Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

I Love Lucy: Ultimate Season 1 Blu-ray Review

Blu-ray Paramount TV Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 of 88 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,634 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted October 17 2014 - 09:23 AM

I thought the picture quality was fine.  And I was thrilled to have the choice to play each and every episode with the traditional syndication opening or as originally shown in its original network airing, with all those wonderfully dated commercials intact -- something I thought I'd never see!

Now, I can't really justify the huge price CBS is asking for anyone but the most hard-core Lucy fan, as the original DVD release was an excellent one and can still be had for a tiny fraction of what they're asking for the blurays.

But no disappointment here on the quality.

#82 of 88 OFFLINE   Gary16

Gary16

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted October 17 2014 - 09:38 AM

[quote name="classictvfan40" post="4157011" timestamp="1413565393"]I bought the blu ray version of I Love Lucy and was so disappointed in the DVDs. The picture quality was awful. I wish I had not bought it. I should have just stayed with my original dvd release. 

I am wanting to buy The Honeymooners on Blu Ray but I am afraid the picture quality will be just as bad as the Lucy DVD. I could save 35 dollars if I go just the regular DVD route on The Honeymooners.[/quot

The blurays of Lucy, Andy, and the Honeymooners all look beautiful. If you're seeing otherwise then something in your system is not set properly. I watch a five foot wide picture.

#83 of 88 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 389 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted October 17 2014 - 09:42 AM

I have to say that watching the Lucy blu-rays on my projector (110") it looks like film to me, just awesome. I love the S1 blu-ray and want the remaining seasons. Yes, expensive, but it takes a lot of effort to get all those components together.

#84 of 88 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 389 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted October 18 2014 - 03:23 PM

Having this thread pop again yesterday reminded me that I had not watched some of the new extras provided in this set. Today I watched the 1990 TV special which was the first broadcast of the pilot episode. I mention this because I noticed that in the clip portion after the episode, moments from the other seasons, all the way through S6, were presented in high-def (for example, the eggs in the shirt sequence) which seems to in indicate that the entire series has been scanned in high def. Hopefully, since the heavy lifting is done, this means the remaining seasons will eventually appear in blu-ray.

#85 of 88 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,313 posts

Posted October 18 2014 - 07:54 PM

I have stated before that I really want the show. I have been hesitant from just what I have read here. I want to support the releases but what I have spent on Lucy from the Columbia House editions on VHS THE ENTIRE SHOW through Lucy Desi Comedy hour which I have now of course on DVD is in my basement.I think Lucy I have spent the most money on of any other series.CH really advertised those VHS tapes and at the end I was spending 20 dollars for 4 episodes and LD comedy hour 20 bucks per episode.

#86 of 88 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 389 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted December 20 2014 - 10:16 AM

I just watched a really great special on PBS called "Michael Feinstein at The Rainbow Room". I mention it in this thread because Michael sings a tribute to Lucy and Desi, which includes "Cuban Pete" and the theme song. But what is really of interest is that he sings an unknown (at least to me) alternate, unused theme song that was written by none other than Johnny Mercer! Who knew? It's a charming song, and who knows, maybe if I had grown up with it rather than the theme song we know I would have the same affection for it. The entire show is worthwhile, but for Lucy fans, that un-used theme song is really a treasure. (The segment starts at about 32 minutes into the show.)

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365355578/

#87 of 88 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts

Posted December 20 2014 - 11:46 AM

However, from the consumer's point of you, it's not feasible to spend that type of money for ONE season on Blu-ray, when you can buy the whole series on DVD for about $100.00 or less (that's 7 seasons if you count the "Lucy Desi Comedy hours).

That's around how much I paid (more or less) for Shout!'s full-series release of Barney Miller, and it's been worth every penny (outside of the bonus of No. 1 of the Fish spinoff, which I haven't really gotten into). 

"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season, modified from what it was in 1985, in that "other financial services" was said instead of just "financial services")

#88 of 88 ONLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,308 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted December 20 2014 - 05:58 PM

They should look towards Image and what they did with The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Twilight Zone and just copy that formula.

There was nothing substandard with those releases on Blu-Ray.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews, Blu-ray, Paramount, TV Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users