Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Scanners (Dual Format)

Criterion BD/DVD Press Release

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 10:34 PM

scanfront.jpg

scanback.jpg

SCANNERS (DUAL-FORMAT 1-BLU-RAY AND 2-DVD EDITION)

With Scanners, David Cronenberg (Videodrome) plunges us into one of his most terrifying and thrilling sci-fi worlds. After a man with extraordinary—and frighteningly destructive—telepathic abilities is nabbed by agents from a mysterious rogue corporation, he discovers he is far from the only possessor of such strange powers, and that some of the other “scanners” have their minds set on world domination, while others are trying to stop them. A trademark Cronenberg combination of the visceral and the cerebral, this phenomenally gruesome and provocative film about the expanses and limits of the human brain was the Canadian director’s breakout hit in the United States.

1981 • 103 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.78:1 aspect ratio

DIRECTOR-APPROVED DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES 

• New, restored 2K digital film transfer, supervised by director David Cronenberg, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray 

• The “Scanners” Way, a new documentary on the film’s special effects

• New interview with actor Michael Ironside

• The Ephemerol Diaries, a 2012 interview with actor and artist Stephen Lack

• Excerpt from a 1981 interview with Cronenberg on the CBC’s The Bob McLean Show

• Stereo (1969), Cronenberg’s first feature film

• Trailer

• One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats

• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kim Newman

TITLE: SCANNERS (DUAL-FORMAT 1-BLU-RAY AND 2-DVD EDITION)                   

CAT. NO: CC2358BDDVD

UPC: 7-15515-11691-6

ISBN: 978-1-60465-840-8

SRP: $39.95                     

PREBOOK: 6/17/14

STREET: 7/15/14

TITLE: SCANNERS (2-DVD EDITION)

CAT. NO. CC2378DDVD

UPC 7-15515-12001-2

ISBN 978-1-60465-867-5

SRP $29.95

PREBOOK 6/17/14

STREET 7/15/14 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted April 15 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:00 AM

Scanners.jpg

Funky cover art...I'll be picking this one up for sure.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 06:51 AM

Was hoping for a Cronneberg commentary considering the hell he went through to make this movie. Oh well...

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 07:41 AM

I like this movie but the price is too much.  I was really hoping for a Scanners / Videodrome $15 double feature rather than a Criterion collection release.

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,134 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 07:57 AM

I like this movie but the price is too much.  I was really hoping for a Scanners / Videodrome $15 double feature rather than a Criterion collection release.

And who would put out that double bill? Universal? With Janus having the rights to SCANNERS and THE BROOD, that was never going to happen.

I'm surprised we didn't get SCANNERS and THE BROOD together either as a two-for a la Soderbergh's KING OF THE HILL or two separate releases in the same month. Not sure who has the current rights to RABID or SHIVERS (THEY CAME FROM WITHIN) either -- there was chatter about a Criterion Cronenberg box set, but that was likely wishful thinking. 

Very excited about this release and digging the crazy cover art. 

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:39 AM

Lionsgate owns Shivers. Don't know who has Rabid.

#8 of 23 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,322 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 16 2014 - 08:45 AM

Was hoping for a Cronneberg commentary...

Me too but Criterion has definitely moved away from commentaries lately. To the point that I just assume any new Criterion release will not have one.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted April 16 2014 - 10:25 AM

I already have the Region B steelbook but will still pick this up. My region-free player has always been fussy - it's no fun having to manually switch region codes every time I pop a disc in. Sometimes it won't even work after a few tries. My enthusiasm level for this release is diminished somewhat by that earlier release, which is terrific by the way.

RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos. 

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,253 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 10:58 AM

I like this movie but the price is too much..

Just hang on until the annual July 50% off sale at Barnes and Noble.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 11:52 AM

Just hang on until the annual July 50% off sale at Barnes and Noble.

Scanners is a $15 or less movie to me so even 50% off isn't going to cut it.  I'm trying to be really frugal with my money (really just cheap) when it comes to buying movies so I do miss out on many movies I would like to watch / own but there are just so many to choose from that I like and are very inexpensive that I can easily let the costlier ones pass by.  Apparently I am easily entertained but not a connoisseur.  My frugality also hasn't stopped me from building quite a collection despite actively trying not to, much to the chagrin of my wife.  It is hard to pass up movies that I like when they go on sale for $5-$8.

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 12:00 PM

Haven't seen this but it looks good.  I'm also a sucker for early 80s Sci-fi.

Scanners is a $15 or less movie to me so even 50% off isn't going to cut it.

If you have a local B&N nearby you can shave some extra dollars by stacking an additional coupon to the sale.  That's about as cheap as it's going to get barring 2nd hand used prices a year or two down the line.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,227 posts

Posted April 16 2014 - 12:04 PM

"Scanners is a $15 or less movie.."

Are you saying that Criterion should set the price based on the "importance" and "quality" of the films itself? How will that work?

To me it's about the package: Film, A/V quality and extras. Usually Criterion delivers. It's a bit sad that there's no new interview or audio commentary by Cronenberg, but extras are still pretty good. If "Stereo" is also remastered and in HD, I would say very good (I already have it on DVD).
  • Mark Cappelletty likes this

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 17 2014 - 10:04 AM

I think he's saying that this movie is worth $15 or less to him. In fact, those were his exact words.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 11:35 AM

Well then I'm sure he'll be satisfied with his MGM copy that's horribly squished and has an encoding glitch that skips the entire second half of the movie.

...because that's what I got for FIVE bucks at Big Lots! a couple years ago.

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 12:57 PM

Well then I'm sure he'll be satisfied with his MGM copy that's horribly squished and has an encoding glitch that skips the entire second half of the movie.

...because that's what I got for FIVE bucks at Big Lots! a couple years ago.

So you are saying that the 4K remastered version of Robocop I just bought today is total crap because it only cost $5 or should be crap because I willingly paid only $5?  Apparently unless you pay big bucks for a movie, you aren't worthy or capable of appreciating a high quality version.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 03:51 PM

Classic campy Cronenberg by Criterion? Crikey! :)

Ordered using the link!

---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted April 17 2014 - 11:37 PM

I picked up the Criterion DVDs of Videodrome and Naked Lunch during the best sale I've ever seen -- $15 each. I really wish I could upgrade to blu-ray for that.

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,156 posts

Posted April 20 2014 - 12:59 AM

I'm wondering which trailer they will include - there was a short green-band teaser with clips from the film, and a longer red-band version which was essentially just the classic scene of the bald guy pulling a scanner from the room and getting, as Big Jim and Billy Sol on SCTV would say, "his head blow'd up real good". I'd love to have both.

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted April 20 2014 - 06:20 AM

Waiting for the bunch that will say that there's a lip-sync problem with the BD.
  • schan1269 likes this
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion, BD/DVD Press Release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users