• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 04 2014 - 10:14 AM

I don't know if anyone on this forum would care too much about this film/release, but the Redemption/Kino Blu-ray of The Flesh and Blood Show (1972) that came out last month has the 10-minute finale 3D sequence on the disc as a separate bonus selection in both stereoscopic for 3D televisions and anaglyph, according to online reviews.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 4 StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 04 2014 - 10:43 AM

Is it worth enduring the rest of this dreary movie though. As I recall, probably not.

#3 of 4 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,144 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 04 2014 - 10:52 AM

I wouldn't know - never seen it. Just figured it was worth noting here since this is the first 70s 3D film to get a proper 3D Blu-ray release, even if it's just a short sequence.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 4 StephenDH

StephenDH

Stunt Coordinator

• 148 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 04 2014 - 09:10 PM

Even by Pete Walker's none too high standards, it's something of a dud. He also made The Four Dimensions of Greta which has some 3D sequences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users