Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

WHV Press Release: Tennessee Williams, Esther Williams and Classic Moms

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,622 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 05:24 AM

New from Turner Classic Movies & Warner Home Video

August 5

Three New Greatest Classic Film Collections Include

Tennessee Williams, Esther Williams and Classic Moms

BURBANK, Calif., April 8, 2014 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc. (WBHE) and Turner Classic Movies (TCM) are adding three new collections to their Greatest Classic Film Collections line, which spotlights Hollywood’s greatest legends. Available August 5, the newest additions are: TCM Greatest Classic Films: Tennessee Williams, TCM Greatest Classic Films: Legends – Esther Williams Volume 1 and TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection - Classic Moms. Each collection features four classic films and is affordably priced at $27.92 SRP.

To build further momentum for these titles, WBHE has set the street date for the collections to coincide with the airing of one film from each collection on TCM. Additional promotional support will include on-air promotional spots on TCM and print advertising in TCM's Now Playing guide.

ABOUT THE COLLECTIONS

TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS: TENNESSEE WILLIAMS

BABY DOLL (1956) – Times are tough for cotton miller Archie (Karl Malden), but at least he has his child bride (Carroll Baker), who’ll soon be his wife in title and truth. Director Elia Kazan and writer Tennessee Williams broke new ground in depicting sexual situations in this funny, steamy classic.

THE ROMAN SPRING OF MRS. STONE (1961) – Vivien Leigh and Warren Beatty are lady and lover in this tender adaptation of a Williams novella. First paired up in A Streetcar Named Desire, Leigh and Williams create a similar spell here – at once romantic, sinister and nearly explosive. Directed by Jose Quintero.

SWEET BIRD OF YOUTH (1962) - Chance Wayne (Paul Newman) never found Hollywood stardom, but in his sleepy, sweaty Gulf Coast hometown, he’s still a star with the ladies. Sex. Money. Hypocrisy. Blackmail. Familiar elements of Williams’ literary realm combine as Chance battles private demons. Directed by Richard Brooks.

THE NIGHT OF THE IGUANA (1964) – Starring Richard Burton, Ava Gardner, and Deborah Kerr and directed by legendary filmmaker John Huston (who co-wrote the screen adaptation of Williams’ stage play with Anthony Veiller), this Oscar®[1] winner explores the dark night of one man’s soul.

TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS: LEGENDS – ESTHER WILLIAMS VOL. 1

BATHING BEAUTY (1944) – Esther Williams makes a big splash in her first starring role. She plays Caroline Brooks, a teacher at a women’s college whose ex-fiancé (a wacky Red Skelton) enrolls to be near her. Featuring an astonishing flames-and-fountains aquatic finale.

ON AN ISLAND WITH YOU (1948) – A paradise for musical-comedy fans! Williams (in a series of swimsuits and sarongs) plays a film star on a tropical location shoot who gets entangled in a series of romantic mishaps. A multitude of real-life stars, including Peter Lawford, fill out the cast.

NEPTUNE’S DAUGHTER (1949) – The polo team’s in town, and so is the fun for Williams, Ricardo Montalban, Red Skelton and Betty Garrett. Frank Loesser songs and one of Williams’ greatest splash-happy finales light up this Oscar[2] winner from director Edward Buzzell and writer Dorothy Kingsley.

DANGEROUS WHEN WET (1953) – Legendary cartoon cat-and-mouse team Tom and Jerry join Williams in this lighthearted extravaganza about a girl who attempts to swim the English Channel and meets a dashing Frenchman (Fernando Lamas) along the way.

TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS: CLASSIC MOMS

MRS. MINIVER (1942) – One of Hollywood’s most memorable spirit-lifters about an idealized England that tends its prize-winning roses while confronting the terror of World War II. Greer Garson (in a formidable Oscar[3]-winning Best Actress title role performance) and Walter Pidgeon star.

THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS (1942) – This second work from Orson Welles is a marvel of the writer/producer/director at peak form. The story of a bygone era based on Booth Tarkington’s novel, it follows the socially prominent Midwestern Amberson family, whose fortunes are undone by industrialization and pride.

MILDRED PIERCE (1945) – What Veda wants, her mother (Joan Crawford) provides. But will she murder for her daughter? When you think you have it figured out, along comes a shocking twist ending! This stylish noir film had five Oscar[4] nominations, plus a Best Actress win for Crawford.

I REMEMBER MAMA (1948) – Director George Stevens transitioned to the masterworks of his later career with this tender charmer from writer Dewitt Bodeen about a Norwegian immigrant family in San Francisco. Irene Dunne, Barbara Bel Geddes, Oscar Homolka and Ellen Corby give Oscar[5]-nominated performances.

Order Information:

Street Date: August 5, 2014

Order Due Date: July 1, 2014

SRP: $27.92 for each collection

TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS: TENNESSEE WILLIAMS

MAT: 1000491022

TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS: LEGENDS ESTHER WILLIAMS VOL. 1

MAT: 1000491024

TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS: CLASSIC MOMS

MAT: 1000483561

Academy Award(s)® and Oscar(s)® are registered trademarks and services marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 08:42 AM

Don't know about the other sets, but the Esther Williams set is a re-release, sort of.  The original TCM Spotlight release contained those titles listed, plus Easy to Wed.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 08 2014 - 01:44 PM

I love these sets and will happily pick up the Classic Moms and Esther Williams sets - they often go down to the $12 mark after a few months on Amazon. ;)

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 583 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 12:17 PM

And what about the blu-rays?  What an opportunity this could be for many of us to "upgrade".  Bet they'd sell a HELLUVA lot more and at a higher price if they would be "brave" enough to go that route.  Naw, guess I'm just  always dreaming.  Fox did it for Kazan, however, but then 20th Century Fox is now the one actually living in the 21st Century, I guess.

• Mark Mayes likes this

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 09 2014 - 01:22 PM

Again, SO MUCH CHEAPER for Warners to keep re-releasing their DVDs, especially because of the important fact that their inventory is now churned out by the Mexican disc manufacturing plants.  On the positive side, I haven't had a single problem with a Warners disc since they moved to Mexico.  

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 01:58 PM

Again, SO MUCH CHEAPER for Warners to keep re-releasing their DVDs, especially because of the important fact that their inventory is now churned out by the Mexican disc manufacturing plants.  On the positive side, I haven't had a single problem with a Warners disc since they moved to Mexico.  

Yeah, they cost WB virtually nothing outside of the raw materials to produce and are designed to be sold in wholesale bulk to massive brick and mortar department store chains like Wal-Mart.  I'm sure it makes them plenty because these 4-packs have been around for almost a decade and they are extremely safe investments.  The cost to produce these are so small compared to a title that needs expensive restoration and lab work that there is hardly any risk in not making sales projections and making a profit.

Still, it's better to have these sorts of releases than to have them either end up OOP or as individual MOD discs.

Fox did it for Kazan, however, but then 20th Century Fox is now the one actually living in the 21st Century, I guess.

Too bad they didn't do it for their Robert Mitchum and Frank Sinatra sets they released the same year.  Those two were also a sight worse because they crammed 5 discs into a narrow cardboard holding case with nothing but flimsy cardboard sleeves to hold them in.  Not even Mill Creek pulls that crap.  At least these WB collections have the sense to use keepcases.

Though I agree that the Elia Kazan set was great.  Too bad they haven't done anything like that since as that was released way back in 2012.  I'm thinking that set had some outside funding and is an exceptional case that's not likely to be repeated.  I hope I'm wrong though.  It would be a great way to release titles like the Charlie Chans.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 04:43 PM

WB is re-releasing the Tom and Jerry Spotlight V2 & V3 as a single pack and the same goes for Looney Tunes Spotlight 4 & 5 coming June 10th...aka double feature sets...http://www.tvshowson...-Volume-2/19669

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 09 2014 - 09:06 PM

Still, it's better to have these sorts of releases than to have them either end up OOP or as individual MOD discs.

I completely agree.  It's thanks to these TCM packs that OOP titles like "Stage Door", "Designing Woman" with Lauren Bacall, and "Little Women" with June Allyson have come back into print.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:22 PM

Cover art and pre-orders now up on Amazon.

81-P3msaqML._SL1500_.jpg

91rngO9tt9L._SL1500_.jpg

91uEjjL2XLL._SL1500_.jpg

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,048 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:34 PM

Well, if those Esther Williams titles were being offered in Blu ray -- I'd be getting wet immediately!

• Everett Stallings likes this

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:39 PM

Me too.  This is billed as 'Volume 1', so presumably Warners will be following up with another volume, most definitely with titles from the second TCM Spotlight Esther Williams set, which went OOP a few months ago.  Again I'm happy these sets keep films in print when their earlier releases are no longer available.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,622 posts

Posted April 10 2014 - 09:52 PM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• classicmovieguy likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,627 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 11 2014 - 04:24 AM

I have to express some surprise and delight at the films chosen for the Tennessee Williams set. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and A Streetcar Named Desire would have been more obvious choices.

I do wish the Gertrude Lawrence/Jane Wyman/Kirk Douglas The Glass Menagerie could have been included, but I don't know any of the four that I would have wanted to see replaced by it, and it has never been particularly celebrated. The version with Joanne Woodward and the Katharine Hepburn and Shirley Booth TV versions all got better reviews in their day.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted April 11 2014 - 05:49 AM

Well, if those Esther Williams titles were being offered in Blu ray -- I'd be getting wet immediately!

This is 2014 please release these on BLU-RAY !!!.

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   JoelA

JoelA

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts
  • LocationThe Western Reserve, Cleveland, OH

Posted April 11 2014 - 07:01 AM

Same here Anthony and Everett. Would love to see Esther's films on BRD!

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 04 2014 - 05:07 PM

Do we know what sets are coming after these yet?

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,314 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 10:41 AM

Not yet brought up but will Baby Doll be the same full frame version they originally put out or has it been remastered for its proper 1.85 aspect ratio? If it's anamorphic wide screen I might double dip.

• Robin9 likes this

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted August 05 2014 - 04:45 PM

Not yet brought up but will Baby Doll be the same full frame version they originally put out or has it been remastered for its proper 1.85 aspect ratio? If it's anamorphic wide screen I might double dip.

Warners normally just repackages the same discs, so likely not.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users