Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cry-Baby (1990) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,032 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 05:37 AM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,032 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 09:55 PM

35334_front.jpg

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,393 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:03 PM

Is the Director's Cut included with this disc?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,461 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 24 2014 - 04:24 AM

^ I'm guessing the director's cut is definitely on there. That being said, I can't think of any Universal title that hasn't had the theatrical cut when there's a director's/extended cut so maybe they'll both be on there.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,032 posts

Posted May 04 2014 - 09:36 PM

Headline Date: TBA Release Date: 7/1/2014

CRY-BABY

Product Source: Theatrical Theatrical Studio: Universal Theatrical Release: 4/6/1990
Synopsis: Eisenhower is President. Rock 'n' Roll is king. And Wade "Cry-Baby" Walker is the baddest hood in his high school. Johnny Depp heads up a supercool cast as the irresistible bad boy whose amazing ability to shed one single tear drives all the girls wild - especially Allison Vernon Williams (Amy Locane), a rich, beautiful "square" who finds herself uncontrollably drawn to the dreamy juvenile delinquent and his forbidden world of rockabilly music, fast cars and faster women. Directed by John Waters, Cry-Baby is an outrageous musical comedy that captures the hysterical high-throttle world of 1954.

Blu-ray Widescreen (62119823) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  Blu-ray  UPC:  0-2519-21143-2-8
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  1
 Street Date:  7/1/2014  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  1 Hour 25 Minutes    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  BD-50 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 French European DTS Digital Surround 2.0 Stereo    Subtitles:  English SDH  
 Edition:  -  Picture:  Widescreen
 Version:  Blu-ray + DIGITAL HD with UltraViolet  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  PG-13  CARA Rating:  -
 Bonus Features:  • Digital Copy of Cry-Baby (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.) • Includes UltraViolet (Subject to expiration. Go to NBCUCodes.com for details.) • It Came From Baltimore • Feature Commentary with Director John Waters  
DVD Widescreen (62021953) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  DVD  UPC:  0-2519-21953-2-7
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  -
 Street Date:  5/10/2009  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  1 Hour 32 Minutes    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  DVD-9 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo    Subtitles:  English SDH French Spanish  
 Edition:  -  Picture:  Anamorphic Widescreen
 Version:  Director's Cut  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  Not Rated  CARA Rating:  [deleted]N/A
 Bonus Features:  • It Came From Baltimore • Feature Commentary with Director John Waters • Deleted Scenes  
DVD Widescreen (62131991) : Disc 1 (Side A) 
 Format:  DVD  UPC:  0-2519-22355-6-6
 Unit Type:  Standard  Number of Media:  1
 Street Date:  5/6/2014  PreOrder Date:   
 Run Time (HH:MM):  1 Hour 32 Minutes    
 Language:  English  Disc Type:  DVD-9 (Single Sided)
 Packaging:  Snap Case with Slip Sleeve  Layers:  Single
 Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo    Subtitles:  English SDH French Spanish  
 Edition:  -  Picture:  Anamorphic Widescreen
 Version:  -  Color/B&W COLOR 
 Rating:  Not Rated  CARA Rating:  -
 Bonus Features:   

Ronald J Epstein

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,393 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 05 2014 - 02:34 PM

So, the Blu-ray is actually 7 minutes shorter than the DVD. Nice one, Universal. I suppose the DC only exists in SD.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,461 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 02:42 PM

^ I've seen those press releases be wrong fairly frequently but if the director's cut is a deal breaker, I'd definitely check the reviews first.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,112 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 05 2014 - 02:47 PM

Waiting on reviews. Both versions should be on Blu-ray since this is coming from the studio, not a 3rd party.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,461 posts

Posted May 05 2014 - 02:51 PM

The director's cut/DVD was released in 2005 so that seems a little late for them to have put the director's cut together in SD but not late enough that I would dismiss it as a possibility (especially since even back then they probably weren't looking to spend a lot of dough on that movie).

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,393 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:07 AM

The press release implies the DC will be there on DVD only. One would think that by 2005, they'd at least be doing the re-editing in HD to future-proof it if they weren't actually putting any scenes back in the negative. But this doesn't look like the case here.

It would also be kind of insulting, considering Fried Green Tomatoes came out on Blu-ray in the extended version, just like the DVD.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,461 posts

Posted July 02 2014 - 06:38 PM

Is the Director's Cut included with this disc?

Nope. I have the disc and it's just the 85 minute theatrical cut. All the extras from the DVD (commentary, 45 minute documentary and 7 minutes of deleted scenes) are ported over. My favorite part of the documentary is when they talk about the footage being added back to the director's cut but don't actually have that version on this disc.

I suppose that since the theatrical cut was never released on DVD, it's nice that I now have a copy of it but how could Universal- who is great about having multiple versions of a movie on disc- have been so shortsighted that they edited the director's cut in SD less than a decade ago?

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,393 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted July 02 2014 - 07:16 PM

Are the deleted scenes at least in HD?

This isn't one of my favorite John Waters films, so I'll stick to the DVD in this case. :thumbsdown:

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,461 posts

Posted July 03 2014 - 03:53 AM

Are the deleted scenes at least in HD?

Nope- just SD. Like I've said, Universal is absolutely rock solid in terms of putting all the versions on Blu-ray (this is the only one that I'm aware of where they haven't had both) but unfortunately, they've broken their streak.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,393 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 09 2014 - 06:45 AM

It's rather obvious Waters wanted the scenes back in the film in this case considering he chose to keep the extra 15 minutes of Pink Flamingos separate from the film in the re-released version. Female Trouble was another thing entirely; the original 16mm and 35mm prints had mutually exclusive footage (and separate video releases taken from one or the other).

It's disappointing they didn't offer both the theatrical and extended cuts considering Universal could do the same for 1941. Waters ended his 1981 book Shock Value thus:

I think my parents should relax and realize that today, in my old age and maturity, I only think terrible thoughts, I do not live them. Thank God I am not my films. If audiences can laugh at my twisted ideas, what's the great harm? I can't imagine anyone being influenced enough by my work to actually try and emulate the characters' misery in real life. At least I've never done anything really decadent, like waste millions of dollars of other peoples' money and come up with a movie as dumb as 1941 or The Deep. The budgets of my films could hardly feed the starving children of India.

I have never seen either film, but I do remember 1941 being used as parlance for "big-budget bomb" by Hollywood history books, gossip columnists and others — how many of those doing so have actually seen it is beyond me — for years before it got a director's cut. This film didn't make money either, but just as I do with Disney, I ask Universal why upgrade one to HD but not the other and why not do both?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users