Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: The Big Chill (Dual Format)

Criterion BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 of 27 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,811 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 02:40 PM

I believe the earlier Criterion laser did not have any supplements.   The only one I can find is a CLV movie-only edition.

#22 of 27 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,942 posts

Posted April 23 2014 - 07:20 PM

could mean silverado's the next kasdan even though its already out on bluray?

#23 of 27 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted April 26 2014 - 11:24 PM

If there is a next one.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#24 of 27 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted April 28 2014 - 08:43 AM

What's there to add to Silverado anyway?

#25 of 27 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 313 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted August 01 2014 - 07:38 AM

POPULAR

I watched the new Criterion blu-ray last night on my projection system. What a pleasure! The image quality is marvelous; I felt like I could step right into the picture and spend the weekend.

It is wonderful to see so much detail that I had never seen before. I saw it only once on the big screen, when it came out in 1983. I was only 19, but I loved it; I didn't necessarily "get it" like I do now, but I was living far from home for the first time and it made me feel like I had friends. :) After that, I recorded it from HBO and watched that VHS many times. I never bought the laserdisc because, at the time, the laserdiscs coming from what was then RCA/Columbia Home Video were among the worst and I simply wasn't going to spend the money and be disappointed again (which is ironic since these days the Columbia catalog is looking so terrific thanks to Sony). I am not sure why I never picked up the Criterion laserdisc, but the VHS served me until the 15th anniversary DVD. 

One thing I noticed in particular is that nuances in facial expressions are, to me, so much more apparent in hi-def. As an example, there is a moment between William Hurt and Tom Berenger that I had actually never noticed before, and it is an important moment for their characters. It takes place on the extreme left of the frame, and I am wondering if it was actually cropped in the pan-and-scan version I watched for so many years. (The conversation is actually going on more to the right of the frame and for pan and scan there may have been a compromise there. Thank goodness we have most new releases in OAR now.) I reviewed the DVD and William Hurt's face is so dark you can't see the intensity of his expression, but on the blu-ray it reads beautifully. In case there are those who haven't seen this film, I will say more about this moment in a spoiler.

Spoiler

I am so pleased with this blu-ray. The only thing that could have made it even better is if they had included the flashback sequence in the extras, but I suspect they would have to pay Costner a hefty sum for that since he was eliminated from the film.

• Mark Walker, Mike Frezon and bryan4999 like this

#26 of 27 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,165 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 01 2014 - 08:39 AM

Nice post, Kevin!  :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to my own viewing of the new Blu of The Big Chill sometime soon.  I don't think I've seen it since seeing it in the theater. 

• Mark Walker and KPmusmag like this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#27 of 27 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted August 01 2014 - 01:55 PM

Watched the Criterion blu-ray on my main screening system Tuesday night and it was an unbridled pleasure to see and hear the quality of this presentation...DP John Bailey did a great job of restoring the little details I saw off a 35mm print when the film was reissued theatrically by Sony for its 15th Anniversary...as for the DTS-MA-HD 5.1-channel surround mix, they did NOT go overboard and gimmick up the sound field, keeping the focus on dialogue clarity and the now-iconic music soundtrack...for historical purists, the original 1983 theatrical mono mix is intact on a 24-bit PCM track. With the features from the 15th Anniversary DVD ported over and the added bonus features and book included for this package, I consider the Criterion release to be the DEFINITIVE home theater presentation of this movie until Sony makes this available in TRUE 4k for home screens... :thumbs-up-smiley:

• Mark Walker and KPmusmag like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users