What's new

International In love and War fox 1958 warning (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I am very frustrated. I like this film a lot.
Way back in the old days, it showed on Cinemax, full screen, but stereo.

much, much later it was on FXM, widescreen but mono.

Then Fox releases it here fulol screen(dont know if its stereo)

In frustration, I get the spanish widescreen disc, being assured by several sources it is stereo. I got it this week, and it too is mono, the same transfer used on FXM, sped up so the films running time is short.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
You got to watch some of those Spanish releases. I finally got my hands on my beloved TUTTLES OF TAHITI and it was a dreadful transfer with unremoveable Spanish subs!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It looks as if the only way we're ever going to have a good presentation of In Love And War on disc will be if Twilight Time can persuade Fox to do a restoration and HD transfer and then to allow Twilight Time to release a BRD.

I like the film too. I'd buy a BRD without hesitation.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Fox is concerned about making money which is okay as long as the product warrants the price. If I had to guess I would say Fox's DVD releases from their archives are old transfers made for VHS or Laserdisc. In Love and War was released on DVD in 4 x 3 probably the old pan'n scan. I purchased Sodom and Gomorrah on DVD and that is presented in full screen. I checked many of Fox's releases from their archives and found none to be formatted 16 x 9. $19.95 for an old 4 x 3 transfer on DVD-5 is a lot of money.

Twilight charges $34.95 a title which is expensive so the movie has to be one you really enjoy. To be honest Twilight's lineup is very weak for $34.95. Certainly I would purchase Love and War if Twilight released the title on Blu-ray. Lets face it there is a very small market for most of the old classic titles. Unless it is a John Wayne movie the studios know will sell well the studios can't afford to have the film transferred over again. That is why Twilight limits their inventory to 3000 copies. Even then they have hard time selling out. Twilight just had a "fire"s sale consisting of many titles released over a year ago they still had inventory for.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I have given up on Twilight time. It seemed they originally started to do rarer Fox films, including the once announced April Love. fox did some major restoration work last year on both April Love and the Best things in Life are Free. Neither are forthcoming from Twilight time.
The only recently announced TT fro the scope era is Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison (scope mono and not a mojor score) and Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation !!!! ( who cares?).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Ernest said:
I checked many of Fox's releases from their archives and found none to be formatted 16 x 9. .

Not quite true. Beneath The 12 Mile Reef, Marriage Go Round, Oh Men! Oh Women! and Holiday For Lovers to name just four are 16x9 anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks