What's new

Upgrading for htib. (1 Viewer)

silver bullet

Auditioning
Real Name
adam
I have a in on Harmon products.Looking at either the hkts 15 or 18.or the jbl 610 or 510. Small room 13*16.Will be using a Harmon receiver.Please let me know your thoughts. I want really nice sound for theater and music as I like to jam while working around the house and don't care if the neighborhood hears it lol.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I didn't look up the other specs for the subs, but all things being equal, an 8" sub is not going to properly fill a 13x18 room.

I had a small JBL satellite/sub set for a small 13x14 room (8" sub) and while it was okay, it wasn't good. On the other hand, I still have an H/K satellite system in my main theater room (14x22, 10" sub), and it moves all the way up to decent. It can't do justice to music, but it works for movies. (That said, I'm swapping it out as soon as I get the funds.) I'm sure my models are not the models you're looking at, but I though it was an interesting coincidence.

silver bullet

Auditioning
Real Name
adam
Price.Hkts 15 $300Jbl 610 $225What's going to sound better.But if it's not gonna sou d good I don't want it.

silver bullet

Auditioning
Real Name
adam
Ok so how about:2- es802- es301- es250Would I need a center channel and is so what could I use from the jbl site?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
For extra couple bucks would it be beneficial to get 2 es80's instead of the 30's for the rears?
For movies, in my opinion, no, since surround effects don't require that kind of punch.

For music, yes, if you think you'll be listening in all channel stereo mode. (Which I happen to use a lot for music.)

Of course, if you have the money and the room it can never hurt to get more speaker.

Oh, and they 4th and 5th speakers should be placed on the side, not the rear.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes there are movies that have tons of rear information.Those that don't know otherwise...don't know what they are missing...The Guillotines*Curious Case of Benjamin ButtonMaster and Commander(has rear surround mixed down into 25hz)Underworld: Awakening LOTR(inclusive)The HobbitImmortal Beloved(by itself, worthy of enormous speakers. Has deep bass down around 16hz in the rear channel...if your speakers, let alone your sub, have enough balls ) That short list is movies where there is no speaker "too big" for the surround channels.* there is a sequence where, if you have the speakers to pull it off, bombing starts off far away...gets closer...closer...then you are in the middle of it. An 80hz crossover with bookshelf speakers ruins it. 6 full size speakers able to reach into the 30s is a totally different ball game.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yes there are movies that have tons of rear information.Those that don't know otherwise...don't know what they are missing...
I believe you, I should have said, "... don't usually require that much punch", but I just don't feel there are enough movies that push the surrounds to warrant the added expense. Usually it's just location effects. I'm guessing maybe 10% of films push the surrounds; what's your estimate?

But I did say that if you have the money and room, more is always better. However in general, I'd rather save the money or move up in the front three.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I will always err to closely matching the 4/6. Match the center, always, with in-walls or AT.However, some people will buy a speaker large enough to sit their TV on.Remember...The klipsch LaScala, originally, was the center speaker for Klipschorn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks