What's new

ST:TNG Season 6 price increase (1 Viewer)

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
Hi!

I'm sorry if this subject is already being discussed, but the search engine didn't reveal anything. If there's another thread, just point me to it.

Anyway, though I'm happy to see that Season 6 of Star Trek: The Next Generation has finally been announced, I'm kind of confused and disappointed to see that the Amazon price has increased by about $35 over the previous seasons.

Is this normal? Is this a case of a studio saying, "well if they've stuck with us this long, at this point they'll pay anything!"?

I'm enjoying having the show on blu, and I certainly appreciate all the restoration work that's been done, but... does anyone know where this extra $35 is going, exactly?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The Star Trek Seasons have always been expensive... When they first came out, here in Canada at least, they were going for $120. Im not surprised to see that the Blu Rays are $$$.

ijthompson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jordan
I'm in Canada too, and I paid $80-90 for each season, on release date, for both TOS and TNG... at both Amazon and Future Shop.

$120, suddenly? That's a bit harsh!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did a little research.

The list price for Season 1 was $118.

The list price for Seasons 2 - 6 is $129.

Amazon's current policy is to have a pretty nice discount when the title first goes on sale for pre-order, and then after a couple of weeks list for just under List Price. Once it becomes available, the price becomes more 'reasonable', and subject to sales.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I think what's happened in the past is that when the release dates rolled around, Target put the sets on sale for $59. Amazon then matched Target's price.

In general for big releases, you won't know Amazon's final release-week price until Best Buy & Target have released their sales flyers for the week. At that point they'll match if they need to.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere yet, but looks like the set has been delayed from beginning of June til end of June -- obviously not the end of the world, but I'm ready for this to be in my hands now! :)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't have much to add aside from what everyone has already mentioned.

The history with most releases has been a price match the week of release. Right now, Enterprise S4 (due on Tuesday) is $74.96 on Amazon. I'm sure I preordered it with a much higher price. And I'm expecting the price to drop to $59.99 by the end of Tuesday, netting me a roughly $15 refund.

The same has happened with every season of TNG on Blu (and the recut two part "movies"). In fact, I preordered TNG S6 at $90.99 and my invoice still mentions that price.

The lesson I learned early on: preorder the minute the listing appears and wait for the prices to drop. And don't worry about it.

UniversalPhan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan Winters
I don't know what the big deal is about price. Amazon, as a retailer, adjusts its prices on its merchandise, according to their costs. If their operating costs increase, they are going to increase the costs on their merchandise. They are a business. The prices for DVD and Blu-ray sets has always remained consistant, it's the retailers changing those prices. Amazon has seen its costs increase so they pass those costs on to their customers.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm waiting for the series to be totally released and out for awhile before I pick up seasons 4-6, My target price is around $30 a season

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, as we've been discussing on the Enterprise Season 4 thread, Amazon this time didn't match the Best Buy $59.99 price for that set. Could be it's not a big seller for Amazon, as Star Trek TNG winds down the last two seasons, it will be interesting if history repeats and the price does drop, or if like Enterprise, there is no match. I'm not counting on it anymore. The last two seasons of TNG while mostly good, had some uneven episodes. So perhaps the demand won't be there. I'll be buying them for sure.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, we'll know for sure the Thursday or Friday before release. The ads get leaked early and we can make decisions about where to buy once those are out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks