• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 of 144 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted May 07 2014 - 09:32 AM

LOVED the plot twist back to the film! LOL. And BBT's performance tonight as the minister was priceless. Another great ep.

His prediction and fulfillment were fantastic.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#42 of 144 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,989 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted May 07 2014 - 03:55 PM

Was this the first episode with "Previously"-ies, or had I just somehow missed the "Erstwhile on Fargo" before?

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#43 of 144 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,238 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted May 07 2014 - 04:10 PM

Was this the first episode with "Previously"-ies, or had I just somehow missed the "Erstwhile on Fargo" before?

Nope, this was the first one.

#44 of 144 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,989 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 05:44 PM

Thanks, was thinking that too. ;)

I know there's been a lot of discussion about how to feel about the characters and their actions, but amazingly, I still feel sorry for Lester. I don't know why. He beat his wife to death with a hammer. When the two smiling hit-men joined him the jail cell at the end, I could only think, "Poor bastard."

I did not feel that way about Jerry Lundegaard. Every time I watch that movie, I can't wait for that weasel to get taken down.

What Lester does on the TV series is ostensibly way worse, but I think the thing about Jerry is that he's such a putz, which in the movies is more damning than anything, as far as repelling audience-sympathy. Brilliant performance by Macy, though.

I think it's because Lester's been such a pathetic pushover his entire life. It's terrible that he's decided to take his stand by brutally killing his wife, so he's certainly no innocent. But you can also see that he's had a pretty crappy life up to this point, as well.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#45 of 144 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,989 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 05:49 PM

Also...The Fargoverse™:

fargo_money.jpg

http://badassdigest....as-outstanding/

I know I had a big smile when I saw the scraper.

(Also-Also: Key and Peele are gonna be on the show soon??!?)

#46 of 144 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,139 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 07 2014 - 08:06 PM

Seems as if Malvo is inflicting Stavros with biblical plagues. Blood, locusts... That doesn't really bode well for his first-born.

• JohnMor likes this

#47 of 144 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,238 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:44 PM

Thanks, was thinking that too. ;)

I know there's been a lot of discussion about how to feel about the characters and their actions, but amazingly, I still feel sorry for Lester. I don't know why. He beat his wife to death with a hammer. When the two smiling hit-men joined him the jail cell at the end, I could only think, "Poor bastard."

I did not feel that way about Jerry Lundegaard. Every time I watch that movie, I can't wait for that weasel to get taken down.

What Lester does on the TV series is ostensibly way worse, but I think the thing about Jerry is that he's such a putz, which in the movies is more damning than anything, as far as repelling audience-sympathy. Brilliant performance by Macy, though.

I think it's because Lester's been such a pathetic pushover his entire life. It's terrible that he's decided to take his stand by brutally killing his wife, so he's certainly no innocent. But you can also see that he's had a pretty crappy life up to this point, as well.

I'm with you.  I thought they made a point of showing how loving and supportive Jerry Lundegaard's wife was, while Lester's was the polar opposite (not that she "deserved" to be murdered). But Lester was a bit more pushed to the extreme over time while Jerry was just a scumbag, pure and simple.  I don't feel that sorry for Lester because he's just so dumb, but I know what you're saying.  And certainly compared to Jerry...

#48 of 144 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,238 posts

Posted May 07 2014 - 10:45 PM

Seems as if Malvo is inflicting Stavros with biblical plagues. Blood, locusts... That doesn't really bode well for his first-born.

I can't believe that hadn't even occurred to me!  You're are so right! :(

#49 of 144 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,653 posts

Posted May 08 2014 - 12:25 AM

Once I heard the crickets chirping in the vehicle, the notion of visiting the Biblical plagues on Stavros instantly clicked.  When Malvo first meets Stavros he inquires about his religious beliefs.  At the time in that episode it felt like incidental dialog, just so much small talk.  

BTW, from a google search, a list of the plagues:

1. Water to Blood

2. Frogs

3. Lice

4. Flies

5. Diseased Livestock

6. Boils (a skin disease)

7. Storm of Hail

8. Locusts

9. Darkness for three days.

10. Death of the firstborn.

Based on that list, I don't think the show will attempt a literal recreation, but more stuff is coming and yes it doesn't look promising for Stavros' son. 

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#50 of 144 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,139 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted May 08 2014 - 02:45 AM

The dead dog may count as the "livestock."

#51 of 144 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,989 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 04:46 AM

Lester's Macbethand is bothering me while I try to appreciate this wonderful show. When he was hospitalized and unconscious, nobody noticed the hole in his hand?

Could he be hallucinating the hand-injury? 'Cause yeah, I never thought about it before, but it totally doesn't make sense that that wound wouldn't have been noticed and tended to.

#52 of 144 Quentin

Quentin

Screenwriter

• 2,492 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted May 09 2014 - 07:37 AM

Lester's Macbethand is bothering me while I try to appreciate this wonderful show. When he was hospitalized and unconscious, nobody noticed the hole in his hand?

Could he be hallucinating the hand-injury? 'Cause yeah, I never thought about it before, but it totally doesn't make sense that that wound wouldn't have been noticed and tended to.

It had been bandaged in the hospital...but, yeah, I find it hard to swallow they wouldn't remove the pellet.

I think you may be on to something with the hallucination.

#53 of 144 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,238 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 08:48 AM

I never thought about him hallucinating it.  Very interesting.  Because it has bothered me that it wasn't taken care of in the hospital.  

#54 of 144 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,139 posts

Posted May 09 2014 - 06:27 PM

Only into episode two, but this is certainly an odd, yet enjoyable show.

I just wish the female lead had the goofy accent like Frances McDormand pulled off. Other than that, it's a lot of fun, in a very bizarre way.

Stan

#55 of 144 Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted May 12 2014 - 03:20 PM

I didnt think I would get into this show at all.  I almost had the part of Sam Hess and was disappointed in not getting it.

I watched the first episode just to see who they cast and how he handled the part.  Normally, I find it very clear as to why they cast someone over me, but not this time.  :)

Otherwise, it was a lot of fun to watch the episode as I had read the script quite a while ago.  Now I can say I really enjoy the series.  Maybe I will land a role next season! :)

• joshEH likes this
Scott A. McGillivray
Vancouver, B.C.

Struggling Actor and Movie Nut!
(Check out my profile on IMDB!)http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1425496/

#56 of 144 joshEH

joshEH

Screenwriter

• 2,989 posts

Posted May 14 2014 - 07:31 AM

I don't know if this show could get any better.

Last night's episode was incredible. The scene alone with Lester trying to haggle for the socks was gold, but then we get the slow-motion shotgun/festering wound-shot. Man. I watched that 10 times....partly because I'm disturbed.

Once I heard the crickets chirping in the vehicle, the notion of visiting the Biblical plagues on Stavros instantly clicked.  When Malvo first meets Stavros he inquires about his religious beliefs.  At the time in that episode it felt like incidental dialog, just so much small talk.  

[...]

Based on that list, I don't think the show will attempt a literal recreation, but more stuff is coming and yes it doesn't look promising for Stavros' son.

I was really glad that Stavros's son (who may not be so dim after all) mentioned the pet store cricket buy-out, because surely one of those stores would have put two-and-two together after hearing about it in the news. So Malvo has clueless Clumph pretty well indicted and locked away, ready to take the fall.

And they didn't drag out Lester's wound very long, either. I can't wait to see where all this goes.

#57 of 144 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,238 posts

Posted May 14 2014 - 09:41 AM

And I loved the darker tone of the ep.  It was perfect.  Plus, I loved the nods to both O Brother, Where Art Thou? and A Serious Man.  Another great ep.

But I still don't get why Lester's hand wasn't treated when he was in the hospital the first time. 

#58 of 144 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted May 14 2014 - 10:11 AM

But I still don't get why Lester's hand wasn't treated when he was in the hospital the first time. 

I think this episode made it pretty clear they did treat it, but it got infected.  They just missed that the shell was still in the hand, which I guess makes sense considering they didn't know a shotgun was involved in the injury.  And he probably lied about what caused it.

#59 of 144 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 08:00 PM

Uh...whoa.

#60 of 144 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,238 posts

Posted May 20 2014 - 10:45 PM

Some good stuff, but it started to lose me slightly for the first time.  

Spoiler

And IMO Lester has now joined Jerry Lundergaard as a complete unredeemable SOB. LOL.  I used to feel sorry for him, but now I see that his wife and brother were right about him.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users