Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like Disney intends to get their remaining Animated features on Blu real soon...

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#1 of 127 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,248 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 05:04 PM

From a "Rumor Mill" link on Digital Bits:

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/2014

Now, if only we could get the uncensored MAKE MINE MUSIC.

• Eric Vedowski and Josh Steinberg like this

#2 of 127 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,309 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 22 2014 - 06:38 PM

I'll hope for the best but an entry on Wikipedia doesn't exactly seem like the most reliable info.

#3 of 127 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,841 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted April 22 2014 - 06:52 PM

I put slightly more stock in this Disney Wiki entry than in a normal Wiki. If it's right, this falls in line with the trend the last few years.

• Mark Walker likes this

#4 of 127 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,808 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 09:27 PM

If Bill Hunt said it himself, I'd trust it.  

If a user-contributed Wiki--especially one talking about Disney release dates--said it, I wouldn't.

...Back to the salt mines.  :(

#5 of 127 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 22 2014 - 09:36 PM

POPULAR

I'm more interested in their live-action catalogue at this stage.  Was it really the reportedly poor sales of "Babes in Toyland" which stopped Disney's planned series of Blu titles?  I know there was several in the pipeline, including "Pollyanna" and "Absent Minded Professor". 

• Mark Walker, MatthewA, Nick*Z and 2 others like this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#6 of 127 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted April 22 2014 - 10:38 PM

You cannot judge the potential sales of the library by Babes in Toyland alone. Walt didn't give up on making musicals after it flopped, did he?

Absent-Minded Professor was supposed to be a double feature with Son of Flubber, and Flubber was supposed to come out.

Here's the actual Digital Bits link, where Bill Hunt quotes the uncited Disney Wiki verbatim:

http://thedigitalbit...nts/042214_1130

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#7 of 127 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,808 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 11:34 PM

You cannot judge the potential sales of the library by Babes in Toyland alone. Walt didn't give up on making musicals after it flopped, did he?

Did that disk actually come out?  I don't recall it getting a lot of publicity on shelves.

#8 of 127 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 23 2014 - 12:01 AM

It came out - by all accounts an absolutely wonderful HD transfer.  

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#9 of 127 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,568 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 23 2014 - 04:21 AM

It came out in 2012. I reviewed it here.

#10 of 127 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,394 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 08:43 AM

I have it--it's a beautiful disc. If it didn't sell, it's because it's a crummy movie.
  • Mark B likes this

#11 of 127 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 23 2014 - 08:46 AM

It wasn't just poor sales of Babes in Toyland that got a lot of titles in the pipeline canceled. It was poor sales of the majority of their live action catalog.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#12 of 127 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,013 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 09:32 AM

Now, if only we could get the uncensored MAKE MINE MUSIC.

I had already heard about Sleeping Beauty.  I am a bit surprised that there is still not Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

#13 of 127 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 09:43 AM

I had already heard about Sleeping Beauty. I am a bit surprised that there is still not Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Ichabod And Mr Toad was in this list for 9/30.

#14 of 127 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,259 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:14 AM

I wonder if El Grupo will be the supplement for Caballeros/Amigos

#15 of 127 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,547 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:20 AM

Great news on the anticipated animated releases....

...however, at this point, I think Blu-ray collectors are more

disappointed by the live action releases which have yet to surface.

• Mark Walker and LeoA like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#16 of 127 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:30 AM

Great news on the anticipated animated releases....

...however, at this point, I think Blu-ray collectors are more

disappointed by the live action releases which have yet to surface.

I already have the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray so I don't know why they are releasing it again.

Yes, where is Swiss Family Robison? Hopefully they can find the 4-track stereo sound tracks for it also.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#17 of 127 ONLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:33 AM

I already have the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray so I don't know why they are releasing it again.

Two reasons:

1) The bigger catalog titles are on a 7-year re-release cycle, and the original Blu-ray came out in 2008, which makes this one year earlier than would normally be expected, but...

2) Maleficent is being released theatrically in May and on home video in the Fall.

Studios like their synergy (see: Mary Poppins and Saving Mr. Banks)

• Mark Walker likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 127 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:59 AM

Of the live-action features, Scarecrow of Romney Marsh would certainly seem to be a logical choice.

• Richard V likes this

#19 of 127 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,808 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 11:02 AM

So, how did we get from "Oh, crap, it's a Wiki article..." to "Wow, I can't wait for all these releases!"?

Was there an actual confirmation on some of these?

#20 of 127 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted April 23 2014 - 11:04 AM

POPULAR

I'm hoping this development means they'll be releasing FINALLY their animated catalog's biggest political hot potato, but a genuine classic..."Song Of The South"...with CEO Bob Iger's impending 2015 exit, it would be a wonderful gesture to the hardcore collectors here who want this out there in commercially available physical media...

• MatthewA, Mark Collins and JoeDoakes like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users