-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The John Wayne Film Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 of 103 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,659 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 29 2014 - 08:16 PM

I would also recommend WAR OF THE WILDCATS, a 1943 Republic picture (available on Blu-ray from Olive Films). A fun and light-hearted Wayne film with Albert Dekker and Gabby Hayes.
THE SPOILERS with Marlene Dietrich and Randolph Scott (in a rare "bad guy" role) is one of my favorites as well but not available on Blu-ray.

I too ordered WAR OF THE WILDCATS based on the talk on this thread. It is truly an entertaining Wayne film. And a heck of a lot of fun. Thanks to all that recommended it.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#102 of 103 RBailey

RBailey

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 03:44 AM

A funny side note about WAR OF THE WILDCATS: In 1964, a local theatre ran a weekly children's matinee series and each weekend presented a chapter of a 1947 Republic serial, JESSE JAMES RIDES AGAIN with Clayton Moore. I went every week and consider myself lucky that I was able to see a complete 13 chapter serial on the big screen presented week-by-week. The cliffhanger of Chapter 12 was spectacular and an exciting sequence that really impressed 14 year-old me.

It was probably 10 years later that I finally caught up with WILDCATS on a TV airing and was astonished to see that footage turn up as the big climax to the film. Revisiting the serial shows just how adept Republic's crew was at incorporating "big" stock footage into their lower-budgeted serials.

#103 of 103 David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,448 posts

Posted June 30 2014 - 06:45 AM

I watched War of the Wildcats this weekend. it was great to see a younger Duke in a lighter-toned film where he brought more humor to his role than in his later Ford masterpieces. It was also great to see a young and pretty Martha Scott play someone other than Charlton Heston's mother.

• ahollis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users