What's new

3D 3D Conversion Wish List (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Bill
Given the questionable future of 3D Blu-ray in general, it's probably a pointless exercise, but still maybe fun to contemplate a list of 2D titles that might be fun to see converted to 3D. I know the quality of such conversions has been a mixed bag, but assuming that results on par with "Titanic" and "Wizard of Oz" could be achieved, what movies would you like to see in 3D?Here's my top 10 list of titles that I think have good 3D potential:The Creature Walks Among Us (hey, I'm a completist)
The RocketeerPhantom of the ParadiseJaws
Wait Until Dark
The Omen
Goldfinger
2001: A Space Odyssey
Jason and the Argonauts
Silverado

Any takers?

Attachments

• Wait Until Dark_1967_ Hepburn.JPG
    Wait Until Dark_1967_ Hepburn.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 59

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My recollection is Wait Until Dark is a bit of a claustrophobic movie. Would 3D lessen or increase that? I'd like to see it in 3D.

I'll nominate the following:
King Kong - both original and PJ's version. The latter really cries out for a conversion. At least i hear the voices. :P
Ray Harryhausen movies like Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and 20,000,000 Miles to Earth.
Carpenter's The Thing - ooh! All those beasties in 3D.

If course, we are just whistling in the dark. There's probably no money to be made doing these conversions.

Real Name
Bill
Agreed, but I like your choices. I was actually going to include War of the Worlds (1953) in my top 10, but then realized that I couldn't omit Jason and the Argonauts. Since we're fantasizing anyway, I almost included How the West Was Won, but then it hit me that 3D wouldn't really even be viable for an image that wide.

As for Wait Until Dark, I think it would be comparable to Dial M For Murder, atmosphere-wise (hey, it's another Frederick Knott story, after all), only with things like the flame in Audrey Hepburn's face, the knife thrown, the crawl across the floor, etc.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ohhh, I like WotW and I'd include Spielberg's remake. Is there a Harryhausen movie we wouldn't like in 3D?:)I didn't realize the same author wrote both Dial and Wait.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
"2001: A Space Odyssey" would be my first choice.

I wish the Star Wars conversions would have continued. I'd also love to see conversions on titles where the sequels got 3D treatment, like the early Marvel movies (Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2) and the 2009 version of Star Trek. Maybe Alien and original Tron.

I wouldn't mind getting some of the conversions that overseas audiences saw theatrically, that we didn't get in the US - Robocop (the new one), Transcendence, Noah. There are probably more I'm forgetting.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Josh Steinberg said:
I wouldn't mind getting some of the conversions that overseas audiences saw theatrically, that we didn't get in the US - Robocop (the new one), Transcendence, Noah. There are probably more I'm forgetting.
Have to wonder if there might be 3D Blu-Rays of these that could be imported (and not region-locked).

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
RJ992 said:
Have to wonder if there might be 3D Blu-Rays of these that could be imported (and not region-locked).
Just learned that there is a 3D BD of ROBOCOP for Australia...but region-locked,

Real Name
Bill
I didn't know that the Star Wars conversions had been scrapped. That's too bad. If I had known, I probably would have put the first one (or fourth, depending on how you calibrate) on my top ten list.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Bill Groves said:
I didn't know that the Star Wars conversions had been scrapped. That's too bad. If I had known, I probably would have put the first one (or fourth, depending on how you calibrate) on my top ten list.
Yeah, when Disney bought Lucasfilm, one of the first things they did was to cancel the remaining conversions -- Episodes II and III should have been out last fall. I'm hoping that we'll at least see an Episode I BD3D at some point, and maybe the others depending on how much work was completed before they cancelled.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Considering the fact that some classic movies have been getting limited reissues in theatres in the US only this past week -- The Ten Commandments -- that would be one movie I'd like converted (perhaps even Ben Hur, but a 3 hour movie might be a little hard on the eyes)

To me, one title would be a great hit in theatres if converted to 3D and has many scenes that would certainly pop out if converted -- It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World -- also everyone has movies of their youth that would be prime candidates: growing up during the disaster movie cycle, a couple of titles would look great back on the big screen -- The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, Earthquake would benefit as well as titles I'm amazed that haven't been given the treatment already, namely The Exorcist and the original Jaws

I have to admit that I love the current craze of 3D movies since Avatar and I'm sorry to realize that as of this date, the doomsayers may have a point in their predictions for the format. Still, some would say that it will only take one huge hit for it to come back in vogue again.....

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I definitely agree about the remaining Star Wars movies. I saw Rio 2 3D today (great pop outs, especially of beaks etc.) and kept picturing swinging light sabre blades swinging out over the audience.

Real Name
Bill
Earthquake would be another good choice. It's such an awful movie, it needs all the technological help it can get, which is why I wish Universal was issuing Sensurround editions of the four titles released in that format.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
Bill Groves said:
Earthquake would be another good choice. It's such an awful movie, it needs all the technological help it can get, which is why I wish Universal was issuing Sensurround editions of the four titles released in that format.
I'd be happy if they'd release a Blu of ROLLERCOASTER!

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Daniel Haller's "Die Monster, Die!". Given the OTT art direction, it's already 2.5D.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
John Maher_289910 said:
I'd be happy if they'd release a Blu of ROLLERCOASTER!
I took my father to see "Rollercoaster" in Sensurround. As we left the cinema he swore he'd never go to see a film with me again . . . . and he never did. :)

Real Name
Bill
I actually think Rollercoaster is the only one of the Sensurround releases that really stands on its own as a movie without the added audio effect, although I'd still love to be able to have a DVD or Blu-ray edition that replicates it. Earthquake is just laughably bad, Midway has too much soap opera, and of course, Battlestar Galactica is a TV pilot.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Bill Groves said:
I actually think Rollercoaster is the only one of the Sensurround releases that really stands on its own as a movie without the added audio effect, although I'd still love to be able to have a DVD or Blu-ray edition that replicates it. Earthquake is just laughably bad, Midway has too much soap opera, and of course, Battlestar Galactica is a TV pilot.
I have to agree although they're all quite enjoyable.
"Rollercoaster" was also the only one to have its Sensurround effects recorded on location.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks