Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes: The Platinum Collection Volume 3 (Blu-ray)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 of 103 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,225 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 12:09 AM

"Of the 1930-1969 theatrically released shorts, 831 cartoons remain to be released in HD and overall 485 are not available on either DVD or Blu-Ray."

OMG!

#62 of 103 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 05:09 AM

You can bump that up to about 640 if you only own the Golden Collections.

#63 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 22 2014 - 07:10 AM

Also, there's actually 61 cartoons that seem to be exclusive as bonus shorts on live-action feature DVDs, as well as nine available for iTunes/Amazon download. I would estimate around 150-200 cartoons are exclusive to laserdisc and VHS.

• phillyrobt likes this

#64 of 103 OFFLINE   bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 04:42 PM

Also, there's actually 61 cartoons that seem to be exclusive as bonus shorts on live-action feature DVDs, as well as nine available for iTunes/Amazon download. I would estimate around 150-200 cartoons are exclusive to laserdisc and VHS.

I was wondering about this recently, and couldn't find a listing of those cartoons anywhere. Does anyone know where they might be listed? I have a few on various Warner DVDs, but I'd be hard-pressed to remember what's on my shelves. Need to keep my own listing of what bonus cartoons I've got.

#65 of 103 OFFLINE   phillyrobt

phillyrobt

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 04:54 PM

http://www.dohtem.com/bugs/

#66 of 103 OFFLINE   phillyrobt

phillyrobt

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted April 22 2014 - 04:57 PM

http://looney.golden...s.com/DVDvideo/

#67 of 103 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 23 2014 - 07:07 AM

Looking forward to this release. that said, if this is the last one then I see no need to pre-order it at a premium like I did the previous two volumes. I'll wait for it to hit the $20 mark.

#68 of 103 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,058 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted April 23 2014 - 07:24 AM

Good point. The first two volumes fell pretty quickly to, and have stayed around, the $32 mark for a while now, so this third one should also drop to a similar price.

#69 of 103 OFFLINE   bugsy-pal

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 04:04 PM

Thanks! Very helpful... though not complete

• phillyrobt likes this

#70 of 103 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'd hesitate to include those in a similar sort of count since many of those are not remastered in the way the majority of the GC/SS/Academy Award/etc sets were.  They are mostly TV transfers put on disc, sometimes using the same censored prints (i.e. Confederate Honey on the Virginia City DVD).  Same goes for many of the "bonus" cartoons on GC Vol. 6--just TV prints not in the same league as the mainline cartoon restorations.

#71 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 24 2014 - 06:27 AM

While they're not remastered, I think it's worth pointing out since it's still the "best" source available for most of the involved cartoons. Some of these bonus cartoons have never had a video release otherwise.

#72 of 103 OFFLINE   ThadK

ThadK

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 04:31 AM

Just a week before it ships, Vol. 3 is down to $34.49 on Amazon. Just a tipoff in case you haven't preordered.

• Mark Walker and phillyrobt like this
"It's the end of the age of innocence starting now."

#73 of 103 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:58 PM

The German edition of this (available on amazon.de) is only €15.99 ... (similar as for vol. 2, which contents were exactly the same as the US release).

#74 of 103 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 07 2014 - 04:47 AM

The German edition only has one disc, and therefore half the content.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#75 of 103 OFFLINE   Paul Tilburgs

Paul Tilburgs

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted August 07 2014 - 08:36 AM

The German edition only has one disc, and therefore half the content.

Really? How odd. Do you have a source for this info? All I can find indicate 2 discs...

#76 of 103 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 07 2014 - 09:23 AM

I was going off of Vol. 1 only being 1 disc for the German release, but apparently Vol. 2 was both discs for Germany. So I guess we won't know for sure until someone has it in hand.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#77 of 103 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted August 09 2014 - 07:45 AM

How is 16.00 pounds and post cheaper??     while the laser disc sets have uncut stuff ,most of the TV versions are better transfers ,and most of

the best B&W  Porky stuff never showed up on laser ,since Warner's only gave a few mixed in with color stuff on their single lasers ,so you need the stuff

off TV

#78 of 103 OFFLINE   ThadK

ThadK

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 11 2014 - 01:03 PM

POPULAR

Got my copy tonight and did a quick scan. Most of the first disc's Bugs Bunny cartoons are new transfers, so it looks like a lot of those cartoons weren't remastered in HD for the DVD releases. The good news is that they redid THE BIG SNOOZE and GORILLA MY DREAMS, so there's no DNR marring the great animation, and they look fantastic. LIFE WITH FEATHERS is still a Blue Ribbon; CANARY ROW had its opening rings restored. I can't wait to take a better look at it this week.

• Powell&Pressburger, JoHud, Persianimmortal and 2 others like this
"It's the end of the age of innocence starting now."

#79 of 103 OFFLINE   phillyrobt

phillyrobt

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 04:41 AM

$36.99 at FYE (for those who need it today)

#80 of 103 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,038 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted August 12 2014 - 04:59 PM

I still can't believe that this is going to be the end of HD Bugs on Blu ray. No Rhapsody Rabbit? Unbelievable!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users