What's new

A Few Words About While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I felt privileged this evening to attend the premiere of Fox's restoration of Oklahoma!, as supervised by Fox's Schawn Belston, at the Chinese, as the opening program of the TCM Festival.I've been aware that Oklahoma! was a huge archival challenge since I viewed a new 70mm print c. 1982. It wasn't pretty.Using every digital tool available to him, Mr. Belston has brought the film back from the brink of large format extinction.This evening's 4k high bit rate exhibition was an extraordinary treat for the eyes and ears.I know of what I speak, and Fox's determination to achieve a restoration that could take viewers back to 1955, has been met -- in spades.Once down-rezzed, as a major part of the R & H Collection...I'll cut to the chase. Oklahoma! alone will be worth the price of admission to the forthcoming Blu-ray set.Everything about this restoration is as spot on as humanly and technologically possible.In a word. Magnificent!My archival hat is off to Mr. Belston and his crew.RAH

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
I wish that I could have been at the Chinese Theater this evening, along with Robert Harris, to see the new restoration. But I'm sure I'll be happy with the next best thing, the blu-ray version.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thanks so much for the benefit of your expertise, Robert.
This is a release I've waited so so long for .. just as I waited so patiently for My Fair Lady.
At least this time we're being given what its makers deserved.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Slightly off topic - they're showing a 2K digital copy of AMOLAD tonight (UK tonight - Friday 11th) with Thelma Schoonmaker introducing.

Are you going, and if so can you ask, nag, bribe, takes hostages until, etc, etc, about news on a Blu-ray Disc release?

Many thanks.

Steve W

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
RAH, out of curiosity, which version of the movie was played, the 35mm or 70mm? Have both been restored?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
JoshZ said:
RAH, out of curiosity, which version of the movie was played, the 35mm or 70mm? Have both been restored?
Todd-AO. 30 fps.

And to further answer a query above, properly masked at 2.21:1 using the entire (huge) width of the Chinese screen.

RAH

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Fox had already restored the scope version of Oklahoma. We had had this version years ago on laserdisc with pale runny color and stereo sound with no high end.

The last dvd was a major improvement with nice, bright sound and sharp, lush color.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
EddieLarkin said:
How are they going to address the 30fps issue on Blu-ray? Remove six frames per second or interlace at 1080i60?
Some Blu-Ray authoring programs use "fake-interlacing" to get around it. Video is rendered at 1080p 30fps. But the "fake interlaced" flags in the stream tell the blu-ray player that the video is interlaced.

http://www.x264bluray.com/home/1080i-p

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Robert Harris said:
Todd-AO. 30 fps.

And to further answer a query above, properly masked at 2.21:1 using the entire (huge) width of the Chinese screen.

RAH
So, that would be about 90 by 40 ft.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Wow....wish I could have been at that screening. Thanks for the report Mr. Harris. Does anyone have any info about further screenings around the country..... I know this was mentioned in a number of the first press releases about this new 4k restoration.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
No doubt the occasion brought back many happy, yet sad memories to our Shirley.
Sad that other major cast members are no longer with us.
oklahoma! screening.jpg

( Shirley at the screening along with Merrie Spaeth)

Doug.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Robert Harris said:
"This evening's 4k high bit rate exhibition was an extraordinary treat for the eyes and ears.I know of what I speak, and Fox's determination to achieve a restoration that could take viewers back to 1955, has been met -- in spades.Everything about this restoration is as spot on as humanly and technologically possible.In a word. Magnificent!My archival hat is off to Mr. Belston and his crew.RAH"
I still remember seeing "Oklahoma" at the Rivoli when it first opened. It was the first time they used a new lowered projection booth to overcome some Todd/AO projection problems. They seemed to alternate using both booths for testing even after the film's opening. That said, if either "Oklahoma" or "The King and I" come even close to the spectacular look that "Oklahoma" had on the Rivoli's slightly curved screen and what appeared to me (a young "apprentice" at the time and still learning) as a "low grain print" and razor sharp even close up, I'll be thrilled to no end.

On top of that, they (Amazon) reduced the pre-order box set to $73.95 (apparently I must have hit the right day), so I would have to be punch drunk to consider cancelling this pre-order, despite owning the other films already, as some others have mentioned. I've only been waiting most of my life for "The King and I". While I already had a Technicolor print of "Oklahoma", I never had "The King and I" on film. Since on my equipment (JVC RS35 projector and ISCO anamorphic lens) Blu-rays look just about the same as a 35mm print on my 12 ft wide scope screen, only with BETTER SOUND than the theatre's ever had. I'm thrilled that these two films have FINALLY arrived (while there are STILL people alive that remember and can still appreciate them. :) :D ;)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Bambi Linn (Dream Laurey) is still with us, and Gemze de Lappe (one of the dancers) is too. Ms de Lappe has spent the bulk of her career as the 'keeper of the flame' of the "Oklahoma!" choreography, recreating it for revivals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks