Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

While we wait for A few words about...™ The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection -- in Blu-ray

Blu-ray Fox A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
837 replies to this topic

#1 of 838 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,321 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 11:17 PM

POPULAR

I felt privileged this evening to attend the premiere of Fox's restoration of Oklahoma!, as supervised by Fox's Schawn Belston, at the Chinese, as the opening program of the TCM Festival.

I've been aware that Oklahoma! was a huge archival challenge since I viewed a new 70mm print c. 1982. It wasn't pretty.

Using every digital tool available to him, Mr. Belston has brought the film back from the brink of large format extinction.

This evening's 4k high bit rate exhibition was an extraordinary treat for the eyes and ears.

I know of what I speak, and Fox's determination to achieve a restoration that could take viewers back to 1955, has been met -- in spades.

Once down-rezzed, as a major part of the R & H Collection...

I'll cut to the chase. Oklahoma! alone will be worth the price of admission to the forthcoming Blu-ray set.

Everything about this restoration is as spot on as humanly and technologically possible.

In a word. Magnificent!

My archival hat is off to Mr. Belston and his crew.

RAH

• Everett Stallings, Mark Walker, Reed Grele and 15 others like this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 838 cwilli

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted April 10 2014 - 11:40 PM

I wish that I could have been at the Chinese Theater this evening, along with Robert Harris, to see the new restoration.  But I'm sure I'll be happy with the next best thing, the blu-ray version.

• Everett Stallings and MatthewA like this

#3 of 838 AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted April 10 2014 - 11:54 PM

Thanks so much for the benefit of your expertise, Robert.

This is a release I've waited so so long for .. just as I waited so patiently for My Fair Lady.

At least this time we're being given what its makers deserved.

#4 of 838 Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 03:22 AM

How was it framed on the IMAX screen? Did they use masking? How large was the image? Wish I could've been there!

#5 of 838 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,229 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 04:00 AM

Slightly off topic - they're showing a 2K digital copy of AMOLAD tonight (UK tonight - Friday 11th) with Thelma Schoonmaker introducing.

Are you going, and if so can you ask, nag, bribe, takes hostages until, etc, etc, about news on a Blu-ray Disc release?

Many thanks.

Steve W

• Mark Walker likes this
Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#6 of 838 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,665 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 11 2014 - 04:00 AM

The anticipation to see what Blu-ray will give us with this classic is really exciting.

• Mark Walker likes this

#7 of 838 Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 05:17 AM

Excellent! Thank you, Robert! I'm VERY glad I preordered the set when it was priced at $80!

Mark
  • Everett Stallings likes this

#8 of 838 JoshZ

JoshZ

Second Unit

• 378 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:30 AM

RAH, out of curiosity, which version of the movie was played, the 35mm or 70mm? Have both been restored?

Writer / Blogmaster

High-Def Digest

#9 of 838 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,321 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 08:25 AM

RAH, out of curiosity, which version of the movie was played, the 35mm or 70mm? Have both been restored?

Todd-AO.  30 fps.

And to further answer a query above, properly masked at 2.21:1 using the entire (huge) width of the Chinese screen. 

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#10 of 838 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,076 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 11 2014 - 08:37 AM

POPULAR

Pardon me, I just drooled.

• Mark Booth, Will Krupp and ahollis like this

#11 of 838 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts
  • LocationHull, Yorkshire

Posted April 11 2014 - 08:53 AM

How are they going to address the 30fps issue on Blu-ray? Remove six frames per second or interlace at 1080i60?

#12 of 838 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 09:03 AM

I believe that Fox had already restored the scope version of Oklahoma.   We had had this version years ago on laserdisc with pale runny color and stereo sound with no high end.

The last dvd was a major improvement with nice, bright sound and sharp, lush color.

#13 of 838 revgen

revgen

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:21 AM

How are they going to address the 30fps issue on Blu-ray? Remove six frames per second or interlace at 1080i60?

Some Blu-Ray authoring programs use "fake-interlacing" to get around it. Video is rendered at 1080p 30fps. But the "fake interlaced" flags in the stream tell the blu-ray player that the video is interlaced.

http://www.x264bluray.com/home/1080i-p

#14 of 838 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,159 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:26 AM

Todd-AO.  30 fps.

And to further answer a query above, properly masked at 2.21:1 using the entire (huge) width of the Chinese screen. 

RAH

So, that would be about 90 by 40 ft.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#15 of 838 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts
  • LocationHull, Yorkshire

Posted April 11 2014 - 10:32 AM

Some Blu-Ray authoring programs use "fake-interlacing" to get around it. Video is rendered at 1080p 30fps. But the "fake interlaced" flags in the stream tell the blu-ray player that the video is interlaced.

http://www.x264bluray.com/home/1080i-p

Ah, I've heard about this yes. Very clever.

#16 of 838 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 286 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted April 11 2014 - 11:18 AM

Wow....wish I could have been at that screening.  Thanks for the report Mr. Harris.  Does anyone have any info about further screenings around the country..... I know this was mentioned in a number of the first press releases about this new 4k restoration. 

#17 of 838 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,176 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 01:50 PM

Really looking forward to "Oklahoma!".

Thanks for the "thumbs up" on the restoration!!
Joseph
---------------

#18 of 838 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,481 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted April 11 2014 - 11:10 PM

No doubt the occasion brought back many happy, yet sad memories to our Shirley.

Sad that other major cast members are no longer with us. 

oklahoma! screening.jpg

( Shirley at the screening along with Merrie Spaeth)

Doug.

• classicmovieguy and KPmusmag like this

#19 of 838 Techman707

Techman707

Second Unit

• 266 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 11:52 PM

POPULAR

"This evening's 4k high bit rate exhibition was an extraordinary treat for the eyes and ears.

I know of what I speak, and Fox's determination to achieve a restoration that could take viewers back to 1955, has been met -- in spades.

Everything about this restoration is as spot on as humanly and technologically possible.

In a word. Magnificent!

My archival hat is off to Mr. Belston and his crew.

RAH"

I still remember seeing "Oklahoma" at the Rivoli when it first opened.  It was the first time they used a new lowered projection booth to overcome some Todd/AO projection problems.  They seemed to alternate using both booths for testing even after the film's opening. That said, if either "Oklahoma" or "The King and I" come even close to the spectacular look that "Oklahoma" had on the Rivoli's slightly curved screen and what appeared to me (a young "apprentice" at the time and still learning) as a "low grain print" and razor sharp even close up, I'll be thrilled to no end. 

On top of that, they (Amazon) reduced the pre-order box set to $73.95 (apparently I must have hit the right day), so I would have to be punch drunk to consider cancelling this pre-order, despite owning the other films already, as some others have mentioned.  I've only been waiting most of my life for "The King and I".  While I already had a Technicolor print of "Oklahoma", I never had "The King and I" on film.  Since on my equipment (JVC RS35 projector and ISCO anamorphic lens) Blu-rays look just about the same as a 35mm print on my 12 ft wide scope screen, only with BETTER SOUND than the theatre's ever had.  I'm thrilled that these two films have FINALLY arrived (while there are STILL people alive that remember and can still appreciate them. :)  :D  ;)  

• Josh Steinberg, john a hunter and classicmovieguy like this

#20 of 838 classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,402 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 11 2014 - 11:57 PM

Bambi Linn (Dream Laurey) is still with us, and Gemze de Lappe (one of the dancers) is too.  Ms de Lappe has spent the bulk of her career as the 'keeper of the flame' of the "Oklahoma!" choreography, recreating it for revivals.  

• Dick and lukejosephchung like this

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray, Fox, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users