What's new

bluray sound (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
Can someone tell me what is wrong with the sound on blurays and dvds ?

OK , I have a TV with no speakers and if I watch a movie on a local station channel ,
the sound is generally fine . I can hear the voices fine and I don't have to turn up the
volume too much .

But if I play a Bluray on my Bluray player , I just can't hear the dialogue very well
and I have to turn up the volume very high ; but if the music or action turns up
it becomes a very unpleasant loud explosion and I have to turn the volume
down .

I also have another TV where I use a Denon amplifier , two small speakers and
one center speaker . Same thing through the Bluray .
Sound is terrible ; can't hear the dialogue well . I tried turning the volume up
on the center speaker and seems to help only a little .

I've had a different Bluray player and same thing on that one .

So what is going on here ? Do I need more speakers ? Will that work ?
I just can't enjoy watching movies because the sound quality
is terrible . Anybody else with this problem ?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hi Alex! Welcome to the Forum! I'm sure there are people who can explain this better than me, but let me take a try...

Blu-rays have audio which feature what's called a very wide "dynamic range", meaning, they have a huge range between what the softest possible sound an audio track can have and the loudest possible sound it can have. The idea is to present the audio as close as possible to what's in theaters.

There are a couple things you might be able to try doing. Your Blu-ray player probably has a "dynamic range" adjustment in the settings or audio menu, and you should experiment with the options there. Most players have settings that can normalize the volume to a certain extent, so that the quiet things aren't played quite as soft and the loudest things don't come out quite so blasting. Your receiver also may have similar settings that are worth playing around with. Not all of us have giant home theater setups (or even if you do, you still might not want that much of a variation between the loudest and softest points). You can use these settings to bridge the gap between what sounds perfect in a theater to what's ideal for your system and setup. (Of course, you can always choose to upgrade to a 5.1 surround system if you want... but strictly speaking, you shouldn't need to have a surround system to get a pleasant experience. Your discs shouldn't be unwatchable or unlistenable, and hopefully some playing around with the settings will get you where you want to be.)

Another option worth checking for some titles: most discs will default to the surround track on the disc, usually a 5.1 (sometimes 7.1) track in either Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio HD. Those are the tracks that have the widest dynamic ranges. But some discs also include a 2.0 stereo track (or for older titles, a mono track), that have a narrower dynamic range. If you go into the movie's setup menu, check which audio options are available. If there's a stereo or mono track, you might find it more to your liking. When I watch a movie using my TV speakers, I often will do that myself.

None of this is an issue when you're watching local TV programming, because there's a much narrower range that the audio is in. I suspect that's why you haven't experienced the same issue when watching movies through TV broadcasts.

edit: Also wondering what connections you're using for the Blu-ray player into your receiver. HDMI or something else?

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
schan1269 said:
Without knowing the equipment involved...
Well , really ? Then there is some problem with my hearing because I have had the same problem with two
different TVs and two different Bluray players .

I just don't get it .

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
Josh Steinberg said:
edit: Also wondering what connections you're using for the Blu-ray player into your receiver. HDMI or something else?
For the TV without speakers , HDMI direct to TV .

For the TV with receiver and speakers setup , it is HDMI direct to TV and optical cable from TV to receiver .

I will see if I can find the settings you mentioned but I am not optimistic .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really have to spell out what TVs and Bluray players they are ?
Alex:

Sam is right. The makes/models of your gear would be a big help for us to be able to help you out.

You don't HAVE to tell us, but it's in your best interest to do so.

There are a lot of people here who are willing to help. We just need to know what you're using.

Josh makes great points about the way Blu-ray audio is processed. A lot depends on how that information is received by the gear we are using.

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
OK , let's start with the TV with no speakers .

It is Sony BDP-BX510 3D Bluray player .
For the TV , all I have right now is Samsung 40 inch model no. LN408530P7FXZC .

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
Josh Steinberg said:
Hi Alex! Welcome to the Forum! I'm sure there are people who can explain this better than me, but let me take a try...

Blu-rays have audio which feature what's called a very wide "dynamic range", meaning, they have a huge range between what the softest possible sound an audio track can have and the loudest possible sound it can have. The idea is to present the audio as close as possible to what's in theaters.

There are a couple things you might be able to try doing. Your Blu-ray player probably has a "dynamic range" adjustment in the settings or audio menu, and you should experiment with the options there. Most players have settings that can normalize the volume to a certain extent, so that the quiet things aren't played quite as soft and the loudest things don't come out quite so blasting.
Here are the Audio settings I could find on the Bluray player . Any of these likely to have an effect ? :

Digital Audio Output : Auto or PCM
DSD Output Mode : On or Off
BD Audio Mix Setting : On or Off
DTS Neo:6 : On or Off
Audio DRC : Auto or On or Off
Downmix : Surround or Stereo

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
Wayne_j said:
With your issue you would want Audio DRC to be set to On.
OK , thanks . Looks like it stands for Dynamic Range Compression which is what the other fellow was mentioning .

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A few general comments based on the info provided.The TV using its own speakers, that is a problem you probably can't do a lot about since the setup doesn't have a center channel speaker. Dialog tends to be obscured using TV speakers on a surround sound source.The second system, first it is connected incorrectly. The hdmi should go to the receiver, then on to the TV, if the receiver has hdmi. If it doesn't, then the hdmi should go to the TV with a digital audio output directly to the receiver. Second, you might want to set dynamic compression on the receiver, but the channel levels probably aren't set correctly.

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
JohnRice said:
but the channel levels probably aren't set correctly.
Can you elaborate what you mean by this one ?

I did set the DCR setting on the bluray player ( for my no receiver system ) and it seems to help . Still a little higher volume for the voices
is needed but the action and music is not overwhelming as used to be so is much better .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bklwhatever said:
OK , let's start with the TV with no speakers .

It is Sony BDP-BX510 3D Bluray player .
For the TV , all I have right now is Samsung 40 inch model no. LN408530P7FXZC .
By the way...the area I highlighted and italics...to me says...

The TV, itself, has no speakers...ergo there must be an exterior source. Some of us use our phones, via the app, while working. We don't have time to search your TV. (and it is a B...not an 8, and the P7FXZC is irrelevent)

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
schan1269 said:
By the way...the area I highlighted and italics...to me says...

The TV, itself, has no speakers...ergo there must be an exterior source. Some of us use our phones, via the app, while working. We don't have time to search your TV. (and it is a B...not an 8, and the P7FXZC is irrelevent)
I meant no external speakers or receiver . The TV itself has speakers .

"We don't have time to search your TV." That's a shame . I was really counting on you searching that .

"and it is a B...not an 8, and the P7FXZC is irrelevent" So sorry .

BTW , "irrelevent" is spelled wrong .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To solve the issue with this particular TV...

I suggest a self-powered soundbar. I have, currently, 7 TVs and a projector. None of those are "on their own". Why?

TV audio....sucks.

I have 4 "theatres"(living room, actual theatre, office* and master bedroom).

The others all have a BA TVee25.

*set up specifically to the ITU standard originally for SACD/DVD-A.

bklwhatever

Auditioning
Real Name
alex
schan1269 said:
To solve the issue with this particular TV...

I suggest a self-powered soundbar. I have, currently, 7 TVs and a projector. None of those are "on their own". Why?

TV audio....sucks.
Good . I am glad you could be of help . Now I will go and buy a self-powered soundbar .
I have 4 "theatres"(living room, actual theatre, office* and master bedroom).

The others all have a BA TVee25.

*set up specifically to the ITU standard originally for SACD/DVD-A.
Very interesting but "irrelevent" .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
bklwhatever said:
Good . I am glad you could be of help . Now I will go and buy a self-powered soundbar .

Very interesting but "irrelevent" .
Not irrelevent...(your spelling...)

You asked how to solve the issue. There are numerous ways to solve the issue. Using a soundbar...are correctly using an AVR.

And you are the one who said....first...

"Let's start with the TV with no speakers"...then changed to...
"Let's start with the TV with no receiver"

IF you think those are the same statement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks