Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Sabrina -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray Paramount Warner A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,323 posts

Posted April 14 2014 - 09:57 PM

Being released day and date with Funny Face,  is another Audrey Hepburn project, Sabrina.  Shot 1.37 and projected cropped as widescreen, this delightful black & white production, makes a sterling entrance to Blu in WB new release.

Apparently negative cut as single strand, dupes for fades, dissolves, titles, etc. are in evidence, but once one gets out of those the quality is extremely pleasing.

With Humphrey Bogart, and William Holden also in leading roles, this is a Blu that should be high on the lists of completists, as it serves multiple purposes.

Very nice gray scale, with rich blacks, Sabrina works beautifully on Blu, and I'm finally pleased to make its acquaintance at 1.85.

One of the great film of the '50s, based upon the play Sabrina Fair (1953) by Samuel Taylor, who also worked on some interesting screenplays.

Great film.  Very nice Blu.  And a steal at its street price.

Image - 4.25

Highly Recommended.

RAH

• lukejosephchung likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 10 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,431 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 14 2014 - 10:03 PM

The UK/Australian/European Blu releases are all in the 1:33 ratio... I think I need to double-dip... 

• Steen DK likes this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#3 of 10 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,175 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 14 2014 - 10:05 PM

The UK/Australian/European Blu releases are all in the 1:33 ratio... I think I need to double-dip... 

I did because I never seen this film in its widescreen format.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 10 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,283 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted April 17 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'm happy to see this film on Blu-ray, if only because it may get us closer to finally seeing Roman Holiday.

Or am I being too hopeful?

• FoxyMulder likes this
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#5 of 10 Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted April 27 2014 - 02:13 AM

I compared the US version with the international (European) 4:3 version. It's not just the aspect ratio that is different. The US version has a film look with no grain reduction and sharpening and looks darker and less contrast boosted. The 4:3 version is brighter, grain reduced and sharpened and has a digital video look (not extreme but quite obvious compared to the US version). If you prefer the original film look the US version is the preferred one.

• Steen DK likes this

#6 of 10 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 806 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted June 10 2014 - 12:49 PM

The death of Martha Hyer has been announced.

#7 of 10 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,553 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 10 2014 - 01:21 PM

Yep, May 31st.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 10 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted June 10 2014 - 09:08 PM

Oh, I am sorry.

I always admired Martha Hyer both for her acting and the way she conducted herself. She was particularly good at playing well-bred women with normal human frailties, for example in Mister Cory and Houseboat.  

She wrote a slim autobiography, Finding My Way, which is well worth reading.

#9 of 10 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted June 22 2014 - 03:41 AM

I compared the US version with the international (European) 4:3 version. It's not just the aspect ratio that is different. The US version has a film look with no grain reduction and sharpening and looks darker and less contrast boosted. The 4:3 version is brighter, grain reduced and sharpened and has a digital video look (not extreme but quite obvious compared to the US version). If you prefer the original film look the US version is the preferred one.

I was just about to buy the UK edition when I happened upon these. Thank you both.

#10 of 10 Steen DK

Steen DK

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted June 22 2014 - 03:42 AM

(And then I ordered the US one, of course.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Paramount, Warner, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users