What's new

Amadeus - 30th Anniversary? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Has anyone heard whether or not Warner might be preparing a 30th anniversary edition of Amadeus? I heard rumors a while back, but nothing concrete.

I actually don't own the current Blu-ray, due to all the negative reviews. From what I understand, this film could do with a remaster.

I also would hope that any future release would include both the original version and the director's cut. The DC is still a good movie, but the original, with it's brisker pace and sharper focus, is a great one. Just my opinion, but I think a lot of fans of the film share it.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
One of my absolute favorite films. Yes, it would be nice to see a new release of the film from a new master and without lots of digital processing. Shame that we've reached a point where meaningless "anniversary" dates have to be used as an excuse to get one.

As for the Director's Cut and the Theatrical Cut, I've always preferred the longer DC. To me, it fleshes out the characters much more, especially Salieri and his motives. I would definitely like the DC present on any new release, as that's the only way I'll watch this movie now.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I don't think I've ever seen the DC. I saw the theatrical version during its original run and was slightly disappointed. Perhaps because I had seen the original and very powerful B'way production (although with a replacement cast which included the talented and prematurely departed David Dukes as Salieri; and yes, Luke Skywalker himself (Mark Hammill) as Mozart, acquitting himself rather well). Perhaps because I've always preferred Forman's Czech work over his Hollywood output...I don't know.
What I do know is that Salieri's renunciation of God as played on B'way was so powerful that it lessened, for me, the impact of the same scene in the film version.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I much prefer the theatrical cut and would love to get it on Blu. IMO the extended cut turns Salieri from a tragic figure into a mustache-twirling villain.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Aaron Silverman said:
I much prefer the theatrical cut and would love to get it on Blu. IMO the extended cut turns Salieri from a tragic figure into a mustache-twirling villain.
That's kind of how I feel. When I first saw the director's cut, I felt the pacing issues and character-building scenes basically cancelled each other out, and that the two cuts came out about even.

However, when I went back and watched the original version again, I realized that those extra scenes actually were a detriment to Salieri's character arc. He's vain and arrogant from the start, but the director's cut makes him an outright evil monster way too early in the story. And the scene in the diva's dressing room just makes him look stupid.

Like I said, though, I would hope a new release would include both versions. I imagine seamless branching would work, but there are actually a couple of things in the theatrical that aren't in the director's cut, so they'd have to be careful, of course.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I would like a Blu-ray of the theatrical version. I've got the DC on DVD and felt that most of the extra scenes merely made the movie longer (and made it feel longer). Ideal would be both versions, but I would settle for theatrical only. If it's DC only, I'll stick with the DVD.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Bryan Tuck said:
However, when I went back and watched the original version again, I realized that those extra scenes actually were a detriment to Salieri's character arc. He's vain and arrogant from the start, but the director's cut makes him an outright evil monster way too early in the story. And the scene in the diva's dressing room just makes him look stupid.

Like I said, though, I would hope a new release would include both versions. I imagine seamless branching would work, but there are actually a couple of things in the theatrical that aren't in the director's cut, so they'd have to be careful, of course.
Shaffer wanted to suggest that half of Salieri's envy was just plain sexual-frustration outlet as a good Catholic--Which explain why he first starts burning grudges over Mozart when he finds out his opera diva had an affair.
In the extended version of Constanze's nude scene, it's suggested that he's leading himself into temptation and asking God to get him out of it, and feels "betrayed" when He doesn't. In the TC, Salieri swoons over Mozart's sheet music, 'Stanze asks, "You will not help us?", Salieri walks out of the room without a word, and cut immediately to "We are enemies, You and I..."--Any questions? Forman kept the focus on the music, even if the screenwriter kept getting distracted.

But, Warner didn't bother to remaster the theatrical (when they 4K mastered the DC for high-profile DVD), so you know what happens when we ask Warner to throw money at something. :(

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I see what you mean, but I think that it could have been handled better. They could have illustrated sexual frustration without making him out to be a borderline rapist. (It's bad enough that even the TC is an incredible character assassination of the real Salieri -- good thing he was long dead!)

Not that I minded the nudity -- I originally saw the movie in high school music class, and when I saw the DC my first thought was "I can't believe they deprived our teenaged selves of this!" :lol:

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I will absolutely buy a remastered version with the theatrical version. I have been holding off for two reasons:

1. The quality of the current Blu-ray of the Director's Cut.

2. The version that won Best Picture in 1985 is not on Blu-ray, which is a travesty. Off the top of my head, I believe Amadeus is the only Best Picture Oscar winner (certainly in modern times) to suffer this indignity.

My hope is that Warner have finally made this last point right in time for an anniversary release this year. It is quite silly that we have a Best Picture Oscar winner on Blu-ray in a version that didn't actually win Best Picture, or any of the film's other Oscars or awards.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
McCrutchy said:
I will absolutely buy a remastered version with the theatrical version. I have been holding off for two reasons:

2. The version that won Best Picture in 1985 is not on Blu-ray, which is a travesty. Off the top of my head, I believe Amadeus is the only Best Picture Oscar winner (certainly in modern times) to suffer this indignity.

My hope is that Warner have finally made this last point right in time for an anniversary release this year. It is quite silly that we have a Best Picture Oscar winner on Blu-ray in a version that didn't actually win Best Picture, or any of the film's other Oscars or awards.
...such as for editing :) (Okay, it didn't win, but it was nominated.)

As for other Best Picture winners not in their original version on Blu-ray, I believe Lawrence of Arabia is slightly different, although that film was cut a few different ways over the years, and we're probably lucky to have it as close as it is now.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
McCrutchy said:

3. It's NOT the "Director's Cut" if the director hates it.

(C'mon, this's the Forman that protested TV-broadcast alteration and full-frame airings of Hair and Cuckoo's Nest, and made network disclaimers required from now on, where's his auteur tantrums now, when we need them?)

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Aaron Silverman said:
I see what you mean, but I think that it could have been handled better. They could have illustrated sexual frustration without making him out to be a borderline rapist. (It's bad enough that even the TC is an incredible character assassination of the real Salieri -- good thing he was long dead!)

Not that I minded the nudity -- I originally saw the movie in high school music class, and when I saw the DC my first thought was "I can't believe they deprived our teenaged selves of this!" :lol:
I still think that the Director's Cut actually attempts to make Salieri more than just a two-dimensional character. It makes him at once a sympathetic yet petty figure. It adds layers to the reason why he hates Mozart, both musically and otherwise, and greater depth to the intrigue which he weaves around plotting Mozart's downfall.

Plus of course, since much of the additional footage in the DC is centered around Salieri, it means we get to see so much more of F. Murray Abraham's brilliant acting.

So again, any new release needs to have both versions to accommodate both camps, as I don't think it's fair to dismiss the Director's Cut. That is unless the Director himself has a very strong objection to it, and states his preferred cut as being the Theatrical one.

As for the character assassination of Salieri, unfortunately the movie does almost as much of a disservice to Mozart. Mozart's portrayal as someone who constantly swings between foppish drunk and hard-working genius, a waster of money and a womanizer is not remotely true. Furthermore, his work was not perfectly formed in his head - we have numerous corrected drafts of his music as evidence of that. He had several children, some of whom died quite young. He did not die an obscure pauper's death. I could go on and on, but the point is that the movie must be accepted entirely as a work of fiction, and certainly not (as I've unfortunately had people tell me), any sort of "reasonable approximate" of Mozart's life and times.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Excellent point about Mozart, Koroush.

I think the reason this is a bigger deal than, say, Lawrence is because the two cuts of Amadeus have very significant differences. It's not a case of a nip here and a tuck there; regardless of which version one prefers, they are very different films.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
McCrutchy said:
Dances with Wolves is in the same situation in the US, though the theatrical version is available in the UK.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
cafink said:
Dances with Wolves is in the same situation in the US, though the theatrical version is available in the UK.
Is the theatrical JFK (without the talk-show scene) still available?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I don't think the theatrical version of JFK has ever been available on Blu-ray, at least not in the US.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I recall so vividly, my wife and I going to the movies in October 1984 to see BODY DOUBLE, and we couldn't get in, because it was sold out. Playing in other auditoriums was THE TERMINATOR and AMADEUS. She wanted to see AMADEUS and I wanted to see THE TERMINATOR. I said, why limit ourselves, why not see both? She agreed, and because of the start time, THE TERMINATOR was what we saw first. I couldn't have loved that film more. Well, all I can say is, while I find AMADEUS a well-made film, it simply cannot follow an experience like THE TERMINATOR. It just seemed so dull and long, by comparison. I've always wanted to see it again, but I never read anything good about any of the various video releases, including the laserdisc, DVD or Blu, so I never have. I would welcome a well-reviewed re-release on Blu-ray.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I have the huge Laserdisc box, which was/is glorious. I would love to have this on blu-ray, and hopeful a re-release as described above is in the future.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
McCrutchy said:

I've been holding off for the same two reasons!
Amadeus is my favourite period film! (and in my 10 favourite films ever)
This year is a perfect opportunity for a new remastered release (including the theatrical cut of course), but I'm afraid we won't see any! :(

CineCraft

Agent
Real Name
Brian Rose
This is perhaps my favorite film of all time. It speaks to me on a personal level far greater than any other film...except perhaps for "The Passion of Joan of Arc." I've seen both versions numerous times, and I strongly favor the longer cut for the way in which characters are further fleshed out. Elizabeth Berridge's role is a revelation. I'm convinced that had all her scenes remained in the cut of the film released in theaters, she would've been nominated for an Academy award. It's that good.

That being said, I'm a completist, and I absolutely support making both cuts available. It could be done via seamless branching like the Bladerunner films. And it absolutely needs a new transfer. The existing blu-ray master is likely a 1080 HDCAM master made in the early days of HD. It demands a proper 4K scan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks