-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Questions from a guy who blew through his budget on new home

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 of 27 Wingfan13

Wingfan13

Auditioning

• 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:36 AM

It might be possible to move the screen a little forward of the window since it's over 19 feet long, can i ask what you value in picture quality, will you be calibrating the projector, do you like inky blacks or can you live with good blacks and good 3D, indeed is 3D important, do you want a projector that perhaps is good at most things, if it's the latter then i'd consider the Sony HW55 projector, a good all rounder.  If 3D is extremely important then it's gotta be a DLP but you do sacrifice some black levels.

I dont know that I would ever use 3D.  I dont know anything about calibrating a projector either.  As far as blacks go, good is fine.  I just want to make sure that fast moving pictures dont blur.  I watch a lot of hockey, football and play some video games.  I hope that helps and thanks for the assistance.

#22 of 27 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,305 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:50 AM

Then you want DLP (hip, hip hooray).

You also, with AT, are not concerned with where to put the speakers...as they are BEHIND the screen...

Even If your right and left are out wide...depending on the screen, blackout...etc

The edge of the screen can be down the middle of the speakers.

Another thought...extra expense...

Build another wall, leave the window alone...and make the screen...your wall. The bonus?

Your peripherals would be in the room created.

#23 of 27 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,521 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:50 AM

I dont know that I would ever use 3D.  I dont know anything about calibrating a projector either.  As far as blacks go, good is fine.  I just want to make sure that fast moving pictures dont blur.  I watch a lot of hockey, football and play some video games.  I hope that helps and thanks for the assistance.

I'd recommend the Sony HW55 then, it has excellent motion interpolation for watching sports, you switch that off when watching movies otherwise it'll be a soap opera effect, if you ever play videogames then the Sony is one of the best with a low lag time of only 26ms, you should really buy the Spears and Munsil 2nd edition blu ray disc, do a manual quick calibration, it won't be perfect but you will be able to get the contrast, brightness, basic colours and sharpness all set up correctly, it even has options for getting these things correct in 3D.

You could go DLP but i think the latest projectors such as the Benq W7500 are poor with their lag times ( for some strange reason, they shouldn't be but they are ) and since you don't want 3D i think the Sony is a better option for you.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 of 27 Wingfan13

Wingfan13

Auditioning

• 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted April 14 2014 - 07:52 AM

I'd recommend the Sony HW55 then, it has excellent motion interpolation for watching sports, you switch that off when watching movies otherwise it'll be a soap opera effect, if you ever play videogames then the Sony is one of the best with a low lag time of only 26ms, you should really buy the Spears and Munsil 2nd edition blu ray disc, do a manual quick calibration, it won't be perfect but you will be able to get the contrast, brightness, basic colours and sharpness all set up correctly, it even has options for getting these things correct in 3D.

You could go DLP but i think the latest projectors such as the Benq W7500 are poor with their lag times ( for some strange reason, they shouldn't be but they are ) and since you don't want 3D i think the Sony is a better option for you.

Is this an older model ?  It seems to be around $4K which is more than I want to spend but I am willing to go for it.   I cant seem to find it anywhere.  Has this been phased out and if so is there a new model ?

Is this a good one ?  http://www.bestbuy.c...50018&cp=1&lp=1

Thanks again for the help

#25 of 27 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,521 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 14 2014 - 08:36 AM

Is this an older model ?  It seems to be around $4K which is more than I want to spend but I am willing to go for it.   I cant seem to find it anywhere.  Has this been phased out and if so is there a new model ?

Is this a good one ?  http://www.bestbuy.c...50018&cp=1&lp=1

Thanks again for the help

That's an older model, the new one is the HW55 and is available for just over $3000.  Check some ratings and reviews for the different stores.  Find out if they are authorized Sony dealers, it makes the warranty better for you.

It might be worth doing a search and finding the best price for a Sony HW50 model, that's last years model and is identical in many ways to the HW55, the 55 model has some minor improvements in contrast and with the reality creation mode and i think it also has some other minor improvements related to 3D.

There are not many projector models, none that i can instantly think of that give great image quality, that provide low lag and since you want to do some gaming i think 16ms lag for the Sony HW50 and 26ms for the HW55 is very good.

You can find a used Sony HW50 for $1899 on Amazon, check carefully for retailer reviews though.

http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=new

http://www.amazon.co...#productDetails

There is also a brand new model, details below, it may be a good buy, reviews will be coming within the month, i think it ditches the dynamic iris, it should still have good native black levels, might be worth waiting since it's $1999 brand new.

http://www.amazon.co...PKBDAABBGFPQ2PC

• Wingfan13 likes this

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#26 of 27 Wingfan13

Wingfan13

Auditioning

• 12 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted April 14 2014 - 08:46 AM

That's an older model, the new one is the HW55 and is available for just over $3000.  Check some ratings and reviews for the different stores.  Find out if they are authorized Sony dealers, it makes the warranty better for you.

http://www.amazon.co...8&condition=new

I am worried about ordering from those stores not being authorized Sony dealers because Sony will not provide any warranty.  I will keep digging.

Thanks

#27 of 27 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,521 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 14 2014 - 09:00 AM

I am worried about ordering from those stores not being authorized Sony dealers because Sony will not provide any warranty.  I will keep digging.

Thanks

I added to my post, there is a new model, just out, i expect reviews to be cropping up soon, it looks like it could be a bargain.

Also remember i'm just using Amazon to link to these models, i'm sure authorized retailers are out there and may have good prices available to you, might also be worth phoning a few and haggling over the price.

I'm not used to the USA warranty, here in Europe/UK we can just buy from anywhere knowing we are covered by a guarantee that the retailer has to cover on the first hand since the shop selling to you must deal with the issues and not Sony.

• Wingfan13 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users