Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iOS 8

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#121 of 137 OFFLINE   Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,060 posts

Posted October 08 2014 - 05:31 PM

It's not a universal problem, and I don't think it's widespread. I don't see massive complaints at MacRumors. My wife hasn't noticed either.

Good to hear.  Thanks!

You want to upgrade again?!!

#122 of 137 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,974 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted October 08 2014 - 05:41 PM

http://www.macrumors...tion-stagnates/I'm ambivalent about iOS 8 upgrade. New features I love. But I spent a weekend on the phone with AppleCare after it clobbered my iCloud, and it's slashed hours off my battery life.And the marquee features are half-baked (Health) or not fully thought out (Keyboards and Family Sharing).

Or not. It's the storage space, not perception of bugs that keep people from updating.?

http://jonhoover.tum...-just-two-and-a

#123 of 137 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,882 posts

Posted October 09 2014 - 01:22 PM

Yes, that's certainly a deterrent... although I haven't updated in part because I don't want my iPhone5c nor iPad3 to suffer in performance, yet-to-be-ironed-out bugs, etc. -- in the case of my company phone w/ just 16GB storage (and just ~13.2GB actually usable), I'm also reluctant about the probably larger footprint of iOS8... though I haven't checked that aspect out yet.  I'm fine w/ just waiting a while like I usually do...  :P

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#124 of 137 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,974 posts

Posted October 09 2014 - 06:50 PM

I haven't updated my iPad 3. Not sure if I will. 

My wife is now getting clobbered by battery drain from Mail consuming 30% of background activity. Need to try a reboot. grumble grumble.

#125 of 137 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,979 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 20 2014 - 09:49 AM

8.1 is out with Apple Pay.  BACKUP BEFORE UPGRADING!  =)

http://www.imore.com...g-thats-changed

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#126 of 137 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,950 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 10:17 AM

Because I just never learn...I jumped without checking my parachute.  :P

Updated both iPhone 6 and iPad Air with 8.1 over-the-air as opposed to full-installer because Apple's servers were getting hammered so iTunes kept saying "unable to contact" but each iDevice could load the OTA. So far so good. Have cell service. Have wi-fi. Enabled SMS text forwarding from iPhone to both my iPad and MBP on Yosemite, both are working. You have to set it up in Settings, and your other devices need to be on because it sends a confirmation code to them that you have to enter into your phone, so don't try to do it if your other devices are not at-hand.

I hope Apple learns from the 8.0.0 - 8.0.2 unannounced public beta testing. Obviously we know of the 8.0.1 debacle of bricking phones (which I luckily skipped over). But from 8.0.0 - .2 my (and many others) Bluetooth was broken. My car kept dropping connectivity mid-call and kicking the call to the phone. Luckily I do not allow these type of things to distract me from driving, but I can easily envision this as a safety concern for drivers who may suddenly look at their phone and take their eyes off the road. The whole point of Bluetooth connectivity in the car is to allow the drivers to keep their focus on the road, and that's pretty damn hard when the connection from the phone to the car keeps dropping.

Also, there was another very simple deep breathing app I use that 8.0.0 - .2 broke, and the dev never got around to releasing an update. This simple app just has a voiceover telling you vocally when to breathe in and out, and suddenly that voiceover stopped working reliably. Guess what? 8.1 fixed it completely, same version of the app (hasn't been updated since 2013). So there was something inherently wrong or broken with the code in 8.0.0 - .2 which was  finally remedied in 8.1. I'm sure it probably affected other apps too.

And a big "duh" to bring back camera roll. Not sure how the beta testers didn't tell Apple getting rid of camera roll was a very bad idea.

Hopefully it also fixes other things related to car and music functionality. Ever since 8.0 when I connect via lightning/USB to my car, which has always played nice with my iPod Classic, iPad pre-iOS8, and iPhone 5 and 6 pre-iOS8, intermittently I couldn't start music playing from the stock head unit, which is iPod/iPhone certified. I could navigate through songs and albums like normal, but selecting one to play wouldn't start it, I'd have to start it from iTunes in the phone.

I don't drive much (walk to work), so I don't know if I'll be able to test the Bluetooth and music-through-USB bugs until this weekend.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#127 of 137 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,950 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 10:37 AM

Oh and I'm sure others have different apps that also updated to quickly to Apple Pay, but for the apps I use, Open Table was the first one to issue an update designed to enable Apple Pay (it showed up as an update along with Apple Store app, right after I updated to 8.1). 

#128 of 137 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted October 20 2014 - 11:42 AM

Had a strange experience with updating my iPad 2 to 8.1.

I went the tethered route. Plugged my iPad 2 into my MBP (10.9.5 w/iTunes 12), iTunes indicated there was an upgrade available as expected, so I started the upgrade process (8.0.2 to 8.1).

iTunes and the iPad went through the upgrade procedure as expected. When finished, I checked the iPad in iTunes and it said I still had 8.0.2 and that there was an upgrade available. So I figured something zigged when it should have zagged and did it again.

This time I downloaded 8.1 first, once that was done I performed the upgrade. Same thing happened, everything appeared to go smoothly, no errors or hiccups but when it was finished it showed the iPad as having 8.0.2 and said there was an upgrade available.

At this point I decided to try over the air, I quit iTunes and unplugged the iPad from my MBP, then went to do the update over wifi through my iPad. Much to my surprise, the iPad indicated 8.1 was installed and no updates were available. Fired iTunes back up and connected the iPad again and it also now indicated 8.1 was installed.

So, for some reason, iTunes did not understand that it had upgraded my iPad to 8.1 and wanted to do it again. Weird.

-Keith

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#129 of 137 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,979 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 12:11 PM

Both my iPad Air and iPhone 6+ upgraded without a hitch.  Checking out Camera roll next!

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#130 of 137 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,974 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 01:16 PM

8.1 is out with Apple Pay.  BACKUP BEFORE UPGRADING!  =)

http://www.imore.com...g-thats-changed

Okay dokey :)

Connected, backing up, and downloading iOS 8.1 

#131 of 137 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,974 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 01:18 PM

By the by: how dangerous is it to not encrypt my iPhone / iPad backups?

My iPhone 4 backup was encrypted. But I didn't save the password. And I lost personal data and generally had a painful transition to the 5s. So in reverse paranoia, I've not encrypted my iPhone 5s backups. How dumb am I being?

#132 of 137 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,950 posts

Posted October 20 2014 - 01:25 PM

As dumb as I am. No idea how important this is.

#133 of 137 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,979 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 06:34 AM

Not something I have paid particular attention to till now because I didn't keep financial stuff on my phone.  With Apple Pay, I may now need to.

Apple pay worked great at Walgreens yesterday for my pharma pickup.  Paid in 3 seconds, took longer to tell the clerk about it than to do it =)

The thing I REALLY like but I need to watch is it sends a notification for ALL credit card transactions even those not on Apple Pay to the phone.  15 minutes before I used Apple Pay the first time I used my Amex at a local gas station and bought $43 worth of gas.  A few minutes after my Walgreens transaction I got a phone alert for $100 charge at the gas station.  So I don't know if they do a flat pre-approval charge and then work out the exact charges later or if somehow my card got skimmed at the gas station.  Will have to pull up the website and see when I get home tonight, I forgot to do so last night.

Guys trying to hide charges from your wives be aware of this new tattle-tale =)

Of course I can see the headlnes now:  Apple Pay ruined my marriage when my wife saw me buying new camera gear without her permission =p

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

#134 of 137 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,950 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 07:39 AM

What's interesting to me is that Apple Pay is shown to work internationally. I know Europe is moving more and more towards chip and pin cards. Last time I was in France in 2011 I was still able to use my standard credit cards, but I hear the next time I go (likely next year some time) that may get more difficult. I just got my first chip and pin card so I can at least use that one, but it's nice to see that Apple Pay may also be an option by the time I go back.

#135 of 137 OFFLINE   Tim Gerdes

Tim Gerdes

Second Unit

• 251 posts

Posted October 21 2014 - 10:47 AM

15 minutes before I used Apple Pay the first time I used my Amex at a local gas station and bought $43 worth of gas.  A few minutes after my Walgreens transaction I got a phone alert for $100 charge at the gas station.  So I don't know if they do a flat pre-approval charge and then work out the exact charges later or if somehow my card got skimmed at the gas station.  Will have to pull up the website and see when I get home tonight, I forgot to do so last night.

Generally, yes, the gas station will pre-approve fueling charges to a specific limit. From my experience in NJ, it tends to be $100. When the charge posts to your account a few days later it is for the purchased amount. 

I wonder if there is a way to have Apple Pay notify you only of posted transactions and not of pending transactions.

#136 of 137 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,974 posts

Posted November 15 2014 - 05:49 PM

Anyone using third-party keyboards? How do they work for you? My experience is that Apple's implementation so far is half-baked. I just submitted this to both Swype and to Apple:

* Swype often reverts back to the standard iOS keyboard in iMessages

* Swype doesn't work correctly in Contacts. Tapping the backspace button in Swype causes unpredictable behaviors, like jumping to a different field and also switching the keyboard to the standard  one
* Swype doesn't work in AppStore for reviews. The entry fields are hidden. I must switch to the standard keyboard to see the fields to enter text

#137 of 137 ONLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,979 posts

Posted February 17 2015 - 10:52 AM

Huge:

http://www.macstorie...m-share-sheets/

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic