What's new

Owen Gleiberman laid off by Entertainment Weekly (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
THAT's a shame.

They've seen quite a few talented people leave them in recent years.

The print business is hell right now. And EW has taken great pains to work hard at publicizing their e-apps.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Though I have an EW subscription, I barely read the new issues much anymore. But I think I usually agreed more with Owen's movie ratings over Lisa's over the long run.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I tended to align with Owen more than Lisa as well. WIth Lisa at times I had no idea what she was trying to say until the second or third reading.

The content from unpaid bloggers strategy is a little unfortunate.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The talented people at that magazine will get other jobs (probably lower paying) and I'm sure some new people will get exposure and immediately abandon EW when they can actually make money for their efforts. The only reason that I find this distressing is because I'm sure it's the shape of things to come in the field of journalism (I hesitate to refer to bloggers as journalists but what the hey) and 'real' newspapers and magazines will start doing the same thing relatively soon.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There's a good documentary about film critics on Netflix called FOR THE LOVE OF MOVIES. I recommend people watch it as it introduces a lot of interesting questions about the future of critics and their place in film history

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks