What's new

Audio issue with my laptop (1 Viewer)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Today I was browsing the internet, and my computer momentarily froze then rebooted automatically. When the computer was restarting an audio source of unknown origin began playing over my speakers (laptop) that sounded like a television broadcast. The best way I can describe it would be like listening to a "not quite in tune" radio station where multiple sources are being received at the same time with static as well.

The weird thing is, is when I open my speaker settings and go to the "mixer", it displays a source that states "Name Not Available" in the same heading area as "Speakers" (under "Devices") and "System Sounds" (under "Applications"). I looked in the Task Manager, and I couldn't see anything that might point me to the source.

I tried searching the internet for an answer, and I can't find anything similar to what I am experiencing.

I ran "Malwarebytes" and no problems were found. I even ran my virus scan with no results.

Does anyone have any information in regards to this?

Thanks in advance.

Brett

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Brett_B said:
Today I was browsing the internet, and my computer momentarily froze then rebooted automatically. When the computer was restarting an audio source of unknown origin began playing over my speakers (laptop) that sounded like a television broadcast. The best way I can describe it would be like listening to a "not quite in tune" radio station where multiple sources are being received at the same time with static as well.

The weird thing is, is when I open my speaker settings and go to the "mixer", it displays a source that states "Name Not Available" in the same heading area as "Speakers" (under "Devices") and "System Sounds" (under "Applications"). I looked in the Task Manager, and I couldn't see anything that might point me to the source.

I tried searching the internet for an answer, and I can't find anything similar to what I am experiencing.

I ran "Malwarebytes" and no problems were found. I even ran my virus scan with no results.

Does anyone have any information in regards to this?

Thanks in advance.

Brett
Were your speakers active while Windows was still loading, before the OS was actually running?

If so, my guess is you've got a neighbor with a powerful CB or shortwave radio (or other transmitter) with enough power that your speaker wires are getting enough signal (as poor antennas) and playing you that signal. This I've experienced in certain ways over the years.

Perhaps the transmitter burst enough noise that your computer was overwhelmed, crashed and reboot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks