factory almost happened several years ago. Hopefully something happens soon so this one can be finished off.

I've always been confident that it would be finished, but as the years roll by, it's a bit tougher to remain optimistic. This one seems to be in a difficult in-between area where they know it stands a strong chance to be profitable, but only fairly modestly so.

So my impression is that they've toyed on and off with the idea of finishing it themselves, and when licensing talk comes up, they're perhaps asking a bit too much for it. Deals like the Bob Newhart Show should help matters I would think if both parties end up pleased with the arrangement.
I hope something does happen to finish this show. For me, it's tough watching so many stalled shows getting resurrected in the last couple years and yet this show still seems to remain stalled. I have a hard time seeing Fox do it themselves, since they re-released the third season, a move that seems to leave everybody questioning what is going on, and if they are relying on sales of that re-release when the Sony version is still easily available, there is little chance of them releasing it themselves, even as an MOD (at least, that's what it seems like, since they don't seem to be releasing ANY older shows that way, at least not that I have noticed). I would drealy love to see Shout finish it, especially as a complete series set. If TGG finishes the show, I could live with it as long as they release all the episodes, unlike some of their other releases like Bat Masterson and In The Heat Of The Night. Are there any rumors of this show coming to

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Why didn't Viacom/Paramount/CBS end up with the rights to Green Acres like they did with the other two Paul Henning shows?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
MatthewA said:
Why didn't Viacom/Paramount/CBS end up with the rights to Green Acres like they did with the other two Paul Henning shows?
Ah, but Green Acres was created by Jay Sommers, not Paul Henning. Perhaps that makes the difference.

Plus, it looks like the two Henning shows were co-produced by CBS, while Green Acres was strictly a Filmways show with no CBS ties other than CBS airing the show. So, CBS winds up with Hillbillies and Junction, while MGM winds up with Green Acres through Orion and Filmways.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It seems like a very odd arrangement, considering the overlap of characters, settings, etc. You'd think there would have been copyright issues and such that would have prevented such a split in production ownership. Even if it was created by Jay Sommers, it used characters and settings created by Paul Henning.

I keep seeing Green Acres seasons 1-3 popping up in stores here and there (just saw them at a BJ's Wholesale Club last weekend) so someone must think there's still a market demand for them. Otherwise, they'd probably just end up in a landfill (or recycled, if that's possible).

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
...and only 7 years after they said their original plans fell through. Better late than never! Am so looking forward to this!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I plan to pick this baby up on April 14 (My Christmas plans are booked solid). I confess I bought 'boots of the three last seasons from "another source" but they'll be given to Mr. B.F.Hammerr. I'm sure he will find them to be a SMASH! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks