What's new

3D Sex and Adventure in 3D - Circa1954 - Where is it? (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Last night I stumbled across an enjoyable bit of sexy nonsense on TCM.

Watching the movie I noticed objects being catapulted towards the camera and lots of scenes which contained strategically placed furniture and other items dominating the foreground. ( not to mention many scantily dressed beautiful women placed to advantage)
The whole film seemed somewhat bizarre for a circa 1954 production.
I thought this has to have been shot with 3D in mind. But I certainly don't remember any references to indicate that.

After some quick research and acknowledging that it had been many years since I last saw it. I've discovered that it was indeed shot in 3D, ' FUTURE DIMENSION' no less.

It had a general release in most places in SUPERSCOPE.
It seems to have been left out of most 3D discussions here on the Forum.

But it now becomes near the top of my 3D want list.
The Film of course is "SON OF SINBAD" and I would love to have it on a 3D Blu-ray.

Bob, do you know anything about the condition and history of this Movie?

son of sinbad.jpg

( My sincere apologies if this Film has been discussed before - certainly my memory ain't what it was )

Doug.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
It seems it was made in 1953 and then shelved and never released in 3-D by RKO/Hughes. This is listed as Vincent Price's 4th & last 3-D film. Warners?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It began filming on May 11, 1953 and was originally planned for a November release. RKO prepared ad mats and issued a promotional View-Master reel.

Several suggestive dance numbers (including Lili St. Cyr stripping behind the main titles) caused problems with the censors so the film was put on the shelf. Hughes was fighting a battle over THE FRENCH LINE at the same time. It was announced for 3-D release a few times in 1954 but nothing happened.

When it finally went out in 1955, 3-D was dead so one side was adapted to Superscope. The compositions really suffered because the film had been composed for 1.37:1 and now it was being shown 2:1.

Both left/right negatives exist with Warner Bros. but have not been touched for nearly sixty years. It would require a great deal of work to prepare a 3-D master. We tried several times to create interest (including Hugh Hefner) but nobody cared. Sigh...

SOS000R.jpg

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Thanks for that Bob.

Sadly it looks like yet another memorable and enjoyable Movie doomed to the 3D Graveyard. :(

Love the viewmaster reel Bob, it must be really rare. Certainly, I've never seen it before.

Doug.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I agree, Doug. The RKO 3-D titles are very high quality. We've got a reel of dailies and the 3-D is excellent.

If you've got a spare $177.00, here's a reel for sale: http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/mpr-sos.html

There's some good information on the censor problems here:http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/3180/Son-of-Sinbad/notes.html

With all the beautiful women - and the issues with censorship - we thought for sure that Mr. Hefner would like to help restore it.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/18858/Son-of-Sinbad-Re-issue-Trailer-.html

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
That's a fascinating site Bob, I'll have to go back and have a longer read.

I had no idea that View-master reels were still around. They seem a bit antiquated and out of place in this generation of hi tech gadgets.
Of course there will always be 'big kids' about who love this stuff :rolleyes:

I've got to admit that exposing Sally Forrest's belly button was quite a daring and un-heard of thing back in the early 50s.
They're certainly a bit more liberal today. :huh:

If, as you say, the original negatives survive, then it could still be a remote possibility, though I certainly will not be holding my breath.

Doug.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bob, the first two links you gave are for the preview reel. At least that's how it worked for me.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Oops, sorry about that. I just fixed the link.

Despite what's been written, the film was not shown publicly in 1953. That info comes from a 3-D book that is riddled with errors.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
After reading the notes, I presume the only cut that would now be available, is the censored one? Sure would like to see Kim Novak's first film role.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Wow!
What a sensational two movie 3D blu-ray disc set.
"The French Line" doubled up with "Son Of Sinbad"

A Howard Hughes Sex Fest to really Wet your appetite.

Dream on Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks