-

Photo
- - - - -

Can I use active shutter 3d glasses on a 2d television?

Digital HD

Best Answer Chuck Anstey , April 08 2014 - 08:16 AM

It has been already answered that you cannot but a reasonable question is why not? when your 2D TV does 120Hz.  To me the answer is quite horrible.  Because the TV manufacturers all build their TVs to a specific HDMI spec and tie it all together rather than separate the display from the decoder so that you could update the decoder quite cheaply as new HDMI standards come out.  Many existing 2D TVs could have been upgraded to 3D but the manufacturers would rather force you to buy a whole new display.  Same goes for today's digital projectors.  My old Sony analog CRT projector, made before HDMI even existed was able to be upgraded to accept HDMI for just a few hundred dollars.  It could also be upgraded for 3D although the results were not very good.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   retaeht

retaeht

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:45 PM

Can I use active shutter 3d glasses on a 2d television?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 06 2014 - 06:52 PM

No.
The tv and the content displayed on it have to be 3D and the 3D tv needs to be active not passive.
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted April 06 2014 - 08:48 PM

Well, you can if you want, they just won't do anything.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,207 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted April 07 2014 - 05:04 AM

I have to admit curiosity as to the genesis of the question.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   retaeht

retaeht

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 07:54 AM

No.
The tv and the content displayed on it have to be 3D and the 3D tv needs to be active not passive.

I'm not sure how active 3d works, but from my understanding: the tv shows a frame which is meant for the right eye and the glasses block the left eye from seeing it and then vice-versa. Why wouldn't it work? Does this mean that active 3d glasses and passive 3d glasses both require the same type of television? If so, what's the point of active if it's more expensive?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 07 2014 - 11:14 AM

You're not going to get any 3D images from a 2D television, regardless of the type or presence of any glasses.

• FoxyMulder likes this
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted April 07 2014 - 11:24 AM

I have to admit curiosity as to the genesis of the question.

The first question most people ask about a 3D setup is "Can I save money and only buy ONE of the three pieces?"   :lol:

(That's like buying a car by getting the tires first.)

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 07 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm not sure how active 3d works, but from my understanding: the tv shows a frame which is meant for the right eye and the glasses block the left eye from seeing it and then vice-versa. Why wouldn't it work? Does this mean that active 3d glasses and passive 3d glasses both require the same type of television? If so, what's the point of active if it's more expensive?

Passive is half vertical resolution and you will also see dark lines visible in the image, just to be fair some people see flicker with active glasses, i do not, flicker is visible if you have any lights on and in your field of view with active shutter glasses.

The above refers to 1080p televisions, 4K televisions should be great with passive technology although i'm not sure if the dark lines will still be there, all competent reviews i have read of passive 1080p sets mention the half resolution and dark lines.

Active shutter glasses cannot turn a 2D television into a 3D one.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted April 08 2014 - 08:16 AM   Best Answer

It has been already answered that you cannot but a reasonable question is why not? when your 2D TV does 120Hz.  To me the answer is quite horrible.  Because the TV manufacturers all build their TVs to a specific HDMI spec and tie it all together rather than separate the display from the decoder so that you could update the decoder quite cheaply as new HDMI standards come out.  Many existing 2D TVs could have been upgraded to 3D but the manufacturers would rather force you to buy a whole new display.  Same goes for today's digital projectors.  My old Sony analog CRT projector, made before HDMI even existed was able to be upgraded to accept HDMI for just a few hundred dollars.  It could also be upgraded for 3D although the results were not very good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Digital HD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users