Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

CBS Press Release: Arthur Hailey's The Moneychangers

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,579 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:18 AM

3461.jpg

Money is power in the television adaptation of Arthur Hailey's bestselling book, The Moneychangers. The tale of corruption and greed in the banking business stars Christopher Plummer (A Beautiful Mind, The Sound Of Music) in his Emmy®-winning role as the suave, hypocritical and skilled Roscoe Heyward and Kirk Douglas (Spartacus, 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea) as the honest, hard-charging and focused Alex Vandervoort, both of whom are vying for the top position in one of the nation's largest banks.

DVD BASICS

• Street Date: May 20, 2014
  • Price: $19.99
  • Rating: Not Rated
  • Runtime: 5 hours, 20 minutes

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 08:42 AM

I looked this up, since I wasn't familiar with it--The Moneychangers is a miniseries from late 1976-early 1977.  It was an NBC "Big Event", if you remember those, produced by Ross Hunter (Producer of Airport and various Doris Day movies).  TV guide ad here:

Arthur_Hailey_s_the_Moneychangers_TV-454

• derosa likes this

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   RW001

RW001

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 06:05 PM

That must have been Jean Peters last role of any kind.    I'll be getting it!

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,285 posts

Posted April 11 2014 - 08:09 PM

Ditto here. :)

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#5 of 7 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,162 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 09:40 AM

I got it yesterday.   First, the picture hasn't been remastered and looks very dark and muddy.    It may even come from 16mm elements since speckles of the kind you'd see when watching a film on a projection screen abound.   My understanding is the last time this played on cable in the late 80s, A+E hacked it down to a four hour time slot.

As for the plot, it's a mixture of soap and intrigue with far too much of the former.     Plummer turns in a troubled performance as the less noble of the two bank VP's  that won him an Emmy but I found myself repelled by the smug arrogance of the film's heroes, Kirk Douglas and his mistress, crusading lawyer Susan Flannery (I will never understand how she got a big part in this.   A leading lady she isn't).   This film also likely gives us the first ever TV depiction of what a gang of male prisoners do to a timid newcomer in the cell block in the shower.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,285 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 03:45 PM

I got my copy and am satisfied with it. I give it a 9.5. (Bear in mind there is NEVER a 10! :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,417 :biggrin: ( 757 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,424  :biggrin: Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,285 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 08:59 PM

The Scandel that rocks the Bank when a Multi-Billion Dollar Company falls apart Is almost exactly what happened to ENRON 25 or so years earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users