Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2 Questions Before starting to build.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 MikeGee

MikeGee

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 07:40 AM

Hey guys,
Okay so I have a few questions or opinions on my home theater build.
I uploaded pictures i roughly drew out in Googlesketchup this morning.

Basically the room is 18x14'  which will have a 7.2 setup with bass shakers in the couch, i have a 92" projector screen which will be hidden in a soffit of sorts on the ceiling. as well as a 42" tv behind it until I can afford a bigger screen or tv. Eventually will also have a U shaped sectional that will be wall to wall.

Judging  by the pictures i posted, my 2 questions are:

1)  At the front of the main wall on the upper left corner i have a 45 degree slope which measures 3'wide and 3' down (stairs)
To center my screens should I center them to the room or center between the end of the stairs
Basicaly 14' wide so 7 foot on center   if i center between the stairs its 11' and 5'5 on center. I think asthetically center between the stairs looks better when entering the room but watching a movie if its room centered itd look better from the couch.

2)  Also in my picture i have my subwoofer built into the wall underneath my equipment rack.
Should i put my subwoofer there or should i put it in front of the storage door under the stairs (Lower right)  I like the look of it out of the way as its a pretty big bulky subwoofer i built. Just curious with bass performance. (5.5cu ft Dayton quattro with a 300w Bash)

Also if anyone can lemme know from their input or experience if this setup seems like it is well set up.

Thanks for suggestions
Very excited to start this project.

Attached Thumbnails

• designfront.jpg
  • designrear.jpg
  • designrearnowall.jpg

#2 of 4 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,838 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 04 2014 - 08:39 AM

Depends if your sub there will mess with your BD/DVD player.

How far out are you mounting the screen? AT?

#3 of 4 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 04 2014 - 08:42 AM

I wouldn't have my seating against the wall, that can cause problems with rear speakers and bass response, if it's 18 feet from the screen and it's only a 92 inch screen then move that seating in by a good 10 feet, 8 or 9 feet from 92 inch is fine.

You put your subwoofer wherever the best response is without distortion, get yourself a disc and SPL meter and run some calibrations, indeed there are free tones you can download which deal with individual frequencies which will let you discover where your room modes are.  Make sure your ceiling is dark, white ceilings really kill contrast in projectors.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 4 MikeGee

MikeGee

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted April 04 2014 - 08:55 AM

it will be about 10-12" from the rear of the wall, it isnt too visible in my picture but i am putting a ledge behind the couch about 6" taller than the couch which will hold my 2 rear di-pole speakers as well as a place i can keep my remote plugged and charged.

If i put the sub there it will not actually touch the equipment rack so the vibrations will not directly shake the rack. Also the majority of my movies are played through my HTPC tower which will not be in the equipment rack but in the room behind and the sub is on spikes. The screen will be 12-18" off the wall to give clearance for the TV and wall mount.. Unfortunatly it is not an AT screen. Next one will be which is why I am not building everything enclosed with speakers behind as would be my goal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users