Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Announcement: Looney Tunes: The Platinum Collection Volume 3 (Blu-ray)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 of 103 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 12:05 AM

DisplayMAMExtView.jpg

Synopsis:  What Collectors have been asking for…Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Volume 3 is the 3rd release in this quintessential collection of fan favored shorts - all digitally remastered and on BD. spacer.gif

Special Features: 
Over 5 hours of insightful documentaries, additional rare shorts, featurettes, commentaries and more!

Street Date: 8/12/14

MSRP: $44.98

Episodes:
Disc 1
Hiawatha's Rabbit Hunt
Corny Concerto, A
Falling Hare
Little Red Riding Rabbit
Hair-Raising Hare
Acrobatty Bunny
Big Snooze, The
Hare Grows in Manhattan, A
Easter Yeggs
Slick Hare
Gorilla My Dreams
High Diving Hare
Hillbilly Hare
Bunny Hugged
Operation: Rabbit
Bully for Bugs
Bugs and Thugs
Knighty Knight Bugs
Honey's Money
Hep Cat, The
Pigs in a Polka
Ham in a Role
Dog Gone South
Bear for Punishment, A
Steal Wool

Disc 2
Porky Pig's Feat
Scrap Happy Daffy
Plane Daffy
Stupid Cupid, The
Draftee Daffy
Nasty Quacks
Stupor Salesman, The
Wholly Smoke
Swooner Crooner
Life with Feathers
Canary Row
Tree for Two
Sandy Claws
Dog Pounded
Satan's Waitin'
Birds Anonymous
Mouse and Garden
Pied Piper of Guadalupe, The
Gruesome Twosome, A
Guided Muscle
Beep Prepared
Walky Talky Hawky
Rhapsody in Rivets
High Note
Nelly's Folly

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Mark Walker and phillyrobt like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 103 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,840 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 16 2014 - 12:14 AM

I thought Warner doesn't care about toons? ;)   Also, why didn't this box set include XYZ toon? :P   Anyhow, of course, it could be better, but I'll be purchasing this box set.

• Randy Korstick likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 103 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted April 16 2014 - 03:27 AM

I'll be getting this to add to the two other volumes, but am I correct in assuming that this will be the last one they release?

#4 of 103 OFFLINE   ThadK

ThadK

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 05:09 AM

I'll be getting this to add to the two other volumes, but am I correct in assuming that this will be the last one they release?

That's the plan. This third has been sitting on the shelf ready-to-go for some time. (Was there any doubt, given only about seven needed to be remastered for HD?)

"It's the end of the age of innocence starting now."

#5 of 103 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 05:23 AM

Do these three Platinum Blu-ray releases contain all of the cartoons

on the 6 Golden Collection DVDs?

I own the 6 DVDs, but really haven't had a desire to buy these cartoons

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 16 2014 - 05:41 AM

There's only 150 featured cartoons across the three volumes (plus 19 on the Mouse Chronicles set) - about 350 were released across the six DVD collections and another 100 across all the miscellaneous collections (Super Stars, Oscar shorts, etc). It would take 4-5 more volumes of this size to catch up with what's on DVD.

#7 of 103 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:53 AM

So, where do we go from here? Is the rest of the library doomed to remain unreleased for the rest of this era in home video?

If WHV is truly done with remastering shorts for home video, the smart (and only possible) course would be to annex the unreleased shorts and let Warner Archive handle them, and let WHV continue to double dip from the Golden Collections.

• Randy Korstick likes this

#8 of 103 OFFLINE   marshman1138

marshman1138

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:55 AM

Oh, I hope not....

• Mark Walker likes this

#9 of 103 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,124 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:00 AM

They still haven't released all the Looney Tunes shorts they put on the '90's-era laserdiscs to DVD, much less Blu-Ray. Warner Bros. really dropped the ball when it came to releasing their animated treasures to disc.

#10 of 103 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,218 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 10:35 AM

That first disk looks like a real winner. It will be nice to see Gorilla My Dreams without DVNR erasing the lines all over the place too. I don't mind double dips from DVD collections at all. The difference in image quality between DVD and blu-ray is huge.
  • Mark Walker likes this

#11 of 103 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,218 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 10:38 AM

I'm also curious to see what the downshot background in Grusome Twosome looks like in HD. That background looked like a completely different painting on laserdisc and DVD. I wonder if that is an example where they used a timing shift at Technicolor to achieve a night effect.

#12 of 103 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 16 2014 - 10:48 AM

Looking forward to this. I've purchased the other two, the Mouse Chronicles, and the T&J Vol. 1 releases. Hopefully they can figure out ways to keep the short films on Blu-ray releases going, even if through the Warner Archives.

• Mark Walker likes this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 103 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,705 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 11:17 AM

There's only 150 featured cartoons across the three volumes (plus 19 on the Mouse Chronicles set) - about 350 were released across the six DVD collections and another 100 across all the miscellaneous collections (Super Stars, Oscar shorts, etc). It would take 4-5 more volumes of this size to catch up with what's on DVD.

The funny thing is that all of those (minus GC Vol 1) have already been given HD treatment and ready for blu-ray.  4-5 additional volumes could be released involving no additional restoration cost on blu-ray and keep the line alive at least that may more years.

It ideal to just have the equivalent of double dips to look forward to, but it's a much better alternative than just having the line go belly-up.  I'm probably not alone on wanting the rest of those re-released on blu-ray.

Hopefully they can figure out ways to keep the short films on Blu-ray releases going, even if through the Warner Archives.

Unfortunately I doubt the latter is going to come to pass anytime soon.  The WHV department still depends on the LT in its endless DVD rehashes of repackaged Golden Collection/Super Star cartoons which has exploded in number in the past year, so it's very unlikely it'll continue through the WAC.  At best we might see something like the Harman-Isings or other "lesser" portions of the library given to the WAC.

Hopefully we do get to see a continuation here, even if they end up being single disc releases.

• Mark Walker likes this

#14 of 103 OFFLINE   ThadK

ThadK

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 12:07 PM

Unfortunately, the DNR on Gorilla My Dreams and Big Snooze will probably be present, unless they went in and did a new transfer. The DNR on Elmer's Candid Camera that was on the very first Golden Collection in 2003 was still very much there on the 2012 Blu-Ray—indicating that the same exact copy was used.

#15 of 103 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,613 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 12:43 PM

Unfortunately I doubt the latter is going to come to pass anytime soon.  The WHV department still depends on the LT in its endless DVD rehashes of repackaged Golden Collection/Super Star cartoons which has exploded in number in the past year, so it's very unlikely it'll continue through the WAC.  At best we might see something like the Harman-Isings or other "lesser" portions of the library given to the WAC.

I could see their MGM Tex Avery/Droopy going to Archive, since they don't know where else to put it, and I'd buy it if it was in Blu.

As for Looneys, however, first we've got to get Warner on the psychiatrist's couch and start some goodwill-hunting:  
First, we've got to get them past their paranoia-slash-inferiority-complex that "Nobody remembers the Looneys! :( ", just because nobody watches that crappy and bafflingly unfunny CN reboot, and because they can't market new cross-promotional DTV kid-videos the way they can with Tom & Jerry.

And THEN, we have get them past those old Yogi Bear and Popeye traumas that give them the shakes every time someone says "4-disk Collector boxset".

Maybe with a little care and patience, we can help Warner be a healthy, productive, balanced contributor to the collector-market society again.

#16 of 103 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted April 16 2014 - 03:12 PM

Unfortunately, the DNR on Gorilla My Dreams and Big Snooze will probably be present, unless they went in and did a new transfer. The DNR on Elmer's Candid Camera that was on the very first Golden Collection in 2003 was still very much there on the 2012 Blu-Ray—indicating that the same exact copy was used.

Are you sure it's Elmer's Candid Camera? I just checked it and there's no perceptible DVNR artifacts on the Blu-Ray.

WB seems to be re-doing some of the cartoons. So far, I'm noticing that nearly any cartoons on the first Golden Collection are new transfers (such as Haredevil Hare, Baseball Bugs, Long Haired Hare, Feed the Kitty, Duck Dodgers and Rabbit Fire). What's Opera, Doc? had substantial edge enhancement on DVD, but it's gone on the Blu-Ray.

Add: I went through the applicable shot frame by frame and there's no DVNR on my copy. Nothing resembling the problems on The Big Snooze, Have You Got Any Castles (the worst), or Gorilla My Dreams on DVD. For that matter, I'm surprised how well the film grain is resolved on the cartoons. The post-1954 cartoons tend to be pretty slick with barely any grain visible - perhaps it's from the switch from nitrate to safety by the 1952-1953 season?

#17 of 103 OFFLINE   ThadK

ThadK

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 04:00 PM

Are you sure it's Elmer's Candid Camera? I just checked it and there's no perceptible DVNR artifacts on the Blu-Ray.

WB seems to be re-doing some of the cartoons. So far, I'm noticing that nearly any cartoons on the first Golden Collection are new transfers (such as Haredevil Hare, Baseball Bugs, Long Haired Hare, Feed the Kitty, Duck Dodgers and Rabbit Fire). What's Opera, Doc? had substantial edge enhancement on DVD, but it's gone on the Blu-Ray.

Check the scene where Bugs "shhs" Elmer with his finger. It's relatively minor compared to the vandalism done on the GC Vol. 2 cartoons.

And that would make sense that they were redoing GC Vol. 1 cartoons, because, as has been stated ad nauseam, the post-48 cartoons on that set were only mastered in SD. A shame that they didn't correct the audio pitch problem on Rabbit of Seville and Rabbit Fire.

#18 of 103 OFFLINE   Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez

Stunt Coordinator

• 152 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 02:43 PM

So, it looks like V3 will be exlusive to Blu-Ray. Except for the four new-to-disc cartoons, it's not a big loss.

So, to get every Looney Tune that's been restored, you'd need:

Golden Collection: 359

Super Stars: 79 (without cropped shorts), 99 (with cropped shorts)

Essential Daffy Duck: 1

Mouse Chronicles: 16

Academy Awards set: 7

Platinum Collection: 21 (new-to-home video), 25 (inc. fullscreen versions of shorts cropped on Super Stars discs)

The highest possible count is 503, just over half the library.

• phillyrobt likes this

#19 of 103 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,248 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 09:42 PM

101211_large.jpg

Now Available for preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Mark Walker likes this

Ronald J Epstein

#20 of 103 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,840 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 17 2014 - 09:53 PM

I will buy this box set, but I'm going to wait for a better price.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users